Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules about over-70 drivers and medical emergencies?

• 11-05-2020 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

We're a couple in our 70s, with medical cards. I'm in good health, but my husband is nursing an inguinal hernia diagnosed by our GP just before elective surgery was put on hold. (He also has asthma, kept under control with his prescribed medication). We're able to get supermarket and pharmacy deliveries (and haven't had any medical appointments), so haven't been driving.

He's been well enough so far to carefully carry on with most of his usual activities. But should the hernia get worse and need medical attention, are there any circumstances in which I'm currently allowed to drive him somewhere? I know the first port of call would be our GP, but not the possibilties after that - is only official transport permitted, or is it possible that I could help by taking him somewhere in my car?

If that is possible, I'll ring our broker straight away to renew my motor insurance, as it expires in 2 or 3 days. As far as I know we cocooners are allowed to drive to a medical appointment, but I find some of the official guidelines ambiguous. And presumably going to A&E wouldn't be an appointment? (I'd rather not ring our health centre to ask when they probably need all the time they can get).

We're on a tight budget, and If I can't use my car insurance for the forseeable future I'd rather save the money in case of emergency.

Any clarification gratefully received!

P.S. just to add that the relevant forums under the Coronavirus heading are too fast-moving for me to check for replies, the Motors one didn't look the most efficient one for this question, and this seemed the best one for behind-the-scenes facts (rather than guesses!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The restrictions allow people to drive to medical appointments, no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

@Fogmatic, Do use your car from time to time. If you do not it may end up with a flat battery. :)

( https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/
    "those who are cocooning can leave their homes up to 5 kilometres for exercise or a drive as long as they avoid all contact with other people" )

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Vorsprung wrote: »
    The restrictions allow people to drive to medical appointments, no issue there.
    Thanks, Vorspung, but obviously I wasn't being clear - sorry!

I did know we're allowed to drive to a medical appointment, but think if we got a health centre one there'd be plenty of time to plan transport, given that our GP was already booked weeks ahead back in February when my husband rang them (though on that occasion they somehow managed an early slot for him; the lump could have been anything). (Our broker can quickly renew insurance cover over the phone, or within about a working day if it's after this Friday and the first quote's expired). Or we could ring a taxi (if that's possible these days) to get into town, which is only 8km.

What I was trying to establish is whether I might suddenly be needed as the driver to a hospital should the hernia suddenly become really painful. (There was only time during the quick examination for our GP to advise him to try and avoid coughing or sneezing, but the HSE website says if these hernias become strangulated, emergency surgery within hours becomes important).

I don't know if a second GP examination would be compulsory in this case before being admitted to a hospital. If not, for various reasons I think if we rang our health centre about his hernia worsening they'd be fairly confident that surgery is needed. For all I know it could be a matter of straight from our house to a hospital, and I don't know what the system is at the moment re the transport. If it must be in some approved vehicle and I wouldn't be permitted to drive him there anyway, that would simplify the things to weigh up re car insurance. That's why this feels like the right forum; maybe an insider in the HSE system would know for sure (and maybe have time for a brief reply).

It wouldn't be what I'd call a dash if it was in the car, anyway (he'd probably be lying on the back seat, and unable to wear a seat belt even if he can sit normally, and we'd have to keep pulling off the road to avoid obstructing someone).

Thank you for that clarification, Olddog. I did hear something about over-70s going for a short drive, but wasn't sure if cocooners were still confined to 2km or not.

I have been starting the car every few days, mainly to move backwards and forwards a few times (there's a brake part that can get a touch rusted up if unused for a long time in damp weather), and usually run the engine for a few minutes too. It's still starting first time, but some little spins will be good for it, not to mention for us! (Not that we're sure how practicable it is for him to join me; there isn't much guidance out there re living with a hernia for a long time, and the seat belt might be an obstacle).

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Just to say that l did renew the car insurance this morning, as I haven't found out whether I could be required to drive my husband somewhere if his condition worsens, which I guess is just as possible tomorrow as any time in the next 18 months-plus-whatever.
    The savings that we draw on to supplement state pension have been dwindling at a slower rate lately (no UK trip to see our relatives, no motor fuel bought, repair to husband's car on hold, and so on). So that offsets some of the insurance cost.

It would still be useful to know for other reasons, should anyone here happen to be familiar with patient transport arrangements under the covid-19 rules.

The insurance will also enable us to go for the non-essential drives up to 5km that we're now allowed, which will help ease cabin fever. (For both of us, hopefully, though we don't yet know if a seat belt is advisable for him).

Advertisement