Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula E - Gen.2

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I did enjoy when it was on VM2/VM3; but after they decided it was only going to be available behind a €20/30/whatever-it-is-per-month paywall, I can't be arsed even acknowledging them as a broadcaster...

One of the main reasons I don't have Sky! I have VM as my provider so not an issue with this. Also IPTV helps..

Was a good race. Only yellow flag was on the final lap was Sims car dying I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just watched a full replay on the BBC red button. Decent race and no yellows until the end. Good racing with a good few overtakes. JEV is driver of the day with that effort but shame Gunter pipped him on the last lap. I like Gunter as a driver, good skill and great racer for such a young lad - I'm thinking he should be in F2 instead vying for F1.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

I know everybody is going on about the great race JEV had which is true, however, Mitch Evans probably had an even better race, starting in last and making 6th in the end. Considering his composure in the last race I dare to think how the race could have ended up if he had manages to qualify. His teammate Collado went in the opposite direction though.

The TechCheetah have a great driver line-up, well balanced and both likely see themselves as the number 1 driver. Has the making of a great championship battle especially with the BMWi and Jaguars consistently in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Rome on 4th of April has been cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Harika wrote: »
    Rome on 4th of April has been cancelled

I suppose it was inevitable with the way the Italians have been affected by Covid-19 and the way they have been dealing with it. There is over 6000 cases of it in Italy now and the were very slow to act. That's why it is so bad there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We're kinda used to big gaps between races in this series anyway.

Ms

flazio wrote: »
    We're kinda used to big gaps between races in this series anyway.

Exactly so I don't think it will be effected as badly as Formula 1 has been.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

In partial related news, Audi is leaving the DTM to fully focus on series like formula E.

AMKC wrote: »
    Exactly so I don't think it will be effected as badly as Formula 1 has been.

The fact that Formula E consists of street races will be a huge disadvantage. It eliminates the possibility of behind closed doors racing and for this reason I think the rest of this season is in serious doubt.

In formula 1 the magic number for a valid championship was 10 rounds. Formula E has only raced 5 rounds so unfortunately we probably will not be able to conclude a champion either. I hope I am wrong as this was shaping up to be an epic battle between the Tech Cheetahs, BMWs and Mitch Evans!

Ms

jv2000 wrote: »
    The fact that Formula E consists of street races will be a huge disadvantage. It eliminates the possibility of behind closed doors racing and for this reason I think the rest of this season is in serious doubt.

In formula 1 the magic number for a valid championship was 10 rounds. Formula E has only raced 5 rounds so unfortunately we probably will not be able to conclude a champion either. I hope I am wrong as this was shaping up to be an epic battle between the Tech Cheetahs, BMWs and Mitch Evans!

You have a good point there alright. Could this also effect it for its next season too until a vaccine is found?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You have a good point there alright. Could this also effect it for its next season too until a vaccine is found?

That is interesting. In my mind next season is very far away but the reality is November assuming this season gets written off. Maybe this is the prompt to move the series onto proper race circuits, it is surely their best mitigation strategy right now? We are probably looking at summer 2021 for a vaccine to be not only approved but manufactured in appropriate quantities for widespread usage.

jv2000 wrote: »
    That is interesting. In my mind next season is very far away but the reality is November assuming this season gets written off. Maybe this is the prompt to move the series onto proper race circuits, it is surely their best mitigation strategy right now? We are probably looking at summer 2021 for a vaccine to be not only approved but manufactured in appropriate quantities for widespread usage.

18 months is the minimum, when you are optimistic. Summer 2021 is earliest. No guarantee that it won't be available until 2023, that's why cancelling whole seasons makes no sense.

18 months is the minimum, when you are optimistic. Summer 2021 is earliest. No guarantee that it won't be available until 2023, that's why cancelling whole seasons makes no sense.

Thats why I think behind closed doors racing could be the answer. And I am only suggesting that this season will be cancelled because logistically I do not feel they are prepared to put in the work for a switch to race circuits this year (well this season).

And a vaccine could be along way off, agreed on that point. But when one is discovered the Regulatory agencies will do everything in their power to get it on the market ASAP. Remdesivir is already available in the US and Japan, whilst in Europe it is being reviewed as we speak - all without final clinical data!

https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/24/formula-e-driver-who-gave-car-to-simracer-disqualified-from-charity-virtual-race/

Well played Daniel ABT for getting disqualified in a charity event for cheating

https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/24/formula-e-driver-who-gave-car-to-simracer-disqualified-from-charity-virtual-race/

And he is now "suspended" by Audi but is actually expected to not race for the team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Getting the boot probably a bit of an over reaction.
    However, whats more concerning is that the mans ego is so huge he resorts to cheating in a CHARITY virtual race. Incredibly sad.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Audi would want to deal with it and then distance themselves from any saga like that. They wouldn't want to be seen as a company that cheats! Stuff like that always comes back to haunt them.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

astrofluff wrote: »
    Audi would want to deal with it and then distance themselves from any saga like that. They wouldn't want to be seen as a company that cheats! Stuff like that always comes back to haunt them.

Abt confirmed he has been dropped in a YouTube video he posted today. It's in German but has English subtitles.

https://youtu.be/9ktOUffssTA

Ms

What did he do in it to cheat?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What did he do in it to cheat?

He got a professional sim racer to do the race from home challenge last weekend and got caught.

Ms

He got a professional sim racer to do the race from home challenge last weekend and got caught.

Awe ok.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think he's the 3rd real world driver to lose his job due to bad conduct in Sim Racing during the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Inquitus wrote: »
    I think he's the 3rd real world driver to lose his job due to bad conduct in Sim Racing during the lockdown.

Second. Kyle Larson was the first, Daniel has been the second.

In between, Bubba Wallace lost a sponsor after rage quitting an eNASCAR race rather than attempting to finish; but he still has his ride.

Pascal Wehrlein has left Mahindra racing with immediate effect as he has just posted on Instagram. Wonder what's happening there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

They've brought in the GOAT.

Pascal Wehrlein has left Mahindra racing with immediate effect as he has just posted on Instagram. Wonder what's happening there?
    Hes been linked with Porsche for next year to partner Lotterer. Theres no indication they are gunna drop Jani THIS year so no idea why Wehrlein has jumped.

Unless hes been told Ferrari that they actually want him present in their F1 paddock this year as a reserve?

• Advertisement

Maybe he needs to substitute for F1, was wondering if wrong information but he is only 25 , people like Berger only started to F1 back in the days, now he is seen as old

Advertisement