Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

theteal wrote: »
    Irish people have paid money to attend Pat Shortt gigs. . . .

I don't know where else to go after that

From our neck of the woods we can relate to D'unbelievables somewhat and got their humour but when they split it was downhill from there.

High brow humour can be equally as annoying though. What is it about sneering sarcastic material that makes some people think that it requires a higher level of intellect to perform it? Or that it's of higher quality. For me it's equally as obvious.

Stewart Lee is the perfect example of that. Went to see him once and he had a 20 minute routine about George Bush being an idiot but it was all based on something Bush had never actually said but Lee delivered it in his usual dean pan, mocking, snide and sarcastic fashion and so the audience, given that's what they came for, lapped it up.

im not being snide here, but you do know with stewart lee..... thats the joke? right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

siblers wrote: »
    Alison Spittle, she's not even a comedian...I dunno what the **** she is trying to be

She doesn't have a polished stage craft or anything but I find some of her ramblings quite funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Another plus 1 for Maeve Higgins.

It's the only time ever I felt a gig early and so did a lot of others. Not just unfunny but a painful test of endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PJ Gallagher can be funny at times, but I can't stand his mannerisms, I find them all annoying for some reason.

But comedians I don't find funny would be: Andrew Maxwell, Jason Bryne, Neil Delamere, Ed Bryne, Ardal O'Hanlon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

osarusan wrote: »
    Andrew Maxwell is the unfunniest person ever.
    So Jason Byrne isn't a person then? That's jacist. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Andrew Maxwell is top of the list for me. Was at a show of his a few years back and I've never seen such a half hearted and uninterested performance. He could not have cared less. I've seen people bomb who were better. And from what I've heard and read that wasn't necessarily that unusual a night for him. He's just no good.

I can't say that I've ever once chuckled at Jason Byrne and his antics. He's loud and silly but he isn't particularly funny.

People on here saying The Rubberbandits are crazy. Their stuff is inspired and on a different level to most other Irish comedy!

I would have held the opinion that Karl Spain was just okay, I went to see him one night and he was grand. Exactly one week after that I went to see another comedy show in the same spot. The headliner cancelled at the last moment, and Karl was called in at the last minute as a replacement. I thought, jesus christ - all over again? Well, as it turns out he was legendary second time around. He said he couldn't do the same show twice in the same place, so he just winged it, throwing out improvised jokes, feeding off heckles and the atmosphere. It was one the funniest shows I've ever attended. I'll always like him for that - he turned up in front of an audience that didn't want to see him, with nothing prepared and he killed it. Contrast that with Andrew Maxwell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Nobody has ever even come near the comic geniuses Zig and Zag. They need to come back and do standup.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,122 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The recession cleaned some of them out as people and the halfwit fookwit entertainment buyers in companies they worked for were unwilling to blow money on unproven unfunny out and out **** entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The problem with Tommy Tiernan is that he hasn't changed anything since his glory days 10-15 years ago. Went to see him here in Sydney a few months ago and most of his stuff was the same sh!te he was going on about years ago, some even the EXACT same jokes.
    What's worse is he insists on doing more roaring, screaming and shouting which gets painfully cringeworthy after the first time and does this stupid thing where he hunches down nearly on his knees, what the fcuk is all that about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Can't stand slapstick comedy and impressionists.
    Therefore was never going to fall in love with Rubberbandits or Rosenstock.
    Not a fan of Republic of Telly either, didn't like Podge and Rodge back in the day.

Am a massive Dara fan, particularly when he's with Ed Byrne, although I'm not a huge fan of Ed on his own, they really do get the best out of each other.
    Tommy Tiernan's best days are sadly behind him, can tell even by his stand up shows.

Am a big fan of comedians, like the clever, witty and sarcastic stuff.. never going to get people who like everyone, you can't force yourself to like someone.
    I tried so much to like Lee Evans but I really couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

mosstin wrote: »
    That PJ Gallagher has only been mentioned once is remarkable.

