Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was thinking there'd be a big market for having similar conversations on an Irish based podcast focusing on GAA players - there's no shortage of heros in every county, ex players, greats managers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Listened to a few new podcasts recently, some of the back of recomendations from this forum.

Harmontown - Dan Harmon's podcast. Enjoyed it, but seem to veer into the Kevin Smith of "I don't need to edit, as everything I say is hilarious".

West wing podcast - Found this off a recomendation off here. Good comments on the show from a fan and from someone more impartial. Some great nuggets of american history as well.

BBC Soul Music - Listened to a very interesting episode from December on the significance of Fairytale of New York. One of the best podcasts I've listened to in a longtime.

Politico EU - Listen to one episode dealing with Brexit. Interesting but a little dry.

NPR Politics - Listened to 2 recent eps. Interesting but not essential.

Brett Easton Ellis - Listened to the Tarentino ep which is worth checking out.

I don't even own a Television - Podcast on bad books. Listened to the most recent one on 50 Cent's self help book, the 50th law. Really enjoyed it.

Dead Authors Podcast - Now defunct. Paul F Tompkins in character as HG wells interviewing literary figures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

steve_r wrote: »
    West wing podcast - Found this off a recomendation off here. Good comments on the show from a fan and from someone more impartial. Some great nuggets of american history as well.

Wouldn't have thought to search for a tWW one. Don't really have time to add another subscription, but might get around to it some day.

On Wittertainment last week, Simon Mayo spoke about having been in a coffee shop and someone who gave him a note with a hello to Jason Issacs (one of the show's main running jokes). I forget the exact context, but it turned out he had lost his father and this was somehow tied to the note. It was quite touching. Oh, and the bit about the Thunderbirds at the end was great.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06xxj5r

Snap Judgement episode #702 - Full Circle. Story of a solider who served in Vietnam and shot someone, eventually linked up with the family of the deceased. The remaining segment focused on a woman who was out running with her friend and how they encountered some wolves. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Listened to an episode of Hollywood Babble-On because I'd heard it featured Kevin Smith speaking from the heart about the late and great Alan Rickman.

It did and it wasn't hard to empathise with the mans genuine affection for his departed friend; it felt pretty real. My God though: the man does not stop cursing. Generally speaking, I don't really mind people cussin', but you know when someone just will not stop, when it's a link word between every other word: it's fookin annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I was listening to the Irish Times Inside Politics podcast this afternoon. The podcast has really improved since the start of the election campaign when they increased their output to three episodes per week.

The one today was with three "Others": Billy Timins, Catherine Murphy and Eamon Ryan. I can't imagine that the leaders' debate tonight being anywhere near as good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On Garrison Keillor's podcast they had a short skit that nails Donald Trump's rhetoric and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

Listened to all Coldplay songs today

NPR's Embedded, the first story involved the reporter seeing people shoot up on the liquid form of a drug they used to snort until the company changed the formula. Just some sad stories on the human side, because of sharing needles, HIV and what they people had been through. The second story was about the biker shooting in Waco last year. Again good and interesting to get an insight into motorcycle clubs, but a bit grim.

RTE's Doc on One Archive - Still Waiting for Joe. Story of a family and the loss of their son who was a firefighter on September 11th. Thought it was very moving, really very well done by RTE.

On the entertainment side, Mark Kermode's Celluloid Jukebox. He occasionally does a mini-series of podcasts separate to his film review one. I'm not that big into music, though film music is often interesting as to why some pieces are chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

old may it seems but Air Supply will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Listened to the "Tarred and Feathered" episode of This American Life today. The second segment is among the best work they've done, speaking to a 19 year old pedophile who hasn't acted on his urges and doesn't know how or where to get the help he needs. A really interesting and unusual take on such a sensitive subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

I'm currently listening to Joe Rooney's podcast "Pod-a-Rooney". He interviews people mostly from the entertainment business, from early life to how they got where they are. Pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭brevity

There is a podcast called The Australian Podcasts and they have 4 episodes called Bowerville.

It's basically another true crime story but I thought it was done very well. The final episode was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Listened to the Jon Stewart interview on "The Axe Files"

Good open discussion about American politics in general, the rise of Trump, his concerns about Clinton, and his concern that the politicians are better at campaigning than governing which the host challenges him on.

