Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marrying non EEA national

• 27-05-2020 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

If you marry a non EEA national and bring them to the EU to reside with you and then subsequently divorce, will they lose their right to live here post divorce or are they entitled to live here once residency is granted regardless of their subsequent relationship status with you once it's granted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/spouse-or-civil-partner-of-an-irish-national

"There are no rights of retention of residence in the event of separation/divorce" See question 7.

I'm assuming you're an Irish citizen and you will both be living in Ireland.

Presumably a separate/fresh application would be required but I am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/spouse-or-civil-partner-of-an-irish-national

"There are no rights of retention of residence in the event of separation/divorce" See question 7.

I'm assuming you're an Irish citizen and you will both be living in Ireland.

Presumably a separate/fresh application would be required but I am open to correction.

That answers that thank you! I am a British citizen in fact but residing in Ireland, I imagine similar principles apply

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

You're still technically an EU citizen, so different principles apply.

The non-EEA citizen retains their right of residence if you've been married for three years, including one year in Ireland before divorce, if they have custody of children of the marriage, or if there are particularly difficult circumstances such as domestic violence.

The non-EEA citizen should get some advice on this.

Advertisement