Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blended Learning

Options
  • 28-05-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭

I believe this is a term we are all going to get very familiar with. Whatever form it takes, mixed classes, video conferences, online and students present in class.

Hopefully it's done in such a way that makes sense for teachers and students, but the dept is not exactly known for its outside the box thinking. :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Working in third level myself - we went from a 100% on site, practical course to 90% online overnight.

It's actually going surprisingly well. Have run everything now from classes to group activities and examinations over Zoom and Brightspace Virtual Classroom.

Still need to find a workaround for some of the practical elements, but we're getting there!

Before all of this happened we were looking at bringing a selection of our courses online, so this has really helped fast track all of the technology into place for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I believe this is a term we are all going to get very familiar with. Whatever form it takes, mixed classes, video conferences, online and students present in class.

Hopefully it's done in such a way that makes sense for teachers and students, but the dept is not exactly known for its outside the box thinking. :D
    If what I’ve heard comes to pass teachers may as well set up a bed in their classroom (if they are lucky enough to have one ).
    Number of timetabled hours will continue to mean nothing .
    Conditions of contract will mean nothing
    #teachervoice #teacherwellbeing will hardly be trending in support either
    :D

But that’s for another day.
    Let’s see what kind of craziness actually is proposed for us to think about over these holidays ......

And before I get attacked. This is a teaching and lecturing forum where I believe we are entitled to discussion degradation of our working conditions while still caring about our students !
    We have families too whose health I do not risked to appease politicians with their own agendas .
    Of course if things improve dramatically on the public health front then that’s changes things .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

km79 wrote: »
    If what I’ve heard comes to pass teachers may as well set up a bed in their classroom (if they are lucky enough to have one ).
    Number of timetabled hours will continue to mean nothing .
    Conditions of contract will mean nothing
    #teachervoice #teacherwellbeing will hardly be trending in support either

But that’s for another day.
    Let’s see what kind of craziness actually is proposed for us to think about over these holidays ......

And before I get attacked. This is a teaching and lecturing forum where I believe we are entitled to discussion degradation of our working conditions while still caring about our students !
    We have families too whose health I do not risked to appease politicians with their own agendas .
    Of course if things improve dramatically on the public health front then that’s changes things .

Not a chance I will be working outside of timetabled teaching hours. I've a family to care for and entitled to free time as much as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

JDxtra wrote: »
    Despite protests from parents, best our local primary school can do is weekly emails of work to be completed.

Well I suppose if it goes ahead then that's that then.

My kids get the weekly emails and that's enough for me. I just stick to the maths and English mostly. Then they do Duolingo and mathletics . I don't expect primary teachers to be running full day classes through Zoom, I think it's more for optics and parents bragging rights than anything else.

You hear people on the radio (usual knicker twist brigade) bemoaning how kids are getting dumber and were at crises point in terms of their education. They need to chillax a bit, kids will catch up as long as they do a bit of reading, writing and maths everyday.

Treppen wrote: »
    Well I suppose if it goes ahead then that's that then.

My kids get the weekly emails and that's enough for me. I just stick to the maths and English mostly. Then they do Duolingo and mathletics . I don't expect primary teachers to be running full day classes through Zoom, I think it's more for optics and parents bragging rights than anything else.

You hear people on the radio (usual knicker twist brigade) bemoaning how kids are getting dumber and were at crises point in terms of their education. They need to chillax a bit, kids will catch up as long as they do a bit of reading, writing and maths everyday.

Putting on my parents hat
    As a parent of a child in 3rd class we have received weekly emails with work and I was happy with that.
    People calling for zoom classes etc for primary kids would have been the same ones complaining about access to laptops for the classes!
    Like yourself I focussed on English , Maths and some Irish. in the afternoons he is doing his own reading, Art and Science ! Days like today he is outside as we are lucky to have a big rural garden.
    If it was the Winter it would be different in that regard. I would have him doing a bit more bookwork. But I would not welcome Zoom classes all day. We do not have the broadband or laptop capacity for it. And nobody will convince me having kids (or adults) sitting in front of the laptop as we have done for 3 months is healthy.

