Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nebra sky disk

• 10-12-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Most of you have probably heard of it.

I just have general thoughts on why it got left behind where it was found.

The people buried it as they were being over run and invaded. The swords were ceremonial and were left by the guards for it. That was my first theory.

When I looked back at it recently I was thinking more that it was robbed and the robbers were caught and killed as the owners were held in high esteem and that is why they did not return for their stash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Ok. Another theory to include the presence of the axe's. The axe's would have been carried by people on the move who would have been traveling reasonably far from home. So they were out traveling, possibly asked to come visiting (as people far and wide would have wanted someone that knew the seasons for childbirth and anything else.)

Then they got a warning that all was not well in the area they were traveling through. People were getting slaughtered left right and center. So they were told to go some place and wait for news. There they waited and when no news came they burred their fancy gear and went off to sell themselves into slavery.

A question folks. One of the items found was a chisel. What did they use chisels for? I'm fairly sure they weren't stone carving in 1600 BC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Smiles35 wrote: »
    A question folks. One of the items found was a chisel. What did they use chisels for? I'm fairly sure they weren't stone carving in 1600 BC.
    Humans have been carving stone with chisels for many thousands of years.

Front-Image-Of-The-Great-Sphinx-of-Giza.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I should have stipulated that I was not aware of stone carving around the area where the Nebra Sky Disc was found. Your always a welcome sight around here anyway Wibbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can't believe this is my first time hearing about this artifact tbh, very interesting. Not sure what evidence you have for your theories though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just on the materials used in the disk. It seems Cornish tin was used.

My mind is getting blown by this. Looks like Cornwall supplied tin to Europe and the Mediterranean.
    There must have been some powerful Larry Goodman type leader to mind and protect that monopoly and specific source for tin to the rest of Europe.

He probably got the workers/miners/slaves/whatever to build Stonehenge on the weekends. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Just on the materials used in the disk. It seems Cornish tin was used.

My mind is getting blown by this. Looks like Cornwall supplied tin to Europe and the Mediterranean.
    There must have been some powerful Larry Goodman type leader to mind and protect that monopoly and specific source for tin to the rest of Europe.

He probably got the workers/miners/slaves/whatever to build Stonehenge on the weekends. :pac:

And the copper mostly came from around Lough Leanne in Killarney!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Mount Gabriel in Cork was an important source for copper back in the day.
    Ross Island in Kerry was another source and is supposed to be one of the earliest Bell Beaker sites in Britain and Ireland.
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00665983.2003.11078174
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Island,_Killarney

That's very interesting about copper mining being done here. People from Britain can't seem to be able to find copper mines archeologically.

About the small Chisel being found with the Nebra disc. Well, it seems to be a common extra tool being carried by anyone with a sword on the move. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/10/3000-year-old-toolkit-suggests-skilled-warriors-crossed-europe-fight-epic-battle

So my best guess it was used to help re-point a sword as I know bronze is brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Smiles35 wrote: »
    That's very interesting about copper mining being done here. People from Britain can't seem to be able to find copper mines archeologically.

not sure what your saying there one of the biggest copper mines was in wales at the great orme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Orme

in fact its thought it was so productive it put other mines out of business

I'd love to do a short video on this. I think these people were great. Cast that Supermoons lady in it. She'd be president of Ireland if were still had a lunar calendar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement