Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Tork

He doesn't have a Patreon account so there's no point in comparing him to the Second Captains in that respect. I assume he has to pay Soundcloud to host the podcast, pay the sound engineer, pay the guests... There might be other expenses I haven't mentioned here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

And?

If you're estimate is accurate, he's grossing a minimum of around 9,000 for six shows per week.

Surely he can put it together and have a healthy few euro for himself for that amount of money.

I don't get his regular announcement of the importance of his sponsor.

Looks like a Donald Trump type hunch to me. Those figures look very optimistic to me. Do you have a source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

There's always a rat

Tork wrote: »
    Looks like a Donald Trump type hunch to me. Those figures look very optimistic to me. Do you have a source?

Not my figures T.

• Advertisement

Higgins claims "I would say he would get anything between 50-100 thousand downloads? Total guess, but say €1500-€2000 per show".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I’ve already said the download figures and all analytics are not freely available, only to producers and the content creator. My 50-100k downloads is a conservative guess.

As for it being optimistic, as I say it’s a guess. But I believe it could be far higher. Dunphys reputation would mean expats all over the world would know him and podcasts are freely available with no regional block so it could be significantly higher. Who knows, but I do think 50-100k is a reasonable guess. I’ll tweet the show/him and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

He doesn't have a Patreon account so there's no point in comparing him to the Second Captains in that respect. I assume he has to pay Soundcloud to host the podcast, pay the sound engineer, pay the guests... There might be other expenses I haven't mentioned here either.

Do you think the guess might do it for free to raise their profile?

The likes of Brendan O'Neill from Spiked sounds like he'd speak to anyone for nothing. And if Nicola Tallant is charging, she's essentially telling the same Kinahans story over and over, so not great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

http://sportforbusiness.com/dunphy-podcast-hits-one-million-streams/

Impressive figures.

I saw that streaming figure recently so that is no surprise. I'm much more curious as to where the figure of him making €1,500 to €2,000 per show comes from. He has no Patreon account. Is Tesco really throwing that sort of money at him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

How many downloads does Dunphy get per episode is anyones guess, the analytics is private and only accessible to Dunphy and producers on connect. I would say he would get anything between 50-100 thousand downloads? Total guess ...

It's much, much lower than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

mang0 wrote: »
    It's much, much lower than that.

Figures here would indicate that it achieved 1M streams within the month of April for the first time.
    The podcast was launched in November 2016 and listenership has climbed steadily since from an initial monthly average of 69,000 up to 946,000 in the first quarter of 2020 and one million now.

Say he does an average of 20 shows a month, that's 50K/show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thought the bp Fallon tribute to little Richard show was weak.

They literally could’ve wrapped it up within 5 mins, the conversation went in circles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Figures here would indicate that it achieved 1M streams within the month of April for the first time.

Say he does an average of 20 shows a month, that's 50K/show.

I’m really surprised the listenership figures didn’t collapse after the lady from the road haulage association stoped doing the podcast twice weekly.

He's pretty much scrapping the bottom of the barrel with the best eleven selections at this stage.

I'm certain he had never heard of two of Brady's choices in the best eleven he had played with.

You can usually tell he's winging it by the length of the "riiiiight" at the beginning of his reply.

I’m really surprised the listenership figures didn’t collapse after the lady from the road haulage association stoped doing the podcast twice weekly.

The lovely Verona Murphy.

She's currently flat out campaigning to increase the freight traffic through Rosslare port.

Of course this has nothing to do with her owning a haulage company a few minutes drive away.

Definitely not.

Yep he dropped the bould Verona Murphy when she ran for FG and then to compound it made dodgy comments

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He's pretty much scrapping the bottom of the barrel with the best eleven selections at this stage.

I'm certain he had never heard of two of Brady's choices in the best eleven he had played with.

You can usually tell he's winging it by the length of the "riiiiight" at the beginning of his reply.

I often get the sense he’s bluffing when talking to the likes of Chris Johns and Dan O’Brien. They’ll make some reference and Eamo will jump in with an Oh yeah or yes indeed...it’s entertaining though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Philip O'Connor (the journalist based in Sweden) has been a very good listen during the Covid malarkey. It's good to have someone actually there to give an overview of the actions of the Swedes as there's a lot of nonsense spoken about their Governments approach from both people who agree and disagree with their dealing of the situation.

Anyone else press play on the pod and then go rapidly looking for the volume button as you forgot how loud the intro music is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

I find the Philip O'Connor interviews boring at this stage....it's basically a 5min update from Sweden wrapped around 25mins of the same old stuff.
    I reckon Philip is his own #1 fan. A legend in his own head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Hopefully he has a podcast later with Niall Stanage. Should be fun talking about Trump's feud with Twitter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

jay0109 wrote: »
    I find the Philip O'Connor interviews boring at this stage....it's basically a 5min update from Sweden wrapped around 25mins of the same old stuff.
    I reckon Philip is his own #1 fan. A legend in his own head

Couldn't agree more.

The stand is one of those weird podcasts where there are about half of the episodes that I immediately delete without listening to (any with the economists, Brendan O'Neill, this Swedish lad, the Giles/Brady ones during season - but not the reminiscing ones, which are great).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

padd b1975 wrote: »

Haha I noticed that too. And when Hamann was talking about one of his midfielders Dunphy didn't hear who it was, but instead of interrupting he just let it go and in the end it was Brady who told him because he had played against that player.

Even though I like listening to Brady, Giles and Hamann he could surely find some other ex-pros to talk to. Or why not invite Stephen Kenny on for a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Or why not invite Stephen Kenny on for a chat.

He did a very good interview with Stephen Kenny before he became senior manager. He sounds very impressive.

https://soundcloud.com/thestandwitheamondunphy/ep-458-stephen-kenny-passionate-and-optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

humberklog wrote: »
    Anyone else press play on the pod and then go rapidly looking for the volume button as you forgot how loud the intro music is?

YES!

tumblr_o6yyncvHra1rt3mw9o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Is it my imagination or is he a bit more questioning of yer man from Spiked in the last pod?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

When he tries to defend boris yes but thats because he hates him. Still doesn't call him out not nearly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

hermano wrote: »
    When he tries to defend boris yes but thats because he hates him. Still doesn't call him out not nearly enough.

I'm probably in the minority but I think the sympathetic interview is far more telling of O'Neill's mindset. I can't agree with him at all but he is (I think) quite represenative of a quite widespread view in the UK.

It is interesting to understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Morrison J

The Tomas Ryan episodes are essential listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Morrison J wrote: »
    The Tomas Ryan episodes are essential listening.

More scaremongering imo, lockdown is ending regardless of what the government says I see it everyday.

The economy needs to recover or we'll enter a self imposed depression which will last for years. Cocoon the over 70's and people with underlying illnesses and let everyone else go back to work and get on with their lives.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement