Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Bad move...for a lot of his listeners.
    Walled ecosystem = not good, eventually stuff like this becomes 'premium', can't use your own podcast app
    Obviously great deal for him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Bad move...for a lot of his listeners.
    Walled ecosystem = not good, eventually stuff like this becomes 'premium', can't use your own podcast app
    Obviously great deal for him

It's a great move, most people I know already have spotify, It's the one subscription I couldn't live with out. Besides YouTube is a disaster and has been for a while for anyone like Joe who's only ever one wrong opinion from being kicked off/demonitised. Looking forward to the Spotify show, hopefully it won't suffer from the same constraints as YouTube.

I don't like Spotify much, they don't pay artists much but Joe appears to be ok.
    I'm not bothered about YT, I listen rather than watch and now I won't be able to do that unless I sign up (free at the start...) Spotify rather than my podcast app.

Anyhow, I hope further good* podcasters don't get swallowed up by yet another data collection company.

*subjective

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I am sure Spotify gave him several van loads of cash but anytime you move your show to a smaller platform it is not good for the long term health of it.

Spotify has about 10% of the users that you tube has , once his guests see the huge drop of in audience , he will find it harder to get guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Ardent

Spotify has about 10% of the users that you tube has , once his guests see the huge drop of in audience , he will find it harder to get guests.

I doubt he'll really care, he's made his money.

• Advertisement

• Will they just be audio now, or will he be streaming video on Spotify?..

Will they just be audio now, or will he be streaming video on Spotify?..
    Audio and Video

For anyone not clear... it's still free. I don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The issue?

Change, lots of people don't like it
    Perception of "selling out"
    Perception of having creative input from a corporate overlord
    Perception that smaller base of subscribers will impact on guests

Basically, a lot of perceptions actually. I wasn't thrilled by it personally. $100m isn't exactly something you just say no to but I think the youtube format, the video format really adds to the enjoyment and moving to Spotify is going to impact that in some way, be it small or large as most people do not watch Spotify, they listen, but not watch.

I don't think it will have any impact on the guests he brings on though for sure, they don't come because its YouTube they come because its Rogan. The name and podcast have reached the level where they are the draw.

Once he isn't constrained I am sure he will be fine and the show will continue to be successful just with less random traffic stumbling on to his videos basically as he is removed from all other platforms.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• I'd be fairly confident that a condition of the sale was no interference..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

With it being on Youtube I am much more likely to watch/listen to a guest that I've never heard of. It's an easy thing to throw on in the background while you're pottering around doing something.

With it moving to Spotify, I'll use a family member or friend's account to tune in if it's someone like Graham Hancock, Randall Carlson or interesting people like that.

I won't be downloading Spotify, free or not.

Can't blame him though, $100 million is a serious whack of money.

The issue?

Change, lots of people don't like it
    Perception of "selling out"
    Perception of having creative input from a corporate overlord
    Perception that smaller base of subscribers will impact on guests

Basically, a lot of perceptions actually. I wasn't thrilled by it personally. $100m isn't exactly something you just say no to but I think the youtube format, the video format really adds to the enjoyment and moving to Spotify is going to impact that in some way, be it small or large as most people do not watch Spotify, they listen, but not watch.

I don't think it will have any impact on the guests he brings on though for sure, they don't come because its YouTube they come because its Rogan. The name and podcast have reached the level where they are the draw.

Once he isn't constrained I am sure he will be fine and the show will continue to be successful just with less random traffic stumbling on to his videos basically as he is removed from all other platforms.

YouTube is cancer, Joe's a clever guy. Only ever one step from YouTube's unexplainable ban/demonstration policy. For how long more is he going to get away with interviewing the likes of Jordan Peterson, Tim Pool and Alex Jones on the platform? I'd have preferred if he went to something like BitChute but Spotify is definitely better than YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I really doubt it'll make a difference to the size of his audience.

Everyone and his dog will know that he's going to Spotify over the next few weeks and months and people can sign up for free if they haven't already, but, how many people don't have Spotify? And I'd imagine having that extra 100 million might make it a good bit easier for him to get guests, not harder.

I've become less and less a fan of his shows as time has gone on, to the point where he now genuinely annoys me, but I think this move is a smart one from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd be fairly confident that a condition of the sale was no interference..

He has said its licensing only, no creative interference at all.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

My only concern with the move is that it is going to be a lot less convenient for me to throw the podcast on at home or in the car. At the minute I can just say "continue podcast" or 'play the new Joe Rogan' and my Google home will do it all through Google podcasts easily. I don't think I can do that with Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tensimo

does anyoe remember an episode where he had a guy on who went to north korea on the sly? cant remember his name..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

tensimo wrote: »
    does anyoe remember an episode where he had a guy on who went to north korea on the sly? cant remember his name..

Do you mean Michael malice, he travelled there quite a bit I believe, He wrote Dear Reader about North Korea

it was shane smith actually. kept mixing him up with kevin smith

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Interesting chat with Ronnie Coleman , ex bodybuilder, Mr Olympia ...

• New bill burr. What a treat

• Advertisement

New bill burr. What a treat

Bust out laughing several times at work. He’s one funny man. Love the way he shut joe down on the Covid19 thing he was just about to have a rant about.

Last few pods have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭donaghs

Arghus wrote: »
    Yes, he stammers.

Rogan peddles a lot of dopey nonsense.

Have you heard Biden's speeches? Having a stammer doesn't explain rambling nonsense, or forgetting key details like he's running for President not the senate etc. I've nothing against Biden, but I get the impression that now that he's the candidate against Trump, any legitimate criticism of him will be slanted as being "pro-Trump".

• donaghs wrote: »
    Have you heard Biden's speeches? Having a stammer doesn't explain rambling nonsense, or forgetting key details like he's running for President not the senate etc. I've nothing against Biden, but I get the impression that now that he's the candidate against Trump, any legitimate criticism of him will be slanted as being "pro-Trump".

Have you heard Biden's speeches? Not the clips but the actual speeches? He looks old but he's 100% there. I suspect Rogan has only seen clips as he wouldn't be peddling this nonsense otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Rogan is so dumb really, stuff like the Biden thing show him up. What makes Burr should a good guest is that Joe's earnestness meshes well with Bills cynicism. Joe takes every news piece like it's the most mind blowing development ever(the story about the zone of anarchy in Seattle for example) I don't know if he's just gullible or super enthusiastic.

Rogan is so dumb really, stuff like the Biden thing show him up. What makes Burr should a good guest is that Joe's earnestness meshes well with Bills cynicism. Joe takes every news piece like it's the most mind blowing development ever(the story about the zone of anarchy in Seattle for example) I don't know if he's just gullible or super enthusiastic.

I think he's just dumb and starting to believe his own hype at this stage. Burr was a good guest, a much smarter and funnier man who was able to call Joe on his macho nonsense.

gotta love bill burr :D:D

• I'm alone in finding Bill Burr not particularly funny so..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Ardent

Enoyed the latest Bill Burr episode. Some of his quick-fire witticisms had me laughing my ass off. Clearly Bill and Joe are good friends - it's enjoyable to listen to two guys riff who are comfortable in each other's presence and not afraid of causing offence.

I'm alone in finding Bill Burr not particularly funny so..

I think so.

• Advertisement

• Arghus wrote: »
    I think so.

He's just so generically a ginger lad trying to be funny..

Advertisement