Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Recommend a Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭emc2

Music:

Song Exploder - A single song explained by the performer each week

True Crimes:

In the Dark - An unsolved kidnapping from 27 years ago when the podcast started gets solved by confession during it. Why did it take so long to solve?

Accused - A boyfriend is Accused of a murder and aquitted but police never follow up the investigation as they believe that they had solved it.

Breakdown -Following a case each season, now in season two follows a death of a young child with the case about to go to trail (october 2016)

General:

Lore - tells the background of lots of famous and not so famous folklore stories

Revisionist History - Malcolm Gladwells podcast if you enjoy his books you'll like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Gave a few goes at Those Conspiracy Guys, half decent listening but not something I'm going to stick with. Good to be light hearted on the topics but just find some of their joking about mass murder or child abductions a bit cringey although it's not something you wouldn't hear yourself down the pub.

In a four hour podcast half is their "witty banter"

Its a very hard listen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

emc2 wrote: »
    Accused - A boyfriend is Accused of a murder and aquitted but police never follow up the investigation as they believe that they had solved it.

Discovered this last night as it was popular in the iTunes chart. Going to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Just finished listening to Big Grande's The Teacher's Lounge. It's a six part improvised podcast purporting to be made by teachers in a fictional high school.

It's absolutely ridiculous as everything they come up with is taken as canon but if you're a fan of the style it works really really well.

It's on the Earwolf network.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

BackforFPL wrote: »
    Just finished listening to Big Grande's The Teacher's Lounge. It's a six part improvised podcast purporting to be made by teachers in a fictional high school.

It's absolutely ridiculous as everything they come up with is taken as canon but if you're a fan of the style it works really really well.

It's on the Earwolf network.

Is it not on Howl, the subscription service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

You Must Remember This looks at the often seedy history of Hollywood's Golden Age. Beautiful people, glamour, sex... it's got it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

des bishops podcast is good, some interesting guests and a very feisty one with maeve higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Heavyweight by Jonathan Goldstein is excellent, Only 3 podcasts up so far. I'd start with episode 2. Which about one of his friends trying to get his cds back from Moby

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

In the Dark - An unsolved kidnapping from 27 years ago when the podcast started gets solved by confession during it. Why did it take so long to solve?

This was ****ing great. Best thing I've heard since Serial and much much easier to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You Must Remember This looks at the often seedy history of Hollywood's Golden Age. Beautiful people, glamour, sex... it's got it all.

I'd second this recommendation. It's a consistently absorbing and entertaining podcast - who'd a guessed that all those stars had such miserable drug addled lives, eh? Some of the more recent stuff, when she went to ludicrous depth on Charles Manson, was just plain ol excellent journalism .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Heavyweight by Jonathan Goldstein is excellent, Only 3 podcasts up so far. I'd start with episode 2. Which about one of his friends trying to get his cds back from Moby

that was a great ep . his mate needs to start his own podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Recently hooked on NPR's How I Built This:
    http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

podcast history of our world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭donaghs

Revisionist History - Malcolm Gladwells podcast if you enjoy his books you'll like this.

Has he stopped making them?

For history, literature and science, BBCs In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Beautiful anonymous.

I'm 11 episodes in and i cant say there is one i didnt enjoy. The first one starts slow but i was hooked by the end. If you like American Life you'll probably enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Im looking for something a bit like Moncrieff, does anyone know something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if "no such thing as a fish" is suitable for an 11 year old? My son would really enjoy this kind of thing but is it more for adults?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Larsso30

If anyone is into true crime

Someone knows something. Brilliant really enjoyed the two seasons so far. Investigates two cold cases in Canada.

In the dark. About the kidnapping and murder of a boy in minnesota. Only 3 episodes in but find the story gribbing, If not the narrative to blame the police investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Larsso30 wrote: »
    If anyone is into true crime

Someone knows something. Brilliant really enjoyed the two seasons so far. Investigates two cold cases in Canada.

In the dark. About the kidnapping and murder of a boy in minnesota. Only 3 episodes in but find the story gribbing, If not the narrative to blame the police investigation.

I couldn't really get into Someone knows something but in the dark was fantastic.

Listening to criminal at the moment, it's hit and miss. Any other crime story pods out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I couldn't really get into Someone knows something but in the dark was fantastic.

Listening to criminal at the moment, it's hit and miss. Any other crime story pods out there?

Loads....are you looking for single stories told over a period of time or individual cases.

If you want a one case serialized you can try Breakdown, Serial, Undisclosed, Up and Vanished, Untold, Real Crime Profile, Missing Maura Murray

Shows that cover one case per show are Judge and Jeremy, Sword and Scale, Generation Why, Casefile, Insight, True Crime Garage, Vanished, Curiosity Kills, Court Junkie, Already Gone, Thinking Sideways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Worztron

LG1234 wrote: »
    Im looking for something a bit like Moncrieff, does anyone know something similar?

Preferably with someone without all the 'ums' and 'ahs' that Seán Moncrieff peppers his sentences with. The guy can't talk properly yet is on radio - what the hell? I like(d) the show in general but find him to be unbearable.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Apart from iTunes, is there a free website which will play them for you?

Like I have an app on my phone which I can subscribe to whatever podcast and it holds them all in a nice easy to use platform. Is there a website which will do this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Im using Podbean for android. relatively happy with it but is having freezing issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

Utah wrote: »
    Apart from iTunes, is there a free website which will play them for you?

Like I have an app on my phone which I can subscribe to whatever podcast and it holds them all in a nice easy to use platform. Is there a website which will do this for me?

I use Overcast. It's a free app on iOS with an accompanying website for listening. Highly recommended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if "no such thing as a fish" is suitable for an 11 year old? My son would really enjoy this kind of thing but is it more for adults?

I think it's fine for an 11 year old.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Hi,

I think it'd be fine. You should probably cherry pick a few random episodes and have a listen though, there can be some innuendo and stuff that would probably earn it a "PG" rating, but tbh I think an 11 year would be more than capable of handling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Im using Podbean for android. relatively happy with it but is having freezing issues!

Ok, I'd use Podcast Addict. Just looking for similar I can use on a laptop
    MillField wrote: »
    I use Overcast. It's a free app on iOS with an accompanying website for listening. Highly recommended :)

Would it work without having it attached to the iOS app?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hi,

Absolutely fine for an 11 year old. There's a few jokes with a bit of an edge sometimes, but it's all very light-hearted. To be honest he probably hears worse in the schoolyard, I know I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Worztron

For fans of the GNU/Linux (aka Linux) operating system.

Late Night Linux
    http://latenightlinux.com/feed/ogg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

Utah wrote: »
    Would it work without having it attached to the iOS app?

Yep you can use just the website if you want. But it doesn't support Android.

Advertisement