Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus and social protection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

Asking here for a friend...

They were temporarily laid off from work in January and are returning next week, they were on the PUP for 8 weeks.

They have now closed their PUP claim, and received €300 each week, so €2400 in total.

When they return to work, what will happen with tax and tax credits etc? The revenue and DEASP site aren't very clear on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

mark2912 wrote: »
    Asking here for a friend...

They were temporarily laid off from work in January and are returning next week, they were on the PUP for 8 weeks.

They have now closed their PUP claim, and received €300 each week, so €2400 in total.

When they return to work, what will happen with tax and tax credits etc? The revenue and DEASP site aren't very clear on this...

Hi, glad to hear they are back to work.

The below link might help, in essence they'll see a small drop in weekly TFA over a period of time to pay the tax element associated with PUP, it will be a very small amount if on the €300 or lower payment.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/pup-tax-liability/how-pup-received-in-2021-is-taxed.aspx#:~:text=Taxation%20of%20PUP%20received%20in%202021&text=any%20tax%20due%20is%20collected,are%20reduced%20by%20this%20amount.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hi, glad to hear they are back to work.

The below link might help, in essence they'll see a small drop in weekly TFA over a period of time to pay the tax element associated with PUP, it will be a very small amount if on the €300 or lower payment.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/pup-tax-liability/how-pup-received-in-2021-is-taxed.aspx#:~:text=Taxation%20of%20PUP%20received%20in%202021&text=any%20tax%20due%20is%20collected,are%20reduced%20by%20this%20amount.

So would I be right in saying:

20% tax on €300 = €60
    €60 x 8 weeks = €480

Their yearly tax credits would be reduced by just €480?

So would I be right in saying:

20% tax on €300 = €60
    €60 x 8 weeks = €480

Their yearly tax credits would be reduced by just €480?

I don't think it's that much but not an expert, basically my understanding is they'll reduce weekly tax free allowance for a defined period, but I really don't see it being €60 per week deducted. Keep in mind, your friends can do a revenue enquiry through my account to get a total liability for PUP for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Don't forget tax credits apply for the whole tax year and are usually applied on a weekly/monthly cumulative basis.
    The weekly tax credit for a single person is approximately €63pw.
    So if someone had €300 PUP for 8 weeks there should be zero tax liability. In fact their tax credits should be increased for the remainder of the tax year.
    Some people returning to work after being on PUP are being assessed on a "week 1" basis by Revenue. Contact them to be assessed on a cumulative basis rather than the week 1 basis.

• Advertisement

mystic wrote: »
    Don't forget tax credits apply for the whole tax year and are usually applied on a weekly/monthly cumulative basis.
    The weekly tax credit for a single person is approximately €63pw.
    So if someone had €300 PUP for 8 weeks there should be zero tax liability. In fact their tax credits should be increased for the remainder of the tax year.
    Some people returning to work after being on PUP are being assessed on a "week 1" basis by Revenue. Contact them to be assessed on a cumulative basis rather than the week 1 basis.

So would the credits be applied to the PUP payment of €300 in the same way as if it was €300 worth of wages from their job?

So would the credits be applied to the PUP payment of €300 in the same way as if it was €300 worth of wages from their job?

As far as I know the answer is yes as PUP is taxable income. You can send a query via "my enquiries" on the online Revenue system.

Another important point to note. Revenue may require confirmation from DSP that the PUP claim is closed as Revenue don't have access to the DSP system.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭bewareofthedog

I've been ill this week, if I don't collect my JSA will it there the following week?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Lads my wife was due back in work after maternity leave in February but they closed down due to covid. She applied for PUP about a month ago but has heard nothing. Is this the norm?

• Advertisement

Lads my wife was due back in work after maternity leave in February but they closed down due to covid. She applied for PUP about a month ago but has heard nothing. Is this the norm?

Hi, sorry to hear this,

No, that is not normal. PUP applications take no more than a few days to be processed. I'm just concerned her maternity leave might be the issue in relation to assessing previous earnings which forms part of eligibility criteria.

Assuming she has checked her mywelfare account for any notifications she will need to contact them urgently, number listed on mywelfare.

It's important to note, the mywelfare portal very slow to update on status (awarded) or closed. Also SW bizzarely do not notify claimants if its been awarded or closed via the portal, they do however contact claimants via notification if they require additional info etc. She needs to log in and firstly check for any notifications or requests for additional info, also check if Awarded is showing or not (kerp in mind my point on how slow it is to update), Eitherway she needs to contact them as her first payment if approved would have been the following week after application submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Hi, sorry to hear this,

No, that is not normal. PUP applications take no more than a few days to be processed. I'm just concerned her maternity leave might be the issue in relation to assessing previous earnings which forms part of eligibility criteria.

Assuming she has checked her mywelfare account for any notifications she will need to contact them urgently, number listed on mywelfare.

It's important to note, the mywelfare portal very slow to update on status (awarded) or closed. Also SW bizzarely do not notify claimants if its been awarded or closed via the portal, they do however contact claimants via notification if they require additional info etc. She needs to log in and firstly check for any notifications or requests for additional info, also check if Awarded is showing or not (kerp in mind my point on how slow it is to update), Eitherway she needs to contact them as her first payment if approved would have been the following week after application submitted.

Thanks so much for that :)

Thanks so much for that :)

No problem and good luck :)

It depends on what date she put in as the last day worked when applying for PUP.
    As she was on Maternity Benefit prior to claiming PUP she should put the last day worked as the day she was due to return to work after the Maternity Benefit ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Hi is it possible to get an appointment for the new ppsn card, that shows your face etc. My daughter recently turned 18 and needs id to open up a new bank account etc for college. I've looked into the Garda national age card but a lot of institutions don't recognize it. And her passport is out of date by at least 5 years so don't fancy going through all of that aggro again.

hadepsx wrote: »
    Hi is it possible to get an appointment for the new ppsn card, that shows your face etc. My daughter recently turned 18 and needs id to open up a new bank account etc for college. I've looked into the Garda national age card but a lot of institutions don't recognize it. And her passport is out of date by at least 5 years so don't fancy going through all of that aggro again.

I'm not sure banks accept these cards as they don't display all the information required, especially proof of DOB which is required to open an account. Unfortunately passport & or Driving licence acceptable and both experiencing substantial delays.

Thank you for your response. I have her birth certificate at hand, just need a valid form of identification that shows her face. What is the delay timeframe being experienced with the passports? 3 months plus, or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm not sure banks accept these cards as they don't display all the information required, especially proof of DOB which is required to open an account. Unfortunately passport & or Driving licence acceptable and both experiencing substantial delays.
    I renewed my (expired) passport last year for that very reason. I had to update some information with my local credit union and it was a bit of a saga, from recollection they eventually accepted my public services card and my birth cert (I'm clearly over 18 :pac:) but I decided just to renew the passport to make things easier for myself. Renewing the passport online is straightforward too but this was just before Covid so waiting times are probably a lot longer than I experienced.

Thank you for your response. I have her birth certificate at hand, just need a valid form of identification that shows her face. What is the delay timeframe being experienced with the passports? 3 months plus, or more?

It's a nightmare to be honest, the passport office just released a statement saying they've started to clear backlog but focusing on those requiring essential travel. I'd certainly think it's going to be more than a month, I'd certainly email or call them. Does your daughter even have a credit union account?

If facial ID only being requested, an appointment with social welfare for a card may be quicker but remember, all they show is photo, expiry date and PPS number, I'd confirm with bank if its acceptable, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

There's a recent thread on the Dublin City forum about wait times.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies and advice guys/gals.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

Hi all,

Has anyone here successfully applied for the Covid-19 Part Time Job Incentive for the Self Employed and did it take long to get?

My PUP is now closed (closed last Friday but I got what I think is my final payment last Tuesday) as I was earning slightly over the €980 (I think, still not fully sure as what I get in always varies) but still not back to full-time work as self-employed.

Did you get any notification you were awarded etc? I emailed my application today (I literally only found out about it yesterday) but am worried that as I'm off the PUP, I don't meet the eligibility requirements for it...

Any info would be so appriciated!

Hi all,

Has anyone here successfully applied for the Covid-19 Part Time Job Incentive for the Self Employed and did it take long to get?

My PUP is now closed (closed last Friday but I got what I think is my final payment last Tuesday) as I was earning slightly over the €980 (I think, still not fully sure as what I get in always varies) but still not back to full-time work as self-employed.

Did you get any notification you were awarded etc? I emailed my application today (I literally only found out about it yesterday) but am worried that as I'm off the PUP, I don't meet the eligibility requirements for it...

Any info would be so appriciated!

Hi there, just saw this but I see you got some advice on the self employed thread, hope you got sorted :)

Hi there, just saw this but I see you got some advice on the self employed thread, hope you got sorted :)

Still nothing on it – have tried for two days to get in touch with my local Intreo office to see if they at least received the application but to no avail!

I more want to know if I'm not eligible based on my PUP closing date so I'll keep trying to call them on Monday.

Still nothing on it – have tried for two days to get in touch with my local Intreo office to see if they at least received the application but to no avail!

I more want to know if I'm not eligible based on my PUP closing date so I'll keep trying to call them on Monday.

I'd be hopeful they'll see you only closed your PUP and might let it through, common sense etc. It does not look like many have taken up this scheme, for whatever reasons but I would think they'd prefer more to go onto it. Fingers crossed for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been on the PUP on and off since last March and now I have a dilemma. I've been asked to work for a few days (a once-a-year thing, probably paying less than €350). The company really needs me and the experience would stand to me but I can't afford to come off the PUP. Arguably, if you take a seasonal job and the season ends, you can't say that you "lost work because of the pandemic".

Is it possible to give up a week's payment but remain on the PUP when very short term work is offered, when it doesn't exist as a longer term role?

I'd be hopeful they'll see you only closed your PUP and might let it through, common sense etc. It does not look like many have taken up this scheme, for whatever reasons but I would think they'd prefer more to go onto it. Fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks so much, you’d hope so but I’d imagine it depends who looks at the application! I spoke to a very nice guy on the COVID support line who gave me his email to follow up if I don’t hear anything in a week so I have some options. He said the same, very few are on it but I wonder is it because so many don’t know about it?

I literally only heard about it a week after I’d closed my PUP and actually would have preferred to be on it much earlier as it’s based on the hours you work and there’s no cap on what you can earn as self employed on it so it would have been ideal and caused me much less stress in terms of tax etc! They definitely don’t shout about it enough as an option, IMO.

I've been on the PUP on and off since last March and now I have a dilemma. I've been asked to work for a few days (a once-a-year thing, probably paying less than €350). The company really needs me and the experience would stand to me but I can't afford to come off the PUP. Arguably, if you take a seasonal job and the season ends, you can't say that you "lost work because of the pandemic".

Is it possible to give up a week's payment but remain on the PUP when very short term work is offered, when it doesn't exist as a longer term role?

It's a dilemma alright but sadly no, you can't give up a payment for a week, you'd have to close your PUP claimi on the day you commence the job. I know a few people who returned to work recently for say two weeks, closed payments and after two weeks re applied for PUP and had no issues. PUP remains open until the 30th June I believe. Its really a personal decision for you to make,

You make a good point about loosing job because of Pandemic, however I believe that relates to original claim as such. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Hi, does anybody knows what day of the week is Covid 19 enhanced illness benefit paid ? I applied on Friday 19/03 I am self isolating from Saturday 13/03 until Saturday 27/03. No money in the bank account this morning. Checked my welfare and status updates overnight to awarded. My GP was busy with vaccinations and forgot to sent in my e cert. It was only sent in yesterday.

• Advertisement

angela1711 wrote: »
    Hi, does anybody knows what day of the week is Covid 19 enhanced illness benefit paid ? I applied on Friday 19/03 I am self isolating from Saturday 13/03 until Saturday 27/03. No money in the bank account this morning. Checked my welfare and status updates overnight to awarded. My GP was busy with vaccinations and forgot to sent in my e cert. It was only sent in yesterday.

Morning, when you applied did you submit a screenshot /communication from GP/HSE confirming you have to self isolate? The e cert is not technically required at point of application, this can be sent later. You mentioned you applied on a Friday, it's possible it wasn't looked at until Monday so payment slightly delayed. I believe, unlike PUP, this payment can be sent on any day Monday to Friday so I'm hopeful you'll recieve something this week and then on Tuesdays moving forward. One concern is you waited a week to apply? I believe your supposed to apply immediately so hopefully that won't be an issue with it being backdated. Good luck

Advertisement