Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Krakow - October 2019

Options
  • 20-08-2019 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

I've had a look through previous threads, but I don't think there's been anything on Krakow recently, so hope it's okay to start this one.

Mr Crumble and myself are heading to Krakow first week in October for 4 days. Flights booked, but no hotel yet. We're trawling through Hotels.com, booking.com etc here, but just wondered if anyone had been there recently and where did you stay?
    Looking at 3/4 star. Max about €500.

Also, any other hints/things to see in Krakow would be great :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

100-125 a night for a hotel in Krakow is loads.

I like to stay in the Hotel Francuski near the Florianska gate, mainly because it has this olde worlde charm, a fantastic location, great breakfasts and they will give you a packed lunch for free to take away with you each day.

I don't know if you would prefer the Radisson type chain places. On your budget you could stay almost anywhere. Try get a hotel in the Old Town or closeby, rather than out of the city.

Look on somewhere like booking.com, then check the hotel's own site. They are often a fiver or so cheaper per night.

Things to do - lots of museums and galleries, Auschwitz/Birkenau, Wieliczka mines, lots of free and cheap concerts, good jazz clubs, great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Daveno

The post is a bit historic, but should anyone need advice for future:

1. hotels- best use booking.com as with hotels if you hit direct they will charge you a rack rate which is much higher than booking's rate
    2. Things to do - loads of, just to mention a couple:

Sightseeing:
    a. walking tour of Krakow - free tours available with freewalkingtour or if you prefer personalised service go e.g. for "krakowzwiedzanie"- Royal Route, Schindler's list tour (with Oscar Schindler's factory)
    b. visit Wieliczka salt mine
    c. visit Auchwitz Birkenau
    d. If you're staying more than 2 nights, onsider visiting Zakopane - Polish mountain resort - only 110km from Krakow- doable in 1 day (min.: visit Morskie Oko lake, walk Krupowki street, take a cable car to Gubalowka mountain)

Nightlife
    e. Definitely take a guided bar crawl. If you're travelling as a group (stag, sports) best to book with stag operators . If you're single or a small group hit pub city crawl organisers
    f. Do a vodka tasting tour- Poles invented vodka, so I'd say it's a must when in Krakow :)

Sorry I can't paste links to attractions/operators to make it easier, but still new to this forum

Advertisement