Ha ha you mean ha ha P.J. ha ha Gallagher ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

My GF always looks at me funny when I say Brendan Grace is fantastic. I'm delighted he isn't getting shat on here. For what he does its brilliant. Niall Tobin had a great show too. I'm remember both of these fondly from childhood so I'm a bit biased. I seen Brendan Grace on the TV last X mass and thought it was still pretty good. A lot of Tommy bashing. His early stuff was excellent but he then went through a shouty phase. Anyone remember the show where he made the girl cry for taking a video of him on stage. That was not a funny show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cake Man wrote: »
    The problem with Tommy Tiernan is that he hasn't changed anything since his glory days 10-15 years ago. Went to see him here in Sydney a few months ago and most of his stuff was the same sh!te he was going on about years ago, some even the EXACT same jokes.
    What's worse is he insists on doing more roaring, screaming and shouting which gets painfully cringeworthy after the first time and does this stupid thing where he hunches down nearly on his knees, what the fcuk is all that about?

I saw him at the Edinburgh Fringe for the first time in years last August and I thought he was very good. Sold out show too into the 3rd week, something seemed different about him too, a lot more relaxed.

Ed Byrne would be my pick, he has a lot to be thankful for, then again Dara O'Briain is a big guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Oliver Callan isn't the unfunniest comedian out there, that's a very competitive category, but I'd say he's one of the most deluded. He seems to be under the impression that his caustic brand of satire is the reason he hasn't got a tv show and why the establishment is supposedly hostile towards him (assuming it even cares). This, of course, is rubbish. Public figures love being satirised by comedians, it keeps them relevant and somehow makes them seem more human. Thatcher loved her portrayal on Spitting Image, for example. The more biting the satire, the more public figures lap it up. Callan seems to be the only one who fails to recognise that he lost whatever tiny relevance he had years ago.

My heart sags whenever I hear the words "Oliver Callan" on radio one and I know a very unfunny Enda Kenny skit is about to unfold. The term one trick pony immediately springs to mind though, in fairness, he's far from on his own in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Thanks for the recommendations, Op. I had never heard of Romesh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

razorblunt wrote: »
    I saw him at the Edinburgh Fringe for the first time in years last August and I thought he was very good. Sold out show too into the 3rd week, something seemed different about him too, a lot more relaxed.

Ed Byrne would be my pick, he has a lot to be thankful for, then again Dara O'Briain is a big guy!

I couldn't agree more, him and Andrew Maxwell. Not only are they not funny, they are utterly charmless. Sneering and smug would be the two adjectives I'd use.
    Oh, add Colm O'Regan to that list.
    PS:
    Why do all comedians have exactly the same political outlook? There's a niche there for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Just don't get that shouty Tommy Tiernan style either. Kinda like Pat Shortt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Aidan Killian is another crap comedian who springs to mind, hasn't been mentioned yet as no one probably has heard of him but a real spiteful character. Often goes on big unfunny conspiratorial rants and tries in vain to berate those in the audience who don't agree. I like truthful and social commentary comedy but this guy is just so so awful at it like a incoherent street preacher mixed with the barstool drunk babbling. No clarity or wit whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

That young fella whose whole shtick is that he's gay and now that he's depressed. Not a single glimmer of originality.

I don't think he's funny in the slightest but being depressed is not a 'schtick'. Fair play to him for talking openly about it.

The best Irish comedians working right now are Foil, Arms & Hog.

There's also a few smaller Twitter/Facebook comedians like Chap's Eye and Brilliant Shane who are fantastic and very original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm very sympathetic to comedians, it's a hard gig and depression is nearly a job requirement.

Out of everyone else listed so far I think most of them could probably be funny in the right setting. You can't blame them for trying anything to make money any way they can.

If anyone has a real interest in comedians listen to "An Irishman Abroad" podcast hosted by Jarleth Regan. A really good insight into their lives. A particularly good one (which I wasn't expecting it to be) was Bernard O'Shea. Him talking about being hated and moving from gig to gig where the response was just so bad was a really good listen.

