Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Recommend a Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Surprised nobody has mentioned 'The Savage Lovecast' hosted by Dan Savage.
    Dan is a lefty leaning liberal, savvy, gay, sex and relationship columnist who doles out relationship advice to all and sundry men, women, gay straight bi poly. Part of the appeal is a certain amount of voyeurism but it is also worth it as he also gives good clear eyed advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,422 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Really enjoying PJ Gallagher and Suzanne Kane's podcast Dubland. Very very funny.

Not sure it's a good one to listen to in work. It's only a matter of time before someone asks me why I'm crying. :)

Also available in your favourite podcast client (just search for dubland).

https://soundcloud.com/user-530592989

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Bit of a cross section of interests, but there's a new podcast out which i'm enjoying (4 episodes available) called The West Wing History Class :

"A fun, historical journey through Aaron Sorkin's landmark TV Drama, The West Wing.
    Part love-fest / part historical podcast, The West Wing History Class will look at both the events of each episode and the real world events that inspired them" - Hosted by Russ Frushtick & Chris Plante.

Fun for fans of the show or if your'e checking it out for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

comedy podcasts

the todd barry podcast
    do you need a ride (comedians giving other comedians a lift to or from LAX)
    the adam buxton podcast
    richard herring Leicester square theatre podcast
    tell em stevedave

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

comedy podcasts

the todd barry podcast
    do you need a ride (comedians giving other comedians a lift to or from LAX)
    the adam buxton podcast
    richard herring Leicester square theatre podcast
    tell em stevedave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I recently started listening to 2 more podcasts (like I'm not subscribed to enough already!).

The first one is "Unfictional" by KCRW.

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/unfictional

Description from the site:
    Fascinating documentary production and storytelling that covers the ground between the sophisticated and the profane. A half-hour of captivating stories of real life, created by the most talented producers from around the country...

I've only listened to a couple of these but I've enjoyed them so far.

The second one is "This is Actually Happening"

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/this-is-actually-happening

Description:
    First-person stories that explore what happens when everything changes.

All these episodes are told in first person with no commentary and they all start with the question "What if..."
    Some really interesting stories and perspectives in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Tumanbay is an excellent ten part drama series made by BBC radio 4, set in ancient Egypt. Central themes of power, class, trust and betrayal, all the good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

The Duncan Trussell family hour is very funny. And also can get quite deep and sh*t man! He's a stand up comedian, but is also big into spirituality and Buddhism and psychedelics etc. All very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

Connected on Relay FM is a good tech/Apple themed podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Mr E wrote: »
    Really enjoying PJ Gallagher and Suzanne Kane's podcast Dubland. Very very funny.

Not sure it's a good one to listen to in work. It's only a matter of time before someone asks me why I'm crying. :)

Also available in your favourite podcast client (just search for dubland).

https://soundcloud.com/user-530592989
    Really funny.
    Really had to fight back the tears of laughter in work today listening to the first 3 episodes.
    From crows that are as intelligent as a 4 year old to Beibers 'Mickey' to PJ's obsession with animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If anyone has an interest in things military and/or geopolitics, the below might be worth a look:

- Lawfare
    - War College
    - War On The Rocks.

This week, War College had a look at the secretive militaristic nation of Eritrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm not advertising here or anything - I am aware of the rules. But a podcast I'd recommend (if you're interested in music that is though) is Summer Songschool Show 2015 (National Concert Hall). You can search up Songschool on iTunes and you will see it there for free. It features interviews with the artists, including myself and plays each of their singles (beware of my horrible singing though :pac:, I have given up since then). I am recommending here because you might like music and might like to have a laugh (I piss myself laughing at it, especially me).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Grown Ups Read Things They Wrote As Kids - Despite 300 odd episodes, this feels like an absolute hidden gem of a podcast.

It's absolutely hilarious but can be quite serious at times. Definitely worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭allybhoy

That_Guy wrote: »
    Grown Ups Read Things They Wrote As Kids - Despite 300 odd episodes, this feels like an absolute hidden gem of a podcast.

It's absolutely hilarious but can be quite serious at times. Definitely worth a listen.

Thanks for that, recommend any stand out episodes to get a taste of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

allybhoy wrote: »
    Thanks for that, recommend any stand out episodes to get a taste of it?

I've only listened to the latest one. A nice mix of hilarity and seriousness to give you a taste of what they're about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I love Snap Judgement
    It's basically a storytelling podcast, with a central theme running through.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭rebeve

A follow on from serial -Its called Undisclosed .

No Agenda is another good one .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,692 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Loads of good stuff on prn.fm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Embedded, another NPR one seems good. It's in-depth journalism, like Serial, but only for one episode.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

"Beef and Dairy Network" is bloody brilliant. It's a new enough podcast, with only 9 episodes at about 10 minutes each. It's a parody podcast about beef and milk production. I listened to all the episodes today, and I'm hooked. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I'd second that Beef and Dairy podcast recommendation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Embedded, another NPR one seems good. It's in-depth journalism, like Serial, but only for one episode.

It's very good. Well worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Highly recommended:

'Friday Night Comedy from BBC Radio 4' - UK news and politics discussion with Miles Jupp and guests.

'The Jimmy Dore Show' - US politics with phone calls from politicians voiced by Mike MacRae (he does a great Vince Vaughan).

'WTF with Marc Maron' - Interviews with famous people. He recently replayed his talk with Garry Shandling due to his passing earlier this year. I'd recommend that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The Black Tapes is really good. I'm only two episodes in, but the crowd that did serial (npr or something like that?) were doing a small series on people with interesting jobs, and had picked a paranormal investigator to do an episode on. But it was so good they decided to do an entire series on it.

Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I was recently introduced to The Parapod by a friend and I really enjoy it.

It is basically two English comedians discussing the paranormal. One is an avid believer in ghosts and is actually a ghost hunter as a hobby but takes it very seriously. The other guy is the complete opposite and uses logic and reason to debunk the ghost stories. The banter between the two is fantastic and often hilarious. I think that is the main selling point - the comedian aspect adds the humour that distinguises it from more serious paranormal podcasts.

I've no real interest in the paranormal but find their conversations very entertaining.

The best way to describe it is a chat between Mulder and Scully if both were comedians. Definately worth checking out. You'll find it on soundcloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

'You are not so smart' is another one in the NPR sciency kind of mould that I came across lately and am enjoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I really hate that NPR style of podcast. The production style belongs to a US reality show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

BBC Radio 4 have a short 10 part series called "Museum of Lost Objects". It covers historical artifacts in Iraq and Syria lost or destroyed because of the fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Sportsjoe.ie have a new GAA podcast with Colm Parkinson. Each episode is about an hour long and is a panel based discussion show.

Colm Parkinson is either a love him or hate him type character but might be worth a listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭pavb2

http://www.untoldmurder.com/

I've been listening to this over the past few days the story of the unsolved murder of a private detective Daniel Morgan in 1980's London. There are so many elements and characters to this story, police corruption, cover ups, alleged suicide it is like a work of fiction.

Advertisement