I feel strongly we will have to make our voices heard on any proposals regarding "blended learning"......

• Advertisement

“Teachers should not be expected to carry out any online teaching with which they feel uncomfortable or in the absence of agreed protocols.

Real-time teaching or live communication.

It must be borne in mind that real-time teaching or live communication can potentially give rise to concerns such as privacy and child protection. There are no current agreed guidelines in operation regarding such engagement with students. There have been few or no risk assessments undertaken in the vast majority of schools with regard to these activities and whole school policies have not been developed. It is in that context that teachers should consider the usage of such facilities. Many schools are uploading material for students rather than engaging in real-time teaching or live communication “

The union ahead Office better get ready to “don the green jersey “ to fight for their members rights over the summer

Apparently the Roadmap/JMB is going to push for all teachers to teach all classes live. In school. From September

In some ways it might be better if we did just go in and leave it all there . Log off . Come back into school next day and log back on
    But we all know that it will continue when we go home too
    Long summer ahead !
    Best enjoy it I suppose

“Teachers should not be expected to carry out any online teaching with which they feel uncomfortable or in the absence of agreed protocols.

It must be borne in mind that real-time teaching or live communication can potentially give rise to concerns such as privacy and child protection. There are no current agreed guidelines in operation regarding such engagement with students. There have been few or no risk assessments undertaken in the vast majority of schools with regard to these activities and whole school policies have not been developed. It is in that context that teachers should consider the usage of such facilities. Many schools are uploading material for students rather than engaging in real-time teaching or live communication “

The union ahead Office better get ready to “don the green jersey “ to fight for their members rights over the summer

Apparently the Roadmap/JMB is going to push for all teachers to teach all classes live. In school. From September

In some ways it might be better if we did just go in and leave it all there . Log off . Come back into school next day and log back on
    Long summer ahead !
    Best enjoy it I suppose

Can confirm , after a JMB meeting a couple of days ago we were told that it's going to be blended learning in September.

In my own head at this stage I'm like, well, whatever it is we'll do it like we've always done, not moan, take the teacher bashing abuse from the public when we voice our concerns ( e.g. Predicted Grades, Junior Cycle, Croke Park etc.).

But, at the same time, since when did teachers start taking direction (directives!) from the JMB?

Can confirm , after a JMB meeting a couple of days ago we were told that it's going to be blended learning in September.

In my own head at this stage I'm like, well, whatever it is we'll do it like we've always done, not moan, take the teacher bashing abuse from the public when we voice our concerns ( e.g. Predicted Grades, Junior Cycle, Croke Park etc.).

But, at the same time, since when did teachers start taking direction (directives!) from the JMB?

Teachers don't. Principals do.
    What we have been doing up until now IS blended learning.
    That did not involve being forced to video conference......anyway it is too late in the night for this discussion :D

The minister is presenting a memo to the cabinet on the matter later apparently ......

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Just to note - some students really surprised me during this time. A lot of mischief makers/demotivated students did surprisingly well. Better than they would have in school. Not sure why - less distractions, less trying to fit in with the clique, pure boredom.... or the gun over their head at home/support at home??

• Advertisement

Just to note - some students really surprised me during this time. A lot of mischief makers/demotivated students did surprisingly well. Better than they would have in school. Not sure why - less distractions, less trying to fit in with the clique, pure boredom.... or the gun over their head at home/support at home??

Or they goooooogled the answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Or they goooooogled the answers

goooooogled answer > no answer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not a teacher....working parent of small children.Anecdotally,among colleagues and friends with primary kids, the consensus seems to be we would prefer them back in preferably full time come Sept.Blended learning...nope.For the record I am one of the lucky ones....I am under no pressure to be back in an office till probably next year and my employer is extremely flexible plus I am not reliant on a creche.But many are not that lucky and blended learning, online classes all assume someone is at home to supervise the kids doing it, as well as double jobbing for teachers.Parents are not all home, what about the many kids that go to creche, afterschool, grandparents, etc -there are many children who simply won't be able to do blended learning come Sept due to home circumstances.

