Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**The wtf plumbing thread**

Comments

• Cerco wrote: »
    Did they not pump clean water back in after removing sludge?
    I thought it was essential to do that to prevent tank collapsing.
    no they didn't, you're correct they should have! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Tank was cleaned yesterday, at some unknown time it floated up was first noticed in the morning.

thanks . thats what i was thinking less than 24 hours.

i wold like to see a video of it. i wonder it slowly lift up or plop up of a shot.

either way someone has a horrible job to fix

who would be responsible heree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Noticed this today. Rotting 3 x 2 holding up a water tank on a chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Dtp1979 wrote: »

That must be a Hot Water Tank being on the chimney like that LOL :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Dtp1979 wrote: »

It will either pull down the chimney ar fall off and damage the roof.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Wow. How could anyone do a job like that, or have it done to their house, and think it was OK.
    Whatever way you look at it, it is an expensive disaster waiting to happen.

Rotting 3 x 2 as well ... didn't even bother using steel support brackets no?

Rotting 3 x 2 as well ... didn't even bother using steel support brackets no?

Didn’t get, nor do I want to, get close enough to find out

when i first moved to ireland in the 90's we were in a do-er upper, no mains water to the house and the plumber who put the water in wanted to put a header tank on the outside of a flat galvanised roof on the extension bit , but eventually we managed to persuade him to just about fit it in the attic of the original house in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Our immersion tank heater switch had the bath/sink switches the wrong way around. The shorter water heating filament was absolutely caked in limescale and the longer filament looked as if it could have been brand new. Wish I took a picture because I feel like it would have fit in well with this thread. Culprit was a plumber by trade who should have called an electrician to install but decided he'd do it himself and ended up making a balls of it. Hot water never lasted for more then 5 mins and I used to wake up a solid hour before my other family members just to have a hot shower in the morning... the water was always cold if I woke up after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Lockheed wrote: »
    Our immersion tank heater switch had the bath/sink switches the wrong way around. The shorter water heating filament was absolutely caked in limescale and the longer filament looked as if it could have been brand new. Wish I took a picture because I feel like it would have fit in well with this thread. Culprit was a plumber by trade who should have called an electrician to install but decided he'd do it himself and ended up making a balls of it. Hot water never lasted for more then 5 mins and I used to wake up a solid hour before my other family members just to have a hot shower in the morning... the water was always cold if I woke up after them.

Did it ever occur to you to try other way around. Especially with the glaring hint that you didn't have much water

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Did it ever occur to you to try other way around. Especially with the glaring hint that you didn't have much water

We never took any heed. We always leave the immersion on and never even thought that was the reason we had no hot water. Looking back it was glaringly obvious - especially after we got a new boiler fitted and we seemed to have less hot water then before. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Lockheed wrote: »
    We never took any heed. We always leave the immersion on and never even thought that was the reason we had no hot water. Looking back it was glaringly obvious - especially after we got a new boiler fitted and we seemed to have less hot water then before. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

If you're using the boiler to heat the water, then you wouldn't really need the immersion.

Unless you mean that the "new boiler" was really a new hot water cylinder.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    If you're using the boiler to heat the water, then you wouldn't really need the immersion.

Unless you mean that the "new boiler" was really a new hot water cylinder.

yeah thats what I meant sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭chooseusername

corkgsxr wrote: »

If hindsight was foresight, I'd be rich

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Fszn0s0.jpg?2

Not what you want to find on a busy Saturday morning when you are trying to move a washing machine drain. It was wrapped in Denso Tape, but that was it, nothing to indicate it was there, or give a warning that it was so close to the surface. The only redeeming aspect was that it was downstream from the meter, so could be turned off very quickly.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Fszn0s0.jpg?2

Not what you want to find on a busy Saturday morning when you are trying to move a washing machine drain. It was wrapped in Denso Tape, but that was it, nothing to indicate it was there, or give a warning that it was so close to the surface. The only redeeming aspect was that it was downstream from the meter, so could be turned off very quickly.
    Dangerous looking run. What was necessary to put it right?

Fszn0s0.jpg?2

As dodgy as it seems, it wasn’t against regulation when it was installed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Wearb wrote: »
    Dangerous looking run. What was necessary to put it right?

We had to open the cut up to make enough space to put appropriate solder fittings in either side of the piece that had to be cut out, and then make good, wrap it all in Denso tape again, and perform the relevant pressure/leak checks, and then the RGI who came out to us was able to sign off on the repair and get everything back on line again.

As DTP said, it was legal when it was done, albeit not best practice, for all sorts of reasons.

I guess we should be thankful that the 9" angle grinder diamond disc didn't catch it when the edges of the slot were being cut, that would have been a fire scenario very easily, at least the hammer drill chisel only broke the pipe, without sparks to ignite it.

We never even gave a thought that a gas pipe would have been run so close to other services like the drain it is passing, or that they would have put it so close to the surface, it was embedded in the path slab, not even slightly covered by sand or similar just below it

Have to admit it makes me wonder why the most expensive purchase that most people make comes without any information about how things have been done, and where they are. A certified manual, giving locations of pipes, which circuit breakers control what, what the valves on the heating system do, and where they are would save so many people so much trouble over the life of the property, yet it seems that producing such a document is not deemed as a good idea.

At least they now know it's there, and will be suitably cautious if any other work has to be done in that area.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dathi

1.6 USER INFORMATION
    1.6.1 The owner of the building should be provided with sufficient information about the building, the fixed building services and their maintenance requirements so that the building can be operated in such a manner as to use no more fuel and energy than is reasonable in the circumstances. A way of complying would be to provide a suitable set of operating and maintenance instructions aimed at achieving economy in the use of fuel and energy in a way that householders can understand. The instructions should be directly related to the particular system(s) installed in the dwelling. Without prejudice to the need to comply with health and safety requirements, the instructions should explain to the occupier of the dwelling how to operate the system(s) efficiently. This should include:

(a) the making of adjustments to the timing and temperature control settings;

(b) what routine maintenance is needed to enable operating efficiency to be maintained at a reasonable level through the service life(lives) of the system(s) and

(c) the operation and maintenance of renewable energy systems.

that was added to the new partL of the building regulations but it doesn't realy go far enough

• Advertisement

if that were me in the future I would have run one of those hand held metal detector thingys across the concrete I were gonna cut out - I got a cheepo one that has done me for years with a 3 position switch on it 'Stud' 'Metal' & 'Electric' and that has done great for detecting buried pipes and electric cables in walls and floors before drilling or cutting plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Found weeping in an attic

518769.jpg

Oh christmas tree
    Oh christmas tree
    Why would I bo-ther
    Disconnecting thee

• Found weeping in an attic

Oh christmas tree
    Oh christmas tree
    Why would I bo-ther
    Disconnecting thee
    It that top nut cross-threaded as well, on the fitting just out of shot, or the fitting bent?

MOD NOTE: I've moved some of the posts about water pressure to the general P&H forum. See link below.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058093625

• I robbed this from the ylyl thread in cool pictures, but I think it belongs here as well!
    Pity there isn't a picture of the inside connection.

Ec1vTmLWAAEOi0o?format=jpg&name=900x900

I robbed this from the ylyl thread in cool pictures, but I think it belongs here as well!
    Pity there isn't a picture of the inside connection.

Ec1vTmLWAAEOi0o?format=jpg&name=900x900

ingenuous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

Now that the hose pipe ban is lifted. ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

dathi wrote: »
    1.6 USER INFORMATION
    1.6.1 The owner of the building should be provided with sufficient information about the building, the fixed building services and their maintenance requirements so that the building can be operated in such a manner as to use no more fuel and energy than is reasonable in the circumstances. A way of complying would be to provide a suitable set of operating and maintenance instructions aimed at achieving economy in the use of fuel and energy in a way that householders can understand. The instructions should be directly related to the particular system(s) installed in the dwelling. Without prejudice to the need to comply with health and safety requirements, the instructions should explain to the occupier of the dwelling how to operate the system(s) efficiently. This should include:

(a) the making of adjustments to the timing and temperature control settings;

(b) what routine maintenance is needed to enable operating efficiency to be maintained at a reasonable level through the service life(lives) of the system(s) and

(c) the operation and maintenance of renewable energy systems.

that was added to the new partL of the building regulations but it doesn't realy go far enough

Hardly much point going any further. Sure it all flies over the head of the average householder and when they cannot figure out how to set up the heating, and can't be bothered to learn how to, they will just hit the boost button a few times, turn the temp dial up and open a few windows when it gets too warm.

Waste of time providing information that'll just rot in the bottom of a kitchen drawer.

I think what Irish Steve is referring to is a Safety File, which has been necessary for all new constructions since, I think, 2001. However, i have yet to see a safety file that isn't a piss poor effort. Usually consists of a bunch of drawings of dubious accuracy and manuals flung together as fast as possible by someone who is just told to "get it done" who hasn't a clue what a safety file actually is.
    And safety files, good or bad, just end up disappearing into oblivion once the job is finished.

The only place where proper safety files are kept is in industrial settings like pharma plants and food processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Dug this hose pipe connector up when I replaced our leaking mains water tap.

Previous occupier (a plumber) had used it to T into the watermain to provide water for a trough in a nearby field.

That's half inch heavy duty whittled down so it fits in a garden hose fitting. The other pipe I disconnected was half inch standard gauge which actually fits very well. Its worth noting that the joint didn't fail despite our water pressure being 150psi and sometimes higher and had probably been in situ some 20 years. Needless to say while I was at it I replaced it with a new Philmac T piece.

529968.JPG

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Those fittings were widely used for standard gauge hydrodare.

Advertisement