Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to compete with GoMo with “Clear Mobile”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

FluffPiece wrote: »
    Did a quick look and I believe a 50gb data limit applies to Post Mobile.

Yes but he'll get decent speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭icom

TheDriver wrote: »
    Wonder what APN will they use for this?

No APN changes required if using the sim in an existing Vodafone handset
    (Will also work in handset locked to the Vodafone Network)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

DopeTech wrote: »
    No, if you are leaving a network and have credit left you can request it back in the form of a cheque presumably. I think one of them, maybe 3 take a cut in form of an admin free.
    As I said, that's not applicable yet as the EECC has yet to come into force.

https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/1

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

I would assume that if its capped at 5MB, you'll get a very reliable 5MB.
    You could easily find that you get a better user experience than others networks offering higher max speeds. Especially as it's the vodafone network.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I would assume that if its capped at 5MB, you'll get a very reliable 5MB.
    You could easily find that you get a better user experience than others networks offering higher max speeds. Especially as it's the vodafone network.

I wouldn’t bank on that at all to be honest, oh and Vodafone aren’t as good as we are led to believe. Eir and three have greatly enhanced their networks over the last few years. A few years ago, Vodafone were miles ahead, they may still be ahead now, but not the same level as before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

Lads .. don't let yourselves get fooled here …
    5Mbit/sec as advertised are at best:
    5 Mbps = 0.625 MB/s = 625KB/s
    that's not a lot ..

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

TheDriver wrote: »
    Yes but he'll get decent speeds.

I had An Post Mobile for the free month and it was nowhere near as good as Vodafone - I've gotten up to 150Mb/s with vodafone in my house and I could barely get 2Mb/s at times.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

jdon72 wrote: »
    I had An Post Mobile for the free month and it was nowhere near as good as Vodafone - I've gotten up to 150Mb/s with vodafone in my house and I could barely get 2Mb/s at times.
    How long ago was that? They used to be 3G only but finally added 4G last year.

jdon72 wrote: »

I have a VF phone living with me and PM myself and yes, speeds are less with higher ping times but never the discrepancy you note. I've gotten up to 170 on PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

My gomo coverage is terrible so I may consider this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Irish_rat wrote: »

Roughly what County/area are you in?

I'm in Galway & have had no issues with GoMo coverage.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I'd recommend you try a)48 b) PostMobile prior to this offering

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I was considering switching to Clear Mobile but went with Postmobile. The 5mpb decided it for me in the end. I actually think its a bit mad they would offer that. Only joined Postmobile today but so far so good. I have good speeds on 4g and no connection issues. My only recommendation is to get set up in the post office. Apparently SIM cards ordered online are taking ages to arrive.

It’s a real shame that post Mobile don’t support the personal hotspot on the iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just looking at this. 12.99 per month, first month free, but 12.99 activation charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Just looking at this. 12.99 per month, first month free, but 12.99 activation charge.

Yep, you read it correctly.

Roughly what County/area are you in?

I'm in Galway & have had no issues with GoMo coverage.

I'm in Castletroy, Limerick in a newly built estate.

When 'm working from home, I need to 2fa Skype and the calls and texts don't come through half the time.

I'm in Castletroy, Limerick in a newly built estate.

When 'm working from home, I need to 2fa Skype and the calls and texts don't come through half the time.

Out of interest, are you in a timber frame house, I've come other people who have mobile phone signal problems, regardless of whom their network is that live in timber frame houses. Apparently the foil back and the thick layers of insulation play havoc with the signal, don't know how true that is tbh. Could well be BS though, but that is what they told me.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Out of interest, are you in a timber frame house, I've come other people who have mobile phone signal problems, regardless of whom their network is that live in timber frame houses. Apparently the foil back and the thick layers of insulation play havoc with the signal, don't know how true that is tbh. Could well be BS though, but that is what they told me.

Yes it actually is, that's a strange one! Never heard of that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭joe1303l

icom wrote: »
    No APN changes required if using the sim in an existing Vodafone handset

The ability to use a Handset locked to the Vodafone Network is a big advantage over competitors.
    Used high end Vodafone locked phones are way cheaper to buy than unlocked handsets. Ideal for young people that go through handsets pretty often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Aquos76 wrote: »

I know its not quite the same thing, but I worked in a place and the control rooms were made from that modular panelling, i.e insulation sandwiched between two thin steel coatings.

Not a hope in hell of getting a signal in any of those rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cfingers

icom wrote: »

Where did you read that? I'd be tempted if I was able to confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dollylama

What's the latest with Vodafone and tethering or using their sims in the likes of a router? I'm on their 35e pm prepay plan and I can't tether but others i know can tether on some Vodafone prepay plans

Is it possible to tether on their new unlimited X plans or will clear mobile allow tethering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

Anyone having problems with receiving mobile signals in there house should try one of these to sort problem.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20210116115839&SearchText=4g+signal+booster

homingbird wrote: »
    Anyone having problems with receiving mobile signals in there house should try one of these to sort problem.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20210116115839&SearchText=4g+signal+booster

As long as you're aware that all of those are illegal as they're not EU compliant.

https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/mobile-phone/mobile-phone-repeaters

joe1303l wrote: »
    The ability to use a Handset locked to the Vodafone Network is a big advantage over competitors.
    Used high end Vodafone locked phones are way cheaper to buy than unlocked handsets. Ideal for young people that go through handsets pretty often.

Well in fairness, this is the same for people with Eir locked handsets and Gomo sims and Tesco locked handsets and 48 months

cfingers wrote: »
    Where did you read that? I'd be tempted if I was able to confirm that.

Asked Clear Mobile on their Twitter feed and they confirmed.

dollylama wrote: »
    What's the latest with Vodafone and tethering or using their sims in the likes of a router? I'm on their 35e pm prepay plan and I can't tether but others i know can tether on some Vodafone prepay plans

Is it possible to tether on their new unlimited X plans or will clear mobile allow tethering?

I have used Vodafone unlimited X plan sim in an unlocked 4G router with no issued, I presume the Clear Mobile sim will work the same. They state on the website that tethering is permitted.

Quote:
    Can I tether my phone to other devices?

You can tether another phone, laptop or tablet to your phone and your unlimited data, the max speed of 5Mbps will still apply when using apps or websites on the other device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Simi

This is not a very compelling offer. If you can get any more that 5mb/s in your area with 48 or GOMO, they're both significantly better value.

I ditched GOMO for 48 and haven't regretted it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Simi wrote: »
    I ditched GOMO for 48 and haven't regretted it.

Same here, I was having lots of issues with reception with Gomo in my home, both data and terrible issues with call reception. People needed to call me 3 or 4 times before they could get through. I had family members in other parts of the country have the same issue.

48 has been perfect, with no issues at all and clear reception. Three’s network seems to have improved a lot and this new service doesn’t really look very attractive IMO, but always good to see extra competition.

Advertisement