Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Joe dot ie?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What is it? Far left politically correct drivel...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

More layoffs at Joe and Her judging by Twitter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Garbage tabloid geared towards the brain dead of Ireland

Now its got a new brainwashing agent to pump all the zombies full of political crap.

Titclamp wrote: »
    Garbage tabloid geared towards the brain dead of Ireland

Now its got a new brainwashing agent to pump all the zombies full of political crap.

Who's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What's happening with this company? A number of their staff have been let go. What's happening with their UK site?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elmo wrote: »
    What's happening with this company? A number of their staff have been let go. What's happening with their UK site?

Advertisers have lost confidence in the entire group over the inflated podcast listens scandal and there's been multiple rounds of layoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The story so far, to my knowledge is:

They were caught using a click farm to boost there viewership of a podcast they produced.

The fall out from that revelation had led to advertisers abandoning them, this they've had to cut costs by laying off staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Click bait nothing more nothing less

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Maybe they should rebrand from Maximum Media to Skeleton Staff Media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

They seem to be getting into video and podcasting allot more.

Yeah tabloid is probably not the best way to describe joe.ie/her.ie more Branded content with inoffensive news reporting.

Maybe they're coming full circle now as I remember their launch about a decade ago and it was meant to be a kind of men's magazine type website with lifestyle, sport, interviews, original content etc.

Of course it has since degenerated into clickbait drivel. Most of their content is geared towards getting clicks on facebook. There will be a vague article headline with an accompanying tag line like "huge boost for Man United" or "this could be the end of Dublin's winning run." or a photo of a major GAA star accompanied by "tag a friend who'd nail a 65" or "who has the sweetest strike in Ireland?" so hundreds of lads will tag their friends in it.

That said their content must work because I know a bunch of lads I went to school with who for several years without fail have tagged each other in every single joe.ie hurling post. It doesn't seem to be in an ironic or sarcastic sense either. They just seem to never tire of the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's been a facinating watch for media and marketing folk to see such a rise and equally tragic downfall.

Digital advertising coming under the spotlight for many and the clickfarm scandal was the knockout blow.

Sad many jobs lost though. Hopefully they can get places elsewhere, but these 'content generators' mightn't be in much demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

The story so far, to my knowledge is:

They were caught using a click farm to boost there viewership of a podcast they produced.

The fall out from that revelation had led to advertisers abandoning them, this they've had to cut costs by laying off staff.

What about the initial scenario with Core media? Was it a case that they weren't aware that this stuff went on anyway?
    A few years ago, there was also a controversy around a Mercedes banner ad that appeared on an Islamic terrorist blog or something like that. All of a sudden, the middlemen stopped their display/YT campaigns until Google got to the bottom of it. I can't remember the result to be honest other than Google saying they couldn't monitor every single bit of content that went up online...

Granadino wrote: »
    What about the initial scenario with Core media? Was it a case that they weren't aware that this stuff went on anyway?
    A few years ago, there was also a controversy around a Mercedes banner ad that appeared on an Islamic terrorist blog or something like that. All of a sudden, the middlemen stopped their display/YT campaigns until Google got to the bottom of it. I can't remember the result to be honest other than Google saying they couldn't monitor every single bit of content that went up online...

I think it is a case of Maximum Media suggesting higher audiences rather than the content that appeared with those ads.

Core were the first to remove their ads AFAIK.

Well RTÉ seem to have seen something in it according to the SBP, I wonder if the journalist spoke with Willie O'Reilly about RTÉ plan to buy a 49% share in the company. I would have thought this would have been one of his ideas.

I can only imagine what RTÉ's plans where, launch a TV station branded Joe, you hope that the 12m investment was just some of RTÉ's programming rights to air on the channel along side an on-demand service.

But with 12m I think RTÉ could easily set up a Joe type service if they really wanted to, RTÉ TEN!!!!

To get with the yuff and all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RTE's interest was in 2018 pre-scandal and income collapse etc; not now.

L1011 wrote: »

Okay, but that still doesn’t explain their interest in the “publication” here’s a publicly owned and funded company willing to pay out 12million for 2 brands that they could easily set up themselves with little fuss, at a time when RTÉ is in dire straits begging for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭jmcc

L1011 wrote: »
    Back when clickbait was easy money and a lifetime ago in search engine algorithm terms? But this whole trailing after the Zeitgeist has been a characteristic of RTE for decades. 2FM was set up to counter pirate radio and is a commercial disaster. The market changes but RTE management does not.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement