Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Nest Hub - €58.53 (exp 9 Mar 2021 at 4:00 pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Routines work well for the radio, I find

Create a new routine with any keywords you like, and type in "play rte 2fm on tunein radio" as the action. Should hopefully work for you when you then say the keywords

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

PARlance wrote: »
    'Play Dublin RTE 2FM' works best

Thanks so much - that actually works , I'd given up to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

If anyone wants a sealed one at the reduced price and can collect from Glasnevin, just pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

I have a problem with the Photo Frame. I have maybe 50 pictures in an album and the majority display ok, but selfies don't seem to show on the Hub at all. Any ideas for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Is this a portrait Vs landscape thing maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Double C wrote: »
    I have a problem with the Photo Frame. I have maybe 50 pictures in an album and the majority display ok, but selfies don't seem to show on the Hub at all. Any ideas for this?

Buy a mirror?

(Sorry couldn't resist)

'Play Dublin RTE 2FM' works perfectly...

But I don’t want the Dublin version! Is there not a culchie edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Is this a portrait Vs landscape thing maybe?

Could be on the money here.

On mine - it seems to put portrait photos side by side with a landscape one as shown attached.

Screenshot-2021-03-08-17-38-51-574-com-google-android-apps-photos-2.jpg

It also automatically crops some of the photos for some strange reason.

Yeah, those photos look goofy...

I'll show myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Nah it's not portrait vs landscape, there are plenty of portrait photos showing. Weird one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

This! Pain in the hole indecision! :pac:

Edit: Although I've just saved myself €60. Bargain! :D

Strangely the UK site still had stock but given the brexit world we are in ordering from there wasn't an option. Am hoping the deal reappears soon....need a third one lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

How do you set up routines ? Can't find it in the Google home app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I had this on my old phone - Routines was not displayed as a button in the main app.
    The way around it was to tap "Home" under your home name then set to "Away" then set to "Home" again. Then go to Recent Events (bottom right) and you will see the event of the routine running. Tap edit the routine. Tap Save without changing anything and you'll get the routines listed.

A pain....

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

'Play Dublin RTE 2FM' works perfectly...

Does anyone know, in exactly, the same context, how to get Newstalk streaming as it always plays back some American station for me!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Play Newstalk FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

legend99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know, in exactly, the same context, how to get Newstalk streaming as it always plays back some American station for me!?

I have the same issue with Alexa, got around it by saying "play Newstalk from Tunein".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

John2002 wrote: »
    I have the same issue with Alexa, got around it by saying "play Newstalk from Tunein".

That's interesting because the common denominator here is TuneIn which is the source of most of these issues.

That's interesting because the common denominator here is TuneIn which is the source of most of these issues.

Yeah have to say when I ask Google to play heart, capital or smooth UK as its coming from global player....no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

I suppose to be fair many of the names aren't unique. But you would think the algorithm would default to playing the nearest one to you. Instead when I ask for Newstalk I get Newstalk KZRG - https://newstalkkzrg.com/

So in one sense it is streaming Newstalk. But not the Newstalk that I want. So i guess he question is how to differentiate stations with the same name....

Anyway. To return the bargain. I also hung on to buy. And seeing same out of stock. The price is still coming up at 59.99 so maybe there is hope.....

• Advertisement

Are you guys still getting a weird US ad before an Irish ad before the radio station comes on from tunein?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Are you guys still getting a weird US ad before an Irish ad before the radio station comes on from tunein?

About one time in ten. I got a German ad the other day.

Time to mark this one as expired - it's back in stock at full price.

EDIT: and now back out of stock even at full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

dingding wrote: »
    As well as the nest cameras, it works very well with the nest doorbell.

When the doorbell is pressed, it displays the camera and some options on the touch screen.

Some of the reviews I looked at (surprisingly) said it didn't perform this function very well as in sometimes the doorbell alert didn't pop on the Hub or was significantly delayed and even more bizarrely the option to talk to the person at the door, which available though the Nest app on phones etc, is not available on the Hub.

Are either of the above true or have more recent software updates fixed these issues?

Also, this is a more general query on the Nest Hub, is it possible to load apps onto it like a tablet, particularly an IPTV app or are you limited to the pre-installed apps which I assume are the Google family of apps such as YouTube, Keep Notes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If you change your language to English (UK) you should get routines in the Google Home app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Sappy404 wrote: »
    If you change your language to English (UK) you should get routines in the Google Home app.

I have it set as English UK already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

Must have been boards.ie that cleaned them out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Is there much difference between the mini speakers 1 and 2? I see My Memory.ie have two of the Mark 1 refurbished for €30!

UK still had stock at the special price yesterday. Bastards:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

93Cab wrote: »
    Is there much difference between the mini speakers 1 and 2? I see My Memory.ie have two of the Mark 1 refurbished for €30!

The Google home mini sound isn't as good as the nest mini. If that's the comparison you're asking about. The nest mini has a fuller sound.
    Nest mini also has a notch on the back so you can hang it on a screw in the wall.

Fyi, the Google home mini is long discontinued, though perhaps you're talking about versions of the latest nest mini, which I'm unaware of

Advertisement