Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deprogramming Verona Murphy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

reg114 wrote: »
    It seems alot of these 'politicians' are taking their lead from Trump's brand of shock politics. Ultimately I have no issue with Ireland fulfilling its obligations to take in asylum seekers if they can be proved to be legitimate and the whole process be as quick and humane as possible.

It however must take into consideration the short, medium and potential long term considerations of not just the asylum seekers but also the community into which they will be integrated.

The problem is Ireland is that we do not have an asylum seeker processing system that is fit for purpose. Both the foreign nationals applying and the locals are treated with disdain and the result is fear and distrust at best and naked racism at worst. In that vacuum Grealish et al find a voice and a vote.

Leaderless govs, of which we have had a succession in this country are entirely to blame for the Dickensian approach to and fallout from Ireland's immigration policy.

Leo, a man who decided he didnt fancy getting his hands dirty and working on the front line of medicine thought he'd move up the pecking order and get into the world of politics. He's transitioned from being a failed doctor to a failed minister for transport , to a failed minister for health and now a failing Taoiseach who nobody voted for. I liken Leo to Bertie, both were Taoiseach during an economic boom , both love a photo op and both will be treated justifiably poorly by historians because both were useless.

Bertie had leadership skills. Quick on his toes and able to bull with the best of them. Leo hides when not putting his foot in it or being arrogant.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Well, maybe you could explain the OP in simple plain English to the rest of us, I think a key point of this thread is that people are struggling to understand what Matt is actually trying to say (ignoring his little jibes at FG, as he hardly opened another thread just for that) on the subject of Verona Murphy.

Yet you've still not posted on topic and choose to attack what you claim you can't understand.

Murphy makes statement we should vet asylum seekers for ISIS cooties. Leo has word. She retracts statement, partially.
    Is she genuine in the retraction or doing what's told? What do people think? Should she stand by her opinion? Simples.
    This upsets you because you don't like Fine Gael being spoken about.

Boss if you've no interest move on. You're making a joke of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Bertie had leadership skills. Quick on his toes and able to bull with the best of them. Leo hides when not putting his foot in it or being arrogant.

The only place Bertie led ireland was headlong into a recession and he then scarpered the minute there was a downturn. Bertie led FF at the expense of the country. It appalls me that he is attempting to rehabilitate his legacy in the media in 2019, the man is a parasite.

The only place Bertie led ireland was headlong into a recession and he then scarpered the minute there was a downturn. Bertie led FF at the expense of the country. It appalls me that he is attempting to rehabilitate his legacy in the media in 2019, the man is a parasite.

Completely agree. Just saying he was skilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

She doesn't like cyclists either. Leo must be happy enough if she gets the votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Road-Hog wrote: »
    https://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/statistics

I think the link above puts some perspective on the broadly held view that we are getting ‘over run’ by asylum seekers.......in 2018, 70% of those who applied for refugee status were rejected......a total of 683 were granted asylum status in 2018....... majority of those granted Asylum were surprise surprise from Syria.....

How many were granted leave to remain? Thats the important number.
    Theres 10000 in the system at the minute n i heard david Stanton on the radio today saying the mean average stay in direct provision is now 21 months.
    A few year ago it was 38 months, numbers seeking asylum have rocketed as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

enricoh wrote: »
    How many were granted leave to remain? Thats the important number.
    Theres 10000 in the system at the minute n i heard david Stanton on the radio today saying the mean average stay in direct provision is now 21 months.
    A few year ago it was 38 months, numbers seeking asylum have rocketed as a result

10,000 represents 0.2% of population.....getting totally over run with them alright..!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

10,000 represents 0.2% of population.....getting totally over run with them alright..!

10000 represents a lot of accommodation required to be provided by the state after their stint in dp is over. Family reunification on top of that- every little helps, eh.
    No numbers on leave to remain so?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

She is an opportunist. She picks a group that she thinks people hate and lumps on them. She raised her profile by being the go to person for an anti-cycling opinion on tv and radio. She was hardly off Newstalk, featured on primetime on RTE. She did her anti drink driving laws thing and then her next group to go against was the asylum seekers. She probably didn't expect to get as big a backlash as she did, but she is the only by-election candidate most people can name. And if she gets elected expect a load more of the same from wannabe politicans around the country next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Now right now at the min. So far. Ya get that right? Present day ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

enricoh wrote: »
    Maybe that iman got brainwashed by gemma o doherty! What would he know, the big racist!

The media are really going to town on her.
    Saw miriam o callaghan interrogating bruton last night on prime time about dropping her.
    Are the permanently outraged telling us that if we take in 1000s of syrian refugees no isis supporters will slip in.
    Also iirc pakistan is one of the most represented countries seeking asylum in Ireland, none of these will be isis sympathisers either? Sure thing!

I believe that Verona Murphy should have held her line on the issue,and asked Mr Varadakar to allow the Wexford electorate to decide if her views reflected their concerns.

Just as with Mick Wallace,or the Healy-Rae's,the Dublin centric on-message media,simply cannot stand by and allow the rustics to get away with questioning any aspects of our hastily accquired need to,rapidly and haphazardly,expand our long established Asylum system.

In the light of what we already know of militant Islamic regard for our decadent unbelieving way of life,could Verona Murphy's points not simply be regarded as potentially true ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=tW_7me1Nj7w&feature=emb_logo

Culturally,Ireland has striven to shake off it's Catholic dominated past,however we need to remind (and BE reminded) that strong Religious beliefs remain very strong motivators to inflict pain and suffering on non-believers everywhere.

It's open to everybody to simply ignore the signs.
    That freedom,after all,is a cornerstone of our Western values,however it should not mean that those who choose to point out the signs need to be reprogrammed in any way,shape or form.

Vote Verona No1 :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Murphy to top the poll, FG to do better than average in working class areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Danzy wrote: »

Not just working class areas. This topic is touching a nerve and no mainstream party representing it

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying but he was a skilled politician, who was hugely influential in setting up the Good Friday Agreement. Something which was unheard of and unimaginable until it happened*. Varadkar in comparison writes fan letters to Kylie and picks photogenic socks.

*And I say that as someone who has personally voted against him in elections.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Danzy wrote: »

Its like winning the tallest dwarf competition, such is the lack of a viable option on the ballot paper. Malcolm Byrne is probably her nearest challenger, but then again I think he exudes such an arrogance that he may put off voters. If he fails here, he'll probably run for President next (already ticked the local and European boxes).

As for some of the other jokers, how Cinnamon Blackmore could even run on this stage after getting less than 500 votes in the Gorey district is beyond me.

Johnny Mythen will probably poll well considering there'd be a lot of RA heads in his locality. I think George Lawlor may well be a upcoming replacement for Brendan Howlin next time around.

I think Verona is a nasty enough individual, but she may well garner plenty of support from those who deep down agree with her views and indeed those who are homophobic towards Byrne (which unfortunately is still a 'thing' in 2019).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

is_that_so wrote: »

What I've been reading is that they'll stick by her because of internal secret polling (Leo stated as much)

Charlie Flanagan has disassociated himself with her though, so I don't know how they'll square that circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What I've been reading is that they'll stick by her because of internal secret polling (Leo stated as much)

Charlie Flanagan has disassociated himself with her though, so I don't know how they'll square that circle.
    Polling may possibly favour her and he wants to win at least one bye-election but there are an awful lot of flaws to the candidate, none of which are complimentary to the party image.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Flanagan is only avoiding the attention of Mother Superior Bríd Smith and the other modern clergy screaming from the pulpit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

Dr Umar Al Quadri has warned the Govt on numerous occasions that ISIS cells or individuals are coming in through the Refugee system. He also stated that they should be deported.
    A number of years ago a whistleblower in an asylum centre in Limerick warned that there were many Islamic militants living in the centre. He was accused of racism and the Limerick Leader (who ran