Tried to listen to "Football Fives" which, spoiler alert, is about Football. I think my appetite for sports podcasts has diminished a lot down through the years, there was a time I'd devour all the Off the Ball/Second Captains stuff but I just don't seem to have that hunger anymore.
    I tend to gravitate towards 30-40 min episodes that are quite focussed these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Stuff Mom Never Told you - great podcast presented by two really smart women. Avid listener for the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

brevity wrote: »
    There is a podcast called The Australian Podcasts and they have 4 episodes called Bowerville.

It's basically another true crime story but I thought it was done very well. The final episode was excellent.

Listened it today, very good but very sad.
    Not a podcast, but theres an ABC TV documentary called The Fishermen, similar theme, you'd probably like it.

This American Life episode 557. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/557/birds-bees

There was a segment involving young kids who had lost a parent to suicide. I mean, really young. It was heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Just discovered the Biggest problem in the universe podcast.....and found out its ending! Very enjoyable, easy listen

Also if any of you guys listened to the Lore podcast, its now being turned into a tv series!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Big fan of Sword and Scale. I saw another poster mention it. Really well put together show. On another note...Anyone else not get into season two of serial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Big fan of Sword and Scale. I saw another poster mention it. Really well put together show. On another note...Anyone else not get into season two of serial?

I listened to it hoping to become engrossed. It never happened. Bit of a let down

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

Causality is a great podcast about disasters, what lessons have been learned and how they can be prevented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I didn't expect this to be a good podcast but its great, really interesting ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

youngblood wrote: »
    Just discovered the Biggest problem in the universe podcast.....and found out its ending! Very enjoyable, easy listen

That was the best podcast I've listened to. Loads of laugh out loud stuff even if you didn't agree with them. Sad the way it ended though. If you haven't got them all, Dick put up a mirror website here: http://biggest.thedickshow.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Three years ago I started listening to 'This American Life'. I started at episode one and today I finally reached the end. All 590 episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Three years ago I started listening to 'This American Life'. I started at episode one and today I finally reached the end. All 590 episodes.

I've only started getting into podcasts recently. Was it worth it? Might do the same myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Synode wrote: »
    I've only started getting into podcasts recently. Was it worth it? Might do the same myself

It is certainly one of the better podcasts out there. There was something good to be found in every episode. Some were fantastic, I wish I had kept a note of which ones so that I could recommend them and some didn't appeal to me.

If you want to try it I wouldn't recommend just starting at the beginning. Try starting at the first episode of a particular year and listening to a few in a row to see how you get on. If you are enjoying it then finish out that year and go and try another year. Maybe try listening to all the episodes from January 2016 until now. If you enjoy it go back and start 2015.

Most of their stories are still enjoyable as they tend to be timeless or surprisingly relevant despite their age. Occasionally they would do stories that seem strange now such as when they cover upcoming elections with George Bush and wondering who this Obama fellow is. But on the other hand some of it is more revealing as they discuss political decisions of the time and wonder how this fill effect the future.

I was very pedantic and listened to every story in every episode regardless of whether I was interested or not. In hindsight my time would have been better spent skipping over stories that didn't appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Well worth it, i'd second random episodes though. Pick subjects that you think will appeal to you, by the time you run out of them you will be listening to them all for the inevitable hidden gems.

Two that stick in my mind are the guy walking across America interviewing people, and the break up one where the reporter phoned Phil Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

I started listening to "documentary on one." It's all Rte documentaries. It's very good. I just listened to "high heels and horses." It was about a girl who was paralysed when a horse fell on her and her life since. It was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

noveltea wrote: »
    I started listening to "documentary on one." It's all Rte documentaries. It's very good. I just listened to "high heels and horses." It was about a girl who was paralysed when a horse fell on her and her life since. It was quite good.

Have "documentary on one" on my android smartphone but not available on my Roberts 93i internet radio, can anyone confirm this, maybe it's my fault, router not configured correctly, BBC podcasts working perfect, I'm using Google DNS, 8.8.8.8. 8.8.4.4.

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Oh_Is_This_Me?

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Episode 8 of Tanis is out, anyone listening to it?

It's a fake 'This America Life' style documentary about all kinds of spooky goings on. They've piled the mysteries on a bit thick so far and I think they will need to start solving them but it's a quality show with a great atmosphere.

I'm listening! Not sure if they have one but they need a wiki....it's getting so convoluted. I think I saw a wiki for The Black Tapes so there's probably one for Tanis too.

Advertisement