Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

West Cork

Comments

• Seems like a bizarre event for a murder investigation podcast

• Administrators Posts: 53,085 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just finished listening to this, great show and really leaves me feeling conflicted and somwhat confused.

If Marie Farrell told me it was raining I'd go to the window to check. It is arguable she comes out of this the worst.

Her refusal to name the person in the car, for her own selfish reasons, has contributed to a shambles of a murder case.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

Did anyone go to the event in the Cork Opera House Saturday night? I was very disappointed with the Q&A session. Not sure why they requested questions to be emailed in advance. The questions and answers were very general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Guilty ,will they be able to extradite him though ?You would think they would but they have failed in the past .

If he's extradited it is essentially an admission by the Irish state that they trust the decision of a judiciary in a foreign country above that of their own. It ain't gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's strange how much he relishes this 'celebrity' status.

Not saying he's guilty or not, but how do you know he relishes the status? That's just personal opinion. Could easily be argued his media appearances or interviews are a desperate attempt to get his side of the story across. Unless you are familiar with him in a personal capacity, you are only guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Daisy03 wrote:
    Not sure why they requested questions to be emailed in advance. The questions and answers were very general.

It's so they can pick and choose which questions to answer and that they won't be caught out on the night by intelligent questions they can't answer. It's cowardly but many similar talks do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭p to the e

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It's so they can pick and choose which questions to answer and that they won't be caught out on the night by intelligent questions they can't answer. It's cowardly but many similar talks do the same.

Went to the talk with the lawyer from the staircase and we had to write down any questions before the show. He could then pick and choose what questions he wanted to answer. Obviously none of them were too strenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

I've been to similiar events before where questions were submitted on the night of the event. I've never been to one where they had to be emailed in advance.

It just felt like the Q&A session was a complete cop out. Other events I have been to for podcasts and documentaries have been so much better. I was really looking forward to the West Cork event but was very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

Id love to get some more episopes of this, since there has been a few more dates in court since.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

tech wrote: »
    Id love to get some more episopes of this, since there has been a few more dates in court since.

Same / but then we’d all have download audible for another month free trial!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

very true, but it would be worth it !

Daisy03 wrote: »
    I've been to similiar events before where questions were submitted on the night of the event. I've never been to one where they had to be emailed in advance.

It just felt like the Q&A session was a complete cop out. Other events I have been to for podcasts and documentaries have been so much better. I was really looking forward to the West Cork event but was very disappointed.

I would have thought that given the nature of this unresolved case that it would be obvious that they would have to put some control measures in place for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

just finished this podcast. what strikes me as bizarre is when you find sophie's house and ian's house on google maps. they're miles from each other, about a 50 minute walk on ****ty roads. and he walked on the bridge (which marie retracted), it's about a 90 minute walk. pissed drunk and in the middle of the night in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

just finished this podcast. what strikes me as bizarre is when you find sophie's house and ian's house on google maps. they're miles from each other, about a 50 minute walk on ****ty roads. and he walked on the bridge (which marie retracted), it's about a 90 minute walk. pissed drunk and in the middle of the night in winter.

Interesting...Has this mapping been done online or did you do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Interesting...Has this mapping been done online or did you do it yourself?

I did it myself.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ADkUj26kPy5eALu9

That's the direct walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The place is so remote even the technical team from Dublin couldn't find it without the local gardai. I'm sure there was a delay in them travelling down because they hadn't a clue where they were going.

The biggest **** up was leaving the body outside in the lashing rain all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PodcastReview

This is great, what podcasts used to be about.

Entertaining and educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Its on Youtube too ?
    or just parts of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is there anywhere you can listen to this for free

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As far as I remember, you don't have to pay anything to listen to it on Audible. You just sign up, no payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You do have to pay but you can sign up for a free trial and then cancel after you’ve listened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Saw a tweet from one of the podcast makers today that the series is now freely available on iTunes so I downloaded the first few episodes, up to episode 5 at the moment.

This case has always fascinated me and I was glad to see the meticulous effort by the makers in retelling the story. There are so many loose ends and bungles in this case, not to mention the shady testimonies, that it is possible to come to any number of conclusions.

Something said in one of the earlier episodes by one of the locals about a possible French connection to the case stuck with me. She was married to a man of means who knew that she had been carrying on affairs. Even though all involved with the case have dismissed French involvement I don't think it is beyond question. Surely it was possible for her husband to arrange a hit and have the killer escape back on a flight/boat to France? It's also curious that all her family travelled to Ireland on Christmas eve but her husband didn't travel.

This was a very good podcast
    I little about the case going in and found it fascinating ,
    I still don't know what I think of Ian but he is a very odd chap ,
    One thing that I will say is that he is very easy to listen to, it kind of makes me uncomfortable to say that knowing that what he may have done ,

Aidric wrote: »
    Saw a tweet from one of the podcast makers today that the series is now freely available on iTunes so I downloaded the first few episodes, up to episode 5 at the moment.

This case has always fascinated me and I was glad to see the meticulous effort by the makers in retelling the story. There are so many loose ends and bungles in this case, not to mention the shady testimonies, that it is possible to come to any number of conclusions.

Something said in one of the earlier episodes by one of the locals about a possible French connection to the case stuck with me. She was married to a man of means who knew that she had been carrying on affairs. Even though all involved with the case have dismissed French involvement I don't think it is beyond question. Surely it was possible for her husband to arrange a hit and have the killer escape back on a flight/boat to France? It's also curious that all her family travelled to Ireland on Christmas eve but her husband didn't travel.

Just me or did anyone get the feeling that the married man in the car with Marie Farrell was a Garda ?

She mentioned how she would never say who it was and how she was still scared of Garda check points ?

Possible even Jim FitzGerald the main Garda and that's how she knew about his birth mark as they had an affair

Possible why FitzGerald was so fixated on Bailey , because he had seen him that night but couldn't say ,

It's on the Castbox app for free.

I'm on Episode 7 (The Arrest), it's a great yarn.

So far I've completely changed my mind about Bailey's guilt. Even after following the defamation trial, I felt sure Bailey was guilty. Have done a complete 180 on that.

The bridge thing has been retracted, as you say, although the podcast host says it's 36 minutes on foot between the two houses. That's a very brisk walk, even a jog, for a three mile journey, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sugarman20

New episode out today!
    New Feature Episode: This is the story of an unusual trial. An Englishman on trial in a French court for a murder committed in Ireland. At every other point in this 25 year saga, Ian Bailey has loomed large, but this trial wasn’t like that, because Ian Bailey wasn't there.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I don't understand Audible, you're charged a monthly subscription and still have to pay to download books. Why anyone would sign up to this I'll never know!

I might get the trial to download the podcast then immediately cancel.

Saved me an absolute fortune getting Harry potter audio books..

Those are over 30 quid each

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

lawred2 wrote: »
    Saved me an absolute fortune getting Harry potter audio books..

Those are over 30 quid each

I'm on a monthly subscription I think it is 7.99 1 book per month. I may cancel soon but it has served me well in the past. You get credits and you have to use all your credits before you cancel so if they accumulate you have to use them or you lose them. Another feature is, you can return books as well, if you aren't enjoying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Aidric wrote: »

Latest episode strengthens my belief in quoted theory. The Gardai wanted to speak to French persons of interest but were stonewalled by red tape on the French side. Seems that a lot of the questions put by the Gardai to French authorities were never followed up. All they got from her husband was a statement. That seems bizarre in a murder inquiry.

Advertisement