Selfish though it sounds, I am hoping the unions throw out this idea.I am sure there are loads of people out there to tell me parents should not be working and the like....nice, but aspirational. Reality is that many parents do work - as much as these ideas don't suit teachers, they don't suit many parents either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gin_in_a_tin

shesty wrote: »
    Not a teacher....working parent of small children.Anecdotally,among colleagues and friends with primary kids, the consensus seems to be we would prefer them back in preferably full time come Sept.Blended learning...nope.For the record I am one of the lucky ones....I am under no pressure to be back in an office till probably next year and my employer is extremely flexible plus I am not reliant on a creche.But many are not that lucky and blended learning, online classes all assume someone is at home to supervise the kids doing it, as well as double jobbing for teachers.Parents are not all home, what about the many kids that go to creche, afterschool, grandparents, etc -there are many children who simply won't be able to do blended learning come Sept due to home circumstances.

Selfish though it sounds, I am hoping the unions throw out this idea.I am sure there are loads of people out there to tell me parents should not be working and the like....nice, but aspirational. Reality is that many parents do work - as much as these ideas don't suit teachers, they don't suit many parents either.

As a teacher and a mam to three children I agree. Blended learning won’t work going forward. Where will I be with three kids in and out of school every second day with a 2 year old who may not be able to start ecce in preschool. It’ll be a disaster for some households. Hopefully most shops offices and workplaces will be open by September and parents will really be up in arms over a blended learning approach. I know I will anyway. Am stressing about what August and September will bring.

Like many people you seem to forget many teachers are also parents .
    These ideas do not “suit” us as either professionals or as parents.
    It will be an absolute nightmare for me. We have no childcare facilities now .
    I am basically hoping for a miracle over the summer in that it improves to the point where there is a full return for primary and secondary .
    The worst case scenario is actually the halfway house of “blended learning “ . If I thought for one minute it will be well thought out and choreographed by the Dept I would not be so worried . It won’t be . It will be left to “local management “. So it will vary and will no doubt change from month to month.
    Regarding the workings of it I can only hope the unions are going to fight to protect their members. Video conferencing classes are going to be pushed for. There are no national guidelines or policies in place for this.

As a teacher and a mam to three children I agree. Blended learning won’t work going forward. Where will I be with three kids in and out of school every second day with a 2 year old who may not be able to start ecce in preschool. It’ll be a disaster for some households. Hopefully most shops offices and workplaces will be open by September and parents will really be up in arms over a blended learning approach. I know I will anyway. Am stressing about what August and September will bring.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, there's nothing like teaching a class of 6th years when your 3 year old runs in and punches you in the balls.

I miss my classroom.

Yeah, there's nothing like teaching like teaching a class of 6th years when your 3 year old runs in and punches you in the balls.

I miss my classroom.

That me genuinely laugh out loud

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Like many people you seem to forget many teachers are also parents .
    These ideas do not “suit” us as either professionals or as parents.
    It will be an absolute nightmare for me. We have no childcare facilities now .
    I am basically hoping for a miracle over the summer in that it improves to the point where there is a full return for primary and secondary .
    The worst case scenario is actually the halfway house of “blended learning “ . If I thought for one minute it will be well thought out and choreographed by the Dept I would not be so worried . It won’t be . It will be left to “local management “. So it will vary and will no doubt change from month to month.
    Regarding the workings of it I can only hope the unions are going to fight to protect their members. Video conferencing classes are going to be pushed for. There are no national guidelines or policies in place for this.

I am not assuming it suits teachers at all, nor did I say that.As an aside, I have a parent who is a primary teacher, so I can assure you I am well aware of what teachers do.

I am saying that teachers are being asked to double, if not triple, job with this idea.And parents may aswell be told to stay home for home-schooling purposes for the long term, if this proposal goes through.

I have childcare facilities, and it is not actually the school or preschool - I have a minder.As I said, I am one of the lucky ones, but the idea of blended learning for primary school kids anyway, seems like an unworkable one for both parents and teachers.

I am equally hoping for that miracle - as I said.I am hoping that evidence will show there is no spike with kids in school, or else that they do not contribute to the transmission and infection of others.But unfortunately I do not expect to hear anything definite until about August 26th.Most likely from the media.And my only hope is that the INTO etc.will throw the idea out as unworkable.Because the Government won't listen to parents-they certainly haven't paid any attention to us as a group to date.

