Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

This evening I'm smoking a Peterson Harp 150 and University Flake

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Churchwarden

Brilliant videos Horsemaster. Meerschaum looks so easy to work with. But delicate enough not to be so careless with it. The artwork is amazing and the craftsmen are truly stand alone. Thanks for posting. But I have to say the first video of the Turkish mines reminded me of that old tv show Hands.
    I am putting an exhibition on next year in Dublin and hope to feature some hand crafted pipe designs. Wonder if Peterson's will play ball.

Ah, good aul Mick Mac. It reminds me of my Grand dad. Paxo maybe ask her to pick you up some W.O Larsen Signature in Duty Free. It has a similar taste. Cant get it here except if your traveling. Cant beat a good Churchwarden for that hot Ozzy climate.

That was my first ever pipe. The Peterson Harp 150. Well, a very similar pipe. My very very first pipe was hand made from a souvenir donkey's barrel and some bamboo, smoked with some Lyons tea leaves. My second was made from a clay make up jar with more bamboo. I was battered by my sister for both attempts seeing as it was her souvenir donkey I destroyed and her very expensive make up I chucked out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Brilliant videos Horsemaster. Meerschaum looks so easy to work with. But delicate enough not to be so careless with it. The artwork is amazing and the craftsmen are truly stand alone. Thanks for posting. But I have to say the first video of the Turkish mines reminded me of that old tv show Hands.
    I am putting an exhibition on next year in Dublin and hope to feature some hand crafted pipe designs. Wonder if Peterson's will play ball.

Incredible. I was watching Hands again only about 2 weeks ago. Previously, I contacted them (they sell the videos directly from their website). Its a husband and wife team. The husband was the one who does the camera work. I told it was a great series and if they thought of making a modern version now. The lady replied that its up to RTE as they can't do the show themselves as it is too costly. Shame really. Its a great show and they seem to be really nice people. Let me know if you need links to a few episodes of Hands.

What kind of an exhibition is this Churchwarden? Its too bad I am not in Ireland as I dabbled a bit in pipe crafting and they looked good. I gave them away. No harm in asking Peterson. I was hoping when I come back, I can start making my own pipes. I thought of getting in touch with Barbi as he teaches how to make pipes also. Peterson pipes are factory made but I bet I can still learn a lot from them about pipe making.

• Advertisement

Hands was an amazing show. The DVDs are very costly for the collection but well worth it. I I could get backing I would produce a contemporary series. I work in film production. There are many hand crafts still going so it would be great to keep them alive.
    The exhibition is an art exhibit. Cant say too much in public as people are very quick to rob ideas. Lets just say it would be an exhibition examining the many points of a famed character. 'nuff said.
    It would be great to see more handcrafted pipe makers in Ireland. Peterson seem to have the marke snagged. Plus with Mr Brog making cheaper pipes for import it would be difficult to break in. Except if the pipe design was outstanding.
    Check out this design. Very modern. Wonder how it smokes. Not too keen on the material but looks very slick. This design would be the kind to make pipe smoking more stylish
    http://www.yankodesign.com/2008/09/10/smooth-sophisticated-smoking/

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

im sure the anti smoking brigade would be outraged at a rte documentry on a smoking accessory being produced

I think Emmet might have a point there. I would love to see a show or documentary on traditional crafts with pipe making included. But I know it can be tough as anyone who gives backing to such a show can have a lot of bad publicity. Sad world we live in. I heard that they wanted to take away the iconic pipes in Santa Claus and Sherlock Holmes pictures. No problem about not being able tio give more information on the art exhibit. I am sure when the time comes, you can always give me links to the show with pictures.

That is indeed a modern and sleek looking pipe in that link. It reminds me of pipes by Vauen. I know there was another sleek pipe by Porsche design. You might be stopped more often by the Garda too asking what you got in the pipe! I am kind of old fashioned when it comes to pipe though. I stick to the classic shapes. When I get really brave, I might try to get a Danish freehand but thats about as modern as my backwards mind will go. As far as pipe making is concerned, I think handmade freehand pipes might be the way to go instead of starting a factory. I know there is a demand for them with a good profit margin for the pipe maker to make a living. I was thinking about making going through the latter route which will allow me to release a bit of my creativity and love in the Arts. I wish there was an old time pipe maker in Ireland who can teach me ropes in pipe crafting. The pipes I made were done from what I learned from the internet. I didn't have a proper pipe maker to teach me the craft.

Yes I am sorry to admit also that Emmet would be correct. But like all things, it is how you pitch the idea. The hand craft is something of beauty indeed so would be a shame to see it dying out because of Mary Whitehouse syndrome and the ongoing P.C world that is trying to take over with a fascist zeal. Sherlock Holmes without his pipe? The scandal indeed.
    I can mail you my idea for my exhibition Horsemaster. Just cant say in public. loose lips old boy.

Learning the craft from videos is one thing but learning from an actual craftsman is another. I can always put the feelers out and see if there are any left. There must be. I'd even say that some of the boys in Peterson's are aware of them or even have some working for them.

I have seen the Porsche design. I actually like it, Looks like a cylinder with a black finish. Vroom vroom. Again they are all nice to look at but taking a concept pipe out for a test smoke is another thing. I'm like yourself. I like my traditional variety.

Not a problem about the exhibition Churchwarden. I will wait till the exhibition is on. I have had plenty of my ships sunk due to loose and I perfectly understand.

I would be grateful if your feelers can get some information about folks being able to teach pipe crafting. I know a few folks in America who were willing to teach me. I was doing some refurbishing of pipes for free for some when I was in Eire. I learned quite bit aboure the engineering of the pipes through that experience. I can't wait to get back to Ireland to get back into the pipe world.

Another aspect to consider is starting a small pipe tobacco enterprise. A lot of old recepies have been lost and I hope to gather them and start making them in small batches. Additionally, I think ropes and twists made the old fashioned way might create a demand for these bacca. Although currently, a well know company makes them, they are almost all machine made. I think there is a museum in Germany that shows how they used to do it those days. Might be something I might get into later on if I see there is a market for it.

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas everyone. Hope you have a great Christmas by the fire with some nice tobacco and a beverage of your pleasure.

Many happy returns

Davidoff Flake Medallions and err...a Club orange !

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Happy Christmas fellow pipe smokers, I'll be enjoying some jackknife plug and a glass of Buffalo Trace burbon.
    Paxo

W O Larsen"s Signature in a Mr Brog 15" Churchwarden and Hibiscus tea. Ho Ho Ho

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

W O Larsen"s Signature in a Mr Brog 15" Churchwarden and Hibiscus tea. Ho Ho Ho

Hi Churchwarden,

Is the W O Larsen Signature as good as people say? I only ask because I'm looking for some tobacco recommendations!

A friend got me a pipe for Christmas and I've only tried three Peterson blends so far. I didn't really care for the luxury blend and the connoisseur's choice was OK but a nightmare to light and keep lit. So far I'm sticking to their De Luxe Mixture which I do like.

I've seen a couple reviews of the Larsen Signature and I was thinking of getting some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chopsie

Does anyone know of any decent tobacconists/pipe shops in Athlone?

Rob2D it is gorgeous. But then that is my personal taste. It is very similar to Peterson's Deluxe but has that extra body. It is very hard to get so import is the only way or get someone to check Duty Frees. It is worth a check. Do you prefer English blends or Aromatics?

Rob2D it is gorgeous. But then that is my personal taste. It is very similar to Peterson's Deluxe but has that extra body. It is very hard to get so import is the only way or get someone to check Duty Frees. It is worth a check.

Cool, I'll have a look for some online so.
    Do you prefer English blends or Aromatics?

I couldn't really say yet, I'm still new to this whole pipe thing! Cigars were my thing you see and i just bought the brand names I liked. But I could maybe see myself leaning more toward aromatics.

Learning about the different pipe blends is quite interesting though! :D

Then you will like Larsen's Signature. It is all about tasting different blends and seeing what sticks with you. The down side is that it can cost to buy blend after blend untill you find your perfect one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dangerous insomniac

Are there any pipe smoking clubs in Ireland? I've seen quite a few online and i think they are a good idea, it would be a great way to meet new people with similar interests.

• Advertisement

Opened a tin of Fox's Campanile tonight, pleasant enough smoke. Mild, mainly Virginia I think. Quite quick burning.

There is the Pipe Club of Dublin. They were active for a short time but seems to have vanished. So nothing at the moment. Maybe someone will have the time and energy to start a new one. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the review. The quick burn sounds a little off putting but on the other hand may be good for a quick "pipe break" at work. :)

Here is their web page Dangerous. I just checked it. Seems it is active again. http://pipeclubofdublin.com/

So my W O Larsen Signature arrived this morning and I couldn't wait to get home to try it out!

wo-larsen-signature-100-.jpg

It was smoked in my Lord of The Rings Aragorn pipe, made by Vauen:)

570_1.jpg

What can I say but, WOW:D When you first open the packet it looks and smells exactly like the Peterson De Luxe; however to my taste they could not be more different!:eek:

Whereas the De Luxe gives that initial burst of bitter flavour, the sweet Signature is much more subtle at first. From there it seems to take over the senses and in the end you are rewarded with a much more sophisticated and longer lasting smoke.

The fullness of flavour from this tobacco is sublime, and it is one that lingers long, increasing the relaxation factor. The flavour is somewhat hard to describe; suffice to call it "lovely". Also I found that no matter how much I puffed away, it was never harsh on the passageways, neither hot nor fast burning.

I had a most relaxing time smoking this in the garden, on a lovely evening looking up at the shooting stars in a beautifully clear night sky. After a while I forgot I even had a pipe in my mouth at all.

Many thanks to Churchwarden for giving me the final push to buy some of this wonderful blend;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

That W O Larsen Signature blend sounds perfect. I like the Peterson Luxury blend as well as the Peterson Gold blend, but they are the devils own to try and open again if you tighten the lid too much! I also smoke Mick McQuaids ready rubbed which is quiet nice too. I have started a website for cigar & pipe smokers where we can post pics, blogs and a forum if anybody is interested, no cost all free. rebelcigars.com from the name you can see I'm living in Co Cork!

Lush wrote: »
    they are the devils own to try and open again if you tighten the lid too much!

Oh my god THIS!!!!:eek:

Thought I was going to have to break out the angle grinder one day to get into my tin!:pac:

Rob2D wrote: »
    So my W O Larsen Signature arrived this morning and I couldn't wait to get home to try it out!

wo-larsen-signature-100-.jpg

Rob, where did you get the Larsen Signature blend from? Would really like to try it too…

:cool:

Lush wrote: »
    Rob, where did you get the Larsen Signature blend from? Would really like to try it too…

Right here:

http://www.pipe-shop.net/Shop/cgi-bin/his-webshop.cgi?f=NR&c=st1421&t=pipe_tobacco

;)

• Advertisement

Just wondering which you prefer…

Currently I only have the P Lip, but thats just how it worked out, not really by choice.

I think I'll make sure my next pipe has a fishtail just to try it. I'm sure many of you have both types in your collection, so what's your preference and why?

Advertisement