Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blood pressure monitor wrist or arm?

Options
  • 07-05-2020 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi guys - I get anxious when the cuff is around my arm at hospital - does that mean the reading will be off? It's horrible when it's squeezing the arm and the pulse gets stronger, freaks me out because of my heartbeat issues.

Now I've been asked to check it at home regularly, which one should I buy? Wrist - but I've read the readings aren't accurate? - or a watch? Probably not accurate

Or a looser cuff haha any ideas? Could it have just been the nurses always make them extra tight by mistake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't know really but I went with the wrist one when I had to do the same recently as the very feel of that cuff on my arm sends mine up I know plus for some reason it drives my skin mad making it red and itchy which lingers for ages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

I have a blood pressure monitor for my arm to take readings at home because my BP spikes in the doctor. Unfortunately you just need to get used to the feeling of it tightening as they all need to inflate to take an accurate reading.
    Best advice that has worked for me is do deep breathing for a while to calm down in between taking readings and ignore the first two readings as these will generally be high due to nerves. Generally my third and fourth readings are where it levels off.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

phormium wrote: »
    I don't know really but I went with the wrist one when I had to do the same recently as the very feel of that cuff on my arm sends mine up I know plus for some reason it drives my skin mad making it red and itchy which lingers for ages :)

You know the wrist readings are supposed to be off sometimes by a good bit?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

That's why I take at least 3 each time and do an average and when I did it for the doc for two weeks she was happy enough. In fairness some of them were extremely low so I suppose it balances out!

There is not a hope the arm one will give me an accurate as the sight of it is enough to get mine rising! I'd be better off doing the 24hr monitor which I have done before and it was normal. But without fail if I see a doc the reading will be high so that's why I always end up having to do it at home to satisfy them.

Why can they sell them if they are not accurate? Bought it from a reputable site etc after researching.

OMG I'd forgotten how bad they are. Tried one a friend has yesterday and it was absolutely terrifying. Arm felt horrible for an age afterwards. I think I'm going to take a leaf out of your book Phormium and go for a wrist one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Hi guys - I get anxious when the cuff is around my arm at hospital - does that mean the reading will be off? It's horrible when it's squeezing the arm and the pulse gets stronger, freaks me out because of my heartbeat issues.

Now I've been asked to check it at home regularly, which one should I buy? Wrist - but I've read the readings aren't accurate? - or a watch? Probably not accurate

Or a looser cuff haha any ideas? Could it have just been the nurses always make them extra tight by mistake?
    Happens to me it's called white coat syndrome by doctors. I have an arm monitor at home and have no issues.

Happens to me it's called white coat syndrome by doctors. I have an arm monitor at home and have no issues.

No doctors don't make me nervous unless they are holding a needle haha

It's the machine and the way it makes my pulse and arm feel. Horrible! Maybe I'm too squeaminsh

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You know the wrist readings are supposed to be off sometimes by a good bit?:eek:
    Afaik, you are supposed to hold your wrist level with your heart when taking the reading. Laying your arm flat will give a different reading.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

I have both at home and I use the wrist one a lot more as I find it more convenient ie reading can be taken while watching tele etc keeping the monitor high as your heart / finger tips resting on opposite shoulder. No harm using on both wrists for comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

No doctors don't make me nervous unless they are holding a needle haha

It's the machine and the way it makes my pulse and arm feel. Horrible! Maybe I'm too squeaminsh
    A doc told me in the past to take 20 readings in the space of a month at home and e mail him the results and he'll decide how bad it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭karlitob

It’s taken at your arm for two main reasons - it’s at the same height from the ground as your heart so the pressure it the same (your blood pressure is different at all different parts of your body, and in all different arteries); and it’s easy to close the brachial artery as it’s near the surface (and also very accessible for healthcare staff).

It’s blocked so that when you release the pressure you can hear the sound of the blood rushing back in (the systolic) and when the sound stops it’s the diastolic. Korsakoff sounds.

Long and short of it is - BP is only ever an guess; it’s consistently taken at the upper arm - so use the upper arm. Maybe YouTube what happens might make it more bearable.

Advertisement