If anyone thinks all female irish comedians are bad have a listen to Aisling Bea, she's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nidom

I second Foils, Arms & Hog, some brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Nidom wrote: »
    I second Foils, Arms & Hog, some brilliant stuff.

Have funny moments alright, my favourite Irish short sketches is Sminky Shorts. Though they are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I don't find Mc Savage or Alison Spittle remotely funny. I can't understand the D'unbelieveables.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Out of everyone else listed so far I think most of them could probably be funny in the right setting. You can't blame them for trying anything to make money any way they can.

If anyone thinks all female irish comedians are bad have a listen to Aisling Bea, she's great.

I agree on Aisling Bea, I like her.

With regard to the "right setting", comedians as a job seems to have evolved from doing a run of comedy gigs, to doing some for a while and getting a spot on tv and trying to hold on to tv as long as possible.

In the UK now there seems to be a band of comedians that do nothing but jump from one panel show to another, by the time you go to see them live, they don't have any new material.

That's probably the one thing Bea needs to avoid, but from what I've seen so far, tv wise she seems to be a genuine funny person rather than a "read from the script of the panel show and wait for the gap for your material" funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

PJ Gallagher is a complete dose, even when being interviewed he has that stupid fake laugh that he puts on no matter what the question. He is not funny, never was and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

razorblunt wrote: »
    I agree on Aisling Bea, I like her.

With regard to the "right setting", comedians as a job seems to have evolved from doing a run of comedy gigs, to doing some for a while and getting a spot on tv and trying to hold on to tv as long as possible.

In the UK now there seems to be a band of comedians that do nothing but jump from one panel show to another, by the time you go to see them live, they don't have any new material.

That's probably the one thing Bea needs to avoid, but from what I've seen so far, tv wise she seems to be a genuine funny person rather than a "read from the script of the panel show and wait for the gap for your material" funny.

I agree. It is such a strange world for comedians now. Before they could write material and then go perform it and get paid for the gig, then do a comedy album and burn the material after using it for the previous 12 months.

But now they need to constantly be tweeting funny things, writing material for upcoming panel shows where they will need 3 or 4 funny jokes per topic. They need to be up to date on political issues and be ready to spout from their soap box any time they get a few hundred retweets on a joke. They are asked to go on the radio and comment on serious issues, and go on TV to do documentary/serious programs when the producers think the boring idea is just missing a funny host to liven it up. Then they go to the few remaining comedy clubs and they have people who have only seen their tweets, have only heard them on the radio, have only seen them on panel shows from 2009 because they're on Dave. And they have to deliver a set to accommodate all these different people. Combine that with the fact that some people in the room will be uploading clips to youtube, comedians are expected to be producing jokes and burning them after one single use.

For as bad as some Irish comedians are, there are a lot of them giving a really good effort at the above, and a few of them even managing to pull it all off convincingly.

I say fair play to any comedian, even the **** ones.

Im biased cos hes from my home town but i genuinely think Fred Cooke is halirious.

Detest Tommy Tiernan, that Kevin McAleer gets on my nerves as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

That Dermot Whelan guy from the radio.

D1ckhead

This is about unfunny comedians.
    Whelan is just some t1t off tv who said one day "I'm going to be a comedian now", and somehow people think he is one.
    Bit like a guy who buys a fancy calculator and sets himself up as an accountant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

jason byrne is the worst comedian i have ever seen. He tries so hard to be funny its cringy.

They all try hard to be funny. And they spend years playing **** gigs to drunk crowds to try and get there. What are they supposed to do, stop making the jokes that demonstrably work? If they are making a living from it you cant say they aren't funny, because they clearly are to enough people to make a viable career.

I don't see why comedians get this level of hatred, compared to almost any other harmless profession. Do people assume not liking a comedian makes their humour more discerning and sophisticated? You are allowed to not like things. Just change the channel and move on.

Advertisement