Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Recommend a Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

dball wrote: »
    is that fivethirtyeight? you mean?
    cozar wrote: »
    Seventhirtyeight politics podcast has an excellent take on the covid situation in the US. Really informative.

I didn't enjoy this all to be honest found it dull. Only listened to the latest episode though.

A lot of stating the obvious with no insight. It might be because I am fed up of listening to covid19 general news in fairness.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The New Season of You Must Remember This is as fantastic as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Arghus wrote: »
    The New Season of You Must Remember This is as fantastic as ever.

Ah, I fell out of the habit of listening to Karina just after the Manson Family series. She has an amazing voice though. I might have to just skip forward to the new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Real Dictators.

The first two episodes have been about Kim Jong Il, and were captivating listening. Narrated by Paul McGann, and with very high production values.

Straight into my subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'll have a bit of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Real Dictators.

The first two episodes have been about Kim Jong Il, and were captivating listening. Narrated by Paul McGann, and with very high production values.

Straight into my subscriptions.

Cheers, it's a good one.

Not really a podcast, but one of the sources for this show is 'A Kim Jong Il Production', thé story of how the titular dictator kidnapped his favourite South Korean actress and director so they would make movies for him. The audiobook is up on Audible, really good.

There is a really nice podcast on classical history called 'The Layman's Historian' - so far, it's been mostly about Carthage. The subject is interesting, your man is a nice folksy fellow - if you liked 'The History of Rome', you'd probably enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Any good murder ones to recommend ?

Got to say Real Dictators is fantastic ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Casefile
    Mens Rea
    They walk among us
    Court Junkie
    Death in Ice Valley
    Nordic true crime
    Canadian True Crime
    The Teacher's Pet
    Still At Large Podcast

(I think I might be listening to too many crime podcasts)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

The Socially Distant Sports Bar is brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Casefile
    Mens Rea
    They walk among us
    Court Junkie
    Death in Ice Valley
    Nordic true crime
    Canadian True Crime
    The Teacher's Pet
    Still At Large Podcast

(I think I might be listening to too many crime podcasts)
    Sound íll give the one athere I haven't heard a listen

Any good murder ones to recommend ?

Got to say Real Dictators is fantastic ,

Real Dictators is brilliant. The production values, research, and story telling are at the very highest levels.

I just wish they had spent more time on North Korea tbh. I'm not looking for Dan Carlin levels of detail, but I do think they could have stretched the Kim Jong episodes out for another couple of episodes. Or even started with his auld lad.

The Stalin one that became available yesterday is fantastic as well.

Real Dictators is brilliant. The production values, research, and story telling are at the very highest levels.

I just wish they had spent more time on North Korea tbh. I'm not looking for Dan Carlin levels of detail, but I do think they could have stretched the Kim Jong episodes out for another couple of episodes. Or even started with his auld lad.

The same podcast network (Noiser) have a podcast 'Real Narcos' - a few episodes about Pablo Escobar, a few about Barry Seal (the drug trafficking pilot played in a biopic by Tom Cruise recently).

Tbh I did not expect to enjoy it much, not being especially interested in the subject, but again they were very well-produced, interviews with lots of the DEA agents who investigated the case, etc - worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭lc180

I really enjoyed the Wind Of Change podcast.

The host investigates a theory that power ballad Wing of Change by German rock band Scorpions was actually written by the CIA as part of a cold war propaganda program.

Its part fascinating and part hilarious! Perfect for anyone who loves spy thrillers and also 80's hair metal bands

wasn't really into North Korea as a subject but the first episode on Stalin was very good.

some great opinions / insights into the formation of his character and progress in the communist party.

hope that it keeps it up as they progress more through his timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MikeBrosnan17

I'd reccommend "How did this get made" for people who love bad movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Some very funny ones. Bloodsport is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭dougm1970

listened to first two stalin ones....so good....like watching a good movie...it creates the mental images like being there...really well produced.
    some boy stalin was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Agreed, unfortunately the Stalin series seems to have the same problem. Having read Simon Sebag Montefiore's works on Stalin, I would have preferred more detail on his role in 1917 and on the power struggle after Lenin's death, but OTOH maybe that would have meant too much time spent on tangential characters. I've still enjoyed the whole show so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Agreed, unfortunately the Stalin series seems to have the same problem. I would have preferred more detail on his role in 1917 and on the power struggle after Lenin's death, but OTOH maybe that would have meant too much time spent on tangential characters. I've still enjoyed the whole show so far.

they kind of glossed over his time in exile too....described how cold it was and he was a hunter and how he fathered children by various women (did they mention a 14 or 15 yr old getting pregnant ?)...and how he had a woman living with him.......i'd have liked more detail on all that.
    i actually watched the 1982 stalin film with robert duvell (spelling?) on back of episode one...he was superb as stalin, but it too just glossed over this period.

• Advertisement

dougm1970 wrote: »
    they kind of glossed over his time in exile too....described how cold it was and he was a hunter and how he fathered children by various women (did they mention a 14 or 15 yr old getting pregnant ?)...and how he had a woman living with him.......i'd have liked more detail on all that.
    i actually watched the 1982 stalin film with robert duvell (spelling?) on back of episode one...he was superb as stalin, but it too just glossed over this period.

it's Siberia - it's so cold that there is nothing going on there but riding.

honestly don't think that there is a lot of detail to provide most likely.

Agreed, unfortunately the Stalin series seems to have the same problem. Having read Simon Sebag Montefiore's works on Stalin, I would have preferred more detail on his role in 1917 and on the power struggle after Lenin's death, but OTOH maybe that would have meant too much time spent on tangential characters. I've still enjoyed the whole show so far.

They even have SSM on giving his piece. I'm the same as yourself; think is a great podcast. But I'd have loved a deep dive into these characters. I think the new generation of history podcasts, due to commercial reasons, will never get into the level of detail that Dan Carlin and Mike Duncan achieve/d.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Do you need to see the movies to enjoy the podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

"Unfinished". This is an excellent podcast hosted by an investigative journalist that covers unsolved murders and crimes in the UK. I've been listening to the ongoing "Shoebury's Lost Boys" episodes which investigates the apparent police cover-up of a paedophile ring in Essex in the late 1980s.

https://player.fm/series/unfinished

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cienciano wrote: »
    Do you need to see the movies to enjoy the podcast?

It helps, but it isn't essential.

I used to love that podcast, but it lost me a while back. Too many episodes are live shows now and they don't get into the nitty gritty of what makes the films truly awful when they're performing in front of an audience. It's still funny, but it doesn't do it for me as much.

Some of the earlier episodes are classics though, usually when they are talking to someone who was involved in the film's production.

Punisher Warzone
    Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles
    The Room
    Wild Wild West

I see a few of the regulars enjoyed the aircraft investigations podcast 'Inside the Black Box'; well, after a long hiatus, he has a new FOUR HOUR episode(!) coming out soon - can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ThePott

If anyone is interested I'm after updating my podcast to be a video pod which you can find below.

Sorry, I know I plug myself here every now and then and people are very supportive, this will be the last one for a while I suspect :pac:

'Fall of civilizations' - really nice one. Kind of lofty and poetic in tone, broad in scope (Vikings in Greenland, Mayans, Roman Britain), each episode outlines the reasons for collapse of a particular society. He has a lot of quotes from the sources by different voice actors, so there is more of a sense of immediacy than, say, 'History of Rome'. He goes a fair bit into detailing archaeological techniques - it's a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

It's probably been reccomended before but 13 Minutes to the moon is a great listen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

El Tarangu wrote: »
    'Fall of civilizations' - really nice one. Kind of lofty and poetic in tone, broad in scope (Vikings in Greenland, Mayans, Roman Britain), each episode outlines the reasons for collapse of a particular society. He has a lot of quotes from the sources by different voice actors, so there is more of a sense of immediacy than, say, 'History of Rome'. He goes a fair bit into detailing archaeological techniques - it's a good one.

I just listened to it recently, it’s really well done. I really enjoyed Rapa Nui, the Mayans, and the Aztecs.

Advertisement