• Advertisement

I am not assuming it suits teachers at all, nor did I say that.As an aside, I have a parent who is a primary teacher, so I can assure you I am well aware of what teachers do.

I am saying that teachers are being asked to double, if not triple, job with this idea.And parents may aswell be told to stay home for home-schooling purposes for the long term, if this proposal goes through.

I have childcare facilities, and it is not actually the school or preschool - I have a minder.As I said, I am one of the lucky ones, but the idea of blended learning for primary school kids anyway, seems like an unworkable one for both parents and teachers.

I am equally hoping for that miracle - as I said.I am hoping that evidence will show there is no spike with kids in school, or else that they do not contribute to the transmission and infection of others.But unfortunately I do not expect to hear anything definite until about August 26th.Most likely from the media.And my only hope is that the INTO etc.will throw the idea out as unworkable.Because the Government won't listen to parents-they certainly haven't paid any attention to us as a group to date.

Agree with all that
    I also think the Dept are hoping for the miracle !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I'm the same. A lot depends on the household and the student themself. I have had students during this lockdown who have excelled and the quality of work has went up enormously. Whereas if they were in school they wouldn't engage at all. Also, a few good students have completely dropped off the face of the earth. Zero work submitted and terrible attempts at tests. I think this is down to circumstances in the household.

Long summer ahead !
    Best enjoy it I suppose

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/principals-consider-proposal-to-cancel-2021-junior-cert-exams-39255787.html

And in the middle of that article is what I heard last week
    NAPD are pushing for live streaming of all classes
    Even those with students in front of you. As some students may not be able to attend school due to underlying conditions etc

Any notion of cancelling the JC at this point is ridiculous too. And will add fuel to the #cancltheLc2021 brigade

Cancel the 2021 JC? What planet are these people on?

Just bin the CBAs. Although some parts of it I do like and could be left to teacher discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/principals-consider-proposal-to-cancel-2021-junior-cert-exams-39255787.html

And in the middle of that article is what I heard last week
    NAPD are pushing for live streaming of all classes
    Even those with students in front of you. As some students may not be able to attend school due to underlying conditions etc

Any notion of cancelling the JC at this point is ridiculous too. And will add fuel to the #cancltheLc2021 brigade

The DES will love the idea of cancelling the JC. They are attempting to maintain their position of being one of the most underfunded systems in the OECD.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How would live blended learning work ? We will be teaching smaller groups every day , so when do we do the “ live lessons?” I’m somewhat amused with how GDPR and things that formerly would have been against child protection codes are being pushed by the DES - ringing children at home , zoom calls to primary age children , suggesting we write to the children etc .

How would love blended learning work ? We will be teaching smaller groups every day , so when do we do the “ live lessons?” I’m somewhat amused with how GDPR and things that formerly would have been against child protection codes are being pushed by the DES - ringing children at home , zoom calls to primary age children , suggesting we write to the children etc .

Heard someone rambling on about having half in class and would be broadcasting at the same time to the other half at home, so they'd both get exactly the same lesson.

Piece of cake ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

So ridiculous. It's a classroom lesson, not a lecture, with all the usual interactions that go along with that. Will parents be happy to have their child's academic weaknesses and misbehaviour broadcast into other people's houses, and possibly recorded?

Heard someone rambling on about having half in class and would be broadcasting at the same time to the other half at home, so they'd both get exactly the same lesson.

Piece of cake ya?

This seems to be the gist of the “plan”!
    I hope the unions head honchos are planning on working their annual leave ......they had no issue with us doing the same so I assume they will work through the summer to ensure we are not railroaded into something crazy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

So ridiculous. It's a classroom lesson, not a lecture, with all the usual interactions that go along with that. Will parents be happy to have their child's academic weaknesses and misbehaviour broadcast into other people's houses, and possibly recorded?

That’s why it won’t work. Imagine being the kid at home and half the class is spent dealing with classroom disruption, or homework not done, or some poor kid who just doesn’t get what’s going on! Totally unworkable for most classes.

Advertisement