Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getflix.com smart DNS lifetime subscription $29

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is a very annoying issue and you'd think it would be easy to fix.

Another option for now it to use two separate streaming sticks or a smart TV + separate streaming stick.

Set one of them to use the Getflix DNS and the other to use a standard DNS. Then use the one with the standard DNS for Disney+/Star.

BTW I'd encourage everyone to contact Getflix support about this. The more attention it gets, the more likely it is to be fixed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I just enter the DNS setting manually on each device and leave the DNS settings on my smart TV as auto so that way I get Irish Netflix and D+ on my TV app, where I get US content on the firestick and Xbox. This works well for me.

If using DNS on router you are relying on Getflix providing an option on their dashboard to set the Disney+ region but so far they haven't done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bk wrote:
    BTW I'd encourage everyone to contact Getflix support about this. The more attention it gets, the more likely it is to be fixed.

This is very important. The more complaints they get, the quicker this will be resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Here's how I see it. Getflix DNS settings in the router means wifi signal it puts out is getflix dns. I can't see how you can make a signal that goes through getflix seem like a signal that goes through getflix.

The Internet Address you type in a browser is a 'Domain Name'. However, the computer that the website is actually hosted on is identified by an address such as 192.168.001.100. Think of Domain Name Servers as similar to Telephone Directories - they link the computer address to the Domain name you type in a browser. Domain Name Servers forward your location to the site you are visiting. Smart Domain Name Servers route your request through a server in the country you want to get a service from (e.g. the US), making it appear that you are in that country.

Smart DNS Servers are a security risk and should never be configured in routers, or phones - only on media devices. A recent study shows that Smart DNS servers can result in your web activity being tracked, or even fraud (e.g. being redirected to fake websites). The solution you gave earlier, with a secondary router just for media, is fine. Just remember that if you connect to that router from a computer/phone/tablet you are putting that at risk.

Smart DNS Servers are a security risk and should never be configured in routers, or phones - only on media devices.

Router and phones are both media devices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

The likes of Getflix wouldn't last long if users had any security issues. I'm using it on my router for a few years and have never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It could definitely be a concern but I wouldn't trust google with my dns requests anymore than getflix as I'd assume they're using it to fingerprint me and isps have been caught rerouteing mistyped websites to their own sketchy for profit search sites. So unless you're gonna type the address in in the numerical format or build your own dns server I don't see the solution. Maybe when dns over https becomes a thing then it might be better to use that on devices that don't rely on proxying around geolocation restrictions.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Router and phones are both media devices?

Sorry, my comment was very unclear.

My point with regard to media devices was to restrict smart DNS services to devices, such as Firesticks and TV's, that are used only for consuming content. Or more specifically, to not install smart DNS services on any device which contains sensitive information, or is used for any type of financial service.
    bromley52 wrote: »
    The likes of Getflix wouldn't last long if users had any security issues. I'm using it on my router for a few years and have never had any issues.

We all like to believe this, the point is that you simply don't know this. All you know for sure is that you're not aware of any issues. Literally millions of devices, worldwide, are silently infected with malware; and new infections are continually identified. I wasn't aware of the level of risk with smart DNS services myself, until I started looking in to using it. I quickly realised that, while they are useful, they need to be handled with great care.

Anyway, it is your own decision how much risk you are up for. Personally, having direct experience of security breaches, I err on the side of caution. :)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It could definitely be a concern but I wouldn't trust google with my dns requests anymore than getflix as I'd assume they're using it to fingerprint me and isps have been caught rerouteing mistyped websites to their own sketchy for profit search sites. So unless you're gonna type the address in in the numerical format or build your own dns server I don't see the solution. Maybe when dns over https becomes a thing then it might be better to use that on devices that don't rely on proxying around geolocation restrictions.

I'm not a fan of Google, or their increasingly predatory practices. However, I do trust them not to redirect my traffic to malicious websites, allow criminals to monitor or intercept my DNS requests, or redirect my traffic in a manner that allows monitoring or malware injection.
    Smart DNS services are working in a legal grey area and base their operations in countries such as the Seychelles, to avoid regulation. The downside of that is that there is minimal oversight of their activities and no easy means of checking their bone fides.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Switched ISP today and now having trouble accessing iPlayer through my LG TV

Have tried Dublin & London DNS addresses, forced an IP update on the getflix site and unplugged TV & router.

Still nada.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Switched ISP today and now having trouble accessing iPlayer through my LG TV

Have tried Dublin & London DNS addresses, forced an IP update on the getflix site and unplugged TV & router.

Still nada.

Any ideas?

I think it's the LG TV. I've all LG tvs and the same issue so use Firestick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Sup08 wrote: »

no that is not the case, I have an LG tv among other devices and have no issue using getflix to watch iplayer etc

The internet isn’t for everyone

No can't be that, as I'd no issues with iPlayer on my LG until I switched ISP

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Funky_Corsa

No can't be that, as I'd no issues with iPlayer on my LG until I switched ISP

I opened a ticket with Getflix as US Netflix won't work on my LG TV. They confirmed it was an issue with LG TVs and promptly closed the ticket. Some days it will work, but most days it won't. The app will open up and anything on Irish Netflix will play, but anything not on Irish Netflix won't.

The iplayer does work for me though.

I opened a ticket with Getflix as US Netflix won't work on my LG TV. They confirmed it was an issue with LG TVs and promptly closed the ticket. Some days it will work, but most days it won't. The app will open up and anything on Irish Netflix will play, but anything not on Irish Netflix won't.

The iplayer does work for me though.

i have us netflix running for years on my lg tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

When I change the DNS on my LG TV none of the apps used with Getflix work. I've tried it on 2 out of 5 LG Tvs in the house and got the same result. I've no issues with the same apps in the firesticks with DNS updated to Getflix.

I'm with Vodafone on 1GB fibre be with seeing what other ISPs ppl are using to see anything common.

OmegaGene wrote:
    i have us netflix running for years on my lg tv

I have getflix. I find it great for prime video, UK NOWTV, iplayer, Hbomax, Showtime, paramount and many more. However I gave up on it for US Netflix a long time ago. It would buffer or when worked would be low quality resolution. Getflix is still great value though even without US Netflix.

I read somewhere a few months ago that Ireland Netflix has one of the largest content in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

...I've tried it on 2 out of 5 LG Tvs in the house....

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

When I change the DNS on my LG TV none of the apps used with Getflix work. I've tried it on 2 out of 5 LG Tvs in the house and got the same result. I've no issues with the same apps in the firesticks with DNS updated to Getflix.

I'm with Vodafone on 1GB fibre be with seeing what other ISPs ppl are using to see anything common.

I have found that the Vodafone Gigabox router will override any dns settings made by clients/devices.

you can explicitly set the getflix DNS on the router for everything. but bear in mind, getflix dns is a bit slow. Any you may have issues with them selling on data of DNS usage by its customers

I found that the old vodafone router (for 100MB) would respect the DNS settings of attached devices

bambam wrote: »
    you can explicitly set the getflix DNS on the router for everything. but bear in mind, getflix dns is a bit slow. Any you may have issues with them selling on data of DNS usage by its customers

This sorted it thanks

Manually set DNS in the Vodafone Gigabit router to getflix settings

If there's unintended consequences I'll ditch it and find a workaround. Getflix CS are quick to reply but the info is all a bit vague and disjointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coil1985

Recently bough a Sony Bravia a80j but I cannot get Getflix to work on it. I usually use it on my macbook primarily for NBA League Pass and it works great, just add the DNS to the Network Settings and done.

However, with the a80j, I have chosen Static in iP settings and added the dns record there. But it actually stops the internet from working.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this tv. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

What are the settings you entered into the Static IP area for the rest of the boxes besides the DNS?

Did you copy them from the address that it already had?

The IP Address you choose must match your local network and not be the same as one already in use.

The Router/Gateway address must be the the router address.

The Netmask must match the one in use by the router.

Where exactly would I get these, in my vigirn 3.0 hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

The settings I'm asking for are the ones you typed in to the TV.

Did you just type one value in for DNS or fill in all the gaps?

If those values are wrong you'll have no internet, but it's easily fixed.

Change back to automatic and see if the TV tells you the addresses it gets.

You'll get some clue what they should be even from your phone if it's connected to the same network

if you can find out what address it's using itself. Where you find that depends on your phone.

All devices connected to the network must share the same values with the exception of the last bit of the IP address.

For example if the router is 192.168.1.1 your IP address might be 192.168.1.2,

but your router must be 192.168.1.1 and default DNS the same with the netmask almost certainly 255.255.255.0 .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭Soarer

Did you ask their online help?

They're incredibly helpful.

The settings I put in are what the tv gave me. All i changed was the First DNS. it asks for:

IP Address, Gateway, Network prefix length, DNS 1, DNS2

If I know where to get the other items, I can put them in

They are but it must be something I am doing wrong with the other settings that are not the dns, i.e Gateway etc

I've now copied all details from the automatic settings to the static settings and added the dns. I now have internet but NBA is still saying we are in euro zone.

Did yuh check the dashboard on the website to make sure your ip is updated ?

• Advertisement

There is registered IP and current IP. they are the same. Is that to be used on the TV?

Advertisement