Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just finished the Eamon Dunphy interview, twas very good. The extra time they can dedicate to the interview without breaks makes the show far more interesting for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Slightly awkward moment today when Eamon Dunphy asked them had they not heard about Johnny Giles being kicked out of School for playing Soccer.

You could almost hear Eoin thinking to himself "Did we talk to Gilesy about that? Should we mention an old Off The Ball Conversation?" ?

It was almost a 'Should we talk about things we said to John, now he's gone?" moment.
    Ah well, nice to hear Dunphy talking to the lads. Another quality show.

Edit: That happened only in my head. It was Brady, not Giles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Best show so far imo,plenty of time to delve nice and deep with the guests.Dunphy interview was very interesting.

Was it not Liam Brady who got kicked out of school for refusing to play in a GAA friendly before his inter cert?

Was it not Liam Brady who got kicked out of school for refusing to play in a GAA friendly before his inter cert?

You are right, I appear to have swapped Giles for Brady there :o
    I should really listen more carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Great show! Great to hear the lads back, and this one was nearly 2 hours. Very impressed by the podcast. I actually look forward to Tuesdays now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

not sure what to make of dunphy and kinnear after hearing about how they felt about playing for ireland. why did they bother? it sounded like an inconvenience for dunphy anyway, having to leave liberal england for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭Deedsie

not sure what to make of dunphy and kinnear after hearing about how they felt about playing for ireland. why did they bother? it sounded like an inconvenience for dunphy anyway, having to leave liberal england for a few days.

I don't know, as uncomfortable as his words were to hear it was great to get a feel for his actual experience of playing for Ireland. To see how emotional he was about it is always good to hear. He isn't wrong either about the apartheid in Irish Sport. An apartheid that is still present today in places. It's Dunphy though, he is always gonna try be that bit sensationalist?

I don't think it's fair to dismiss Joe kinnear's commitment to his international career based on Dubphys words.

Podcast is getting better and better, yesterday was great. Looking forward to next weeks already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I was surprised by what he was saying. From previous interviews, he always said he loved playing for Ireland but that the FAI were a shambles. And he always says the same for the current Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Great podcast again this week. The Eammon interview was very interesting, and i have a lot of time for Brian Kerr.

As for the GAA bit, really enjoyed that too. It's amazing how out of touch with the whole thing i've become since i stopped listening to OTB. Since very few of my friends are interested in it, the show was my main source of news/chat etc.

I still really miss both newsround bits though. It is definitely great to have the lads back, but the live element to the show is sorely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

That interview with Dunphy was fantastic.

It's a very interesting insight. I hope they can come back on the air full time soon.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread why don't they do two in a week? A monday/tuesday "review" show and a thursday "preview" show. Seems to me like a good idea.

It looks like they have the time and they could then get more regular slots in like US Murph etc.... on a weekly basis aswell as doing the lions, gaa, racing and any other story that tickles their fancy.

I personally liked the random sports guests and stories that they picked up on and brought to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

I use BeyondPod on Android and the feedburner URL is not working for me.

I don't want to stream. Can I download the MP3 anywhere? Any other podcasting s/w that works with this feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Nwm2 wrote: »
    I use BeyondPod on Android and the feedburner URL is not working for me.

I don't want to stream. Can I download the MP3 anywhere? Any other podcasting s/w that works with this feed?
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/Secondcaptainsitcom

This works for me on BeyondPod

I use Podcast addict, and was able to search for the feed to add it...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

thanks, that worked. Think I wasn't adding the "http://" or something!

It's that time of the week again...
    We tried... we tried so hard this week to get the show under a hour and a half. But we failed. And we're sorry. All we can offer by way of consolation is Richie Sadlier on Ireland against the Faroes, the very best GAA pundits in the land, Matt Williams on the Lions,and the return of the El Chuckle Brothers, Spanish based journalists Sid Lowe and Graham Hunter, on the return of Mourinho. We also welcome into studio one of the greatest hurlers of all-time, and the purveyor of one of worlds manliest handshakes, Nicky English. It's all in this week's Second Captains @ The Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

It's up on iTunes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Listened to an hour of it there. Good as ever, wish they'd get a regular (daily) show somewhere. And soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Listened to an hour of it there. Good as ever, wish they'd get a regular (daily) show somewhere. And soon.

"We will be announcing some exciting new developments over the next couple of days."

"We will be announcing some exciting new developments over the next couple of days."

Where did ya read that?

• Advertisement

krieture wrote: »
    Where did ya read that?

Mcdevitt said it in the last few minutes of the show - I skipped through the GAA bits.

Mcdevitt said it in the last few minutes of the show - I skipped through the GAA bits.

sounds promising

krieture wrote: »
    sounds promising

It does alright. I've convinced myself that its going to be a 2fm gig. New 2fm boss starts today. @secondcaptains has recently started following the RTE archive, RTE's head of sport and various RTE sports reporters on twitter- even Des Cahill. The RTE archive was referenced on last weeks show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

interesting the richie sadlier seems to be the only contributor that has nailed himself to this podcast only. he hasn't been on off the ball since the beginning of march. even gerry thornley of the irish times is still doing rugby on wednesday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another very good listen. Loved the bit at the start about all the young fellas being ripped these days, it's that sort of quirky stuff I missed when they weren't around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I really enjoyed it again, the trial by fire that is the Nicky English handshake was my favourite bit.

Does anyone have any guesses what the announcements might be? I think it might just be a second podcast each week. I think he said it was just big podcast related news. So I'd be amazed if it was anything to do with live radio.

I listened to the show, very entertaining as always. I must say that the quality is improving w.r.t. caller quality, sound levels, etc (or so it seems to me at least).

Whoever is in charge of putting together their soundbites/clips is very good, I liked the Dunphy bit at the end. Plus their humour is great (e.g. Pierce Brosnan's Irish Emigrant Shout Out, Murph's 'Continuity' Country Pages) :D

Shows that the show as a whole (i.e. the 5 lads) works great, they can be transplanted anywhere as a team and provide great work.

Hopefully announcement is more podcasts or back to radio, we live in hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I dunno why they feel the need to apologize for the length of these. They seem to want to go an hour and a half but they have so much to cover in a week of sport. I doubt people are complaining that the shows are too long, considering it has to be the same listenership that listened to 3 hours nightly.

It's really good to know the quality is as high as ever. I could listen to Sadlier for days.

I dunno why they feel the need to apologize for the length of these. They seem to want to go an hour and a half but they have so much to cover in a week of sport. I doubt people are complaining that the shows are too long, considering it has to be the same listenership that listened to 3 hours nightly.

It's really good to know the quality is as high as ever. I could listen to Sadlier for days.

I haven't really seen a complain that it's too long. I like the 1.5 - 2 hour length, I split it up through an evening... I actually prefer the podcast format myself, it was rare I listened to OTB live (unless I happened to be in the car), was always via podcast...

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    I haven't really seen a complain that it's too long. I like the 1.5 - 2 hour length, I split it up through an evening... I actually prefer the podcast format myself, it was rare I listened to OTB live (unless I happened to be in the car), was always via podcast...

They apologised on twitter for it being too long. I reckon they think that if its too long people will be put off listening to it. I personally skip the bits im not into.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement