Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K CCTV POE System - Reolink vs. Swann vs. Other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Sorry OP...... I'm not well up enough on these to offer any advice.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and hoping to order something shortly, hopefully there will be some good recommendations and a consensus on what to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Sorry OP...... I'm not well up enough on these to offer any advice.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and hoping to order something shortly, hopefully there will be some good recommendations and a consensus on what to order.

There won't be as they are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Avoid them all and get a Hikvision or Dahua. You want a reliable, secure system and these manufacturers you've listed typically fire out random Chinese products that have questionable phone home and snooping protocols.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I had actually been hoping to pick up a good Hikvision set but when I went to buy online I was worried about the risk of getting a counterfeit product from a dodgy website.

Id really appreciate if someone could please link me to a Irish or UK website that sells genuine Hikvison cameras at a fair price.

Looking for an NVR and 4 decent cameras for my house - Budget not given as I won't bother buying low spec, prefer to get recommnedations based on personal experience from fellow Boards Folk!

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks.

I had actually been hoping to pick up a good Hikvision set but when I went to buy online I was worried about the risk of getting a counterfeit product from a dodgy website.

Id really appreciate if someone could please link me to a Irish or UK website that sells genuine Hikvison cameras at a fair price.

Looking for an NVR and 4 decent cameras for my house - Budget not given as I won't bother buying low spec, prefer to get recommnedations based on personal experience from fellow Boards Folk!

Thanks for the help.

freetv.ie
    cctvireland

Both do HIKvision. They also do Dahua. Both good make products.

• Advertisement

I'd second cctvireland. I also find rf concepts up in Belfast to be quite good.

Great thanks folks..... any recommendations on a particular NVR plus camera bundle?

Depends on what you want to spend.
    Also depends on ambient light. If you have streetlights nearby, go for a colorvu camera and you'll have fantastic footage day and night. Otherwise get a darkfighter (or powered by darkfighter) camera as they work well in low light. Good quality night mode isn't cheap but there are decent ones out there. Another consideration is megapixels. Higher MP does not mean better night vision. Usually its the opposite. Also, get a turret design unless you like spiderwebs.
    Then you need to think about how wide the area you want to cover is. Going wider means less detail. Personally, I go for 4mm as its a decent balance. Many go for 2.8mm which is too little detail for me but gives lovely views of half the street when I only care about my place. Some cameras have zoom lenses so you can pick between 2.8-12mm but they cost more and are bulkier.
    Once you pick the cameras, you'll know how many channels are needed for the nvr.

Hi,

I have three Dahua IP cams HDW4631s and a Dahua NVR NVR4104-P-4KS2.
    I find the NVR s/w pretty poor.
    Does anyone know if there is a cloud recording solution they provide or I could plug the cams onto?

The picture quality on the cams is great when viewing live but whenever I want to play a recording it is so laggy and slow its unusable really.

Could it also be the hard drive I have in the NVR?

Any help/opinion would be great!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I have 4 Reolink POE and I think they are great. My cameras are HD instead of 4k - bought off Amazon for EUR 350 approx and for that price with a PVRi cant really fault them too much. App is fairly decent.

Reviews I read before purchasing were saying that the Swann equivolent werent great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

hi I was looking at Reolink Go PT 3G/4G LTE.https://reolink.com/product/reolink-go-pt/ to have a remote/solar powered camera to see 'any visitors' are about the non lived farm. its kinda in the budget range. anyone think there ok? also found this anyone use this as a sim for cameras? https://www.globalm2msim.com/rates/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

MikeSoys wrote: »
    hi I was looking at Reolink Go PT 3G/4G LTE.https://reolink.com/product/reolink-go-pt/ to have a remote/solar powered camera to see 'any visitors' are about the non lived farm. its kinda in the budget range. anyone think there ok? also found this anyone use this as a sim for cameras? https://www.globalm2msim.com/rates/
    HAve been using one of them with an unlimited vodafone sim and no issues.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Avoid them all and get a Hikvision or Dahua. You want a reliable, secure system and these manufacturers you've listed typically fire out random Chinese products that have questionable phone home and snooping protocols.

Err... Hikvision and Dahua are both Chinese companies and both owned by the Chinese government.

Hikvision has been put under sanctions by the US government for human rights violations and national security concerns.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/08/03/update-now-warning-as-eavesdropping-risk-hits-millions-of-chinese-made-cameras/

bk wrote: »
    Err... Hikvision and Dahua are both Chinese companies and both owned by the Chinese government.

Hikvision has been put under sanctions by the US government for human rights violations and national security concerns.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/08/03/update-now-warning-as-eavesdropping-risk-hits-millions-of-chinese-made-cameras/

True, they're all Chinese but some have better quality than others. Typically, Hikvision and Dahua are considered at the higher end of the capability scale and viewed in a higher regard. When it comes to the crunch, there's probably very few that aren't at least partially built in China and aren't capable of snooping.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

True, they're all Chinese but some have better quality than others. Typically, Hikvision and Dahua are considered at the higher end of the capability scale and viewed in a higher regard. When it comes to the crunch, there's probably very few that aren't at least partially built in China and aren't capable of snooping.

Sure, pretty much most electronics are made in China these days and it is hard to find a device that doesn't have at least some Chinese components. But these two companies in particular are directly owned by the Chinese government and have had some serious revelations surrounding them.

I think it is important that people understand what they are buying with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

bk wrote: »
    Sure, pretty much most electronics are made in China these days and it is hard to find a device that doesn't have at least some Chinese components. But these two companies in particular are directly owned by the Chinese government and have had some serious revelations surrounding them.

I think it is important that people understand what they are buying with them.

I was looking into it.. China servers might be used as a proxy. P2P architecture I think. Foreign Ip address identified when running WireShark..imo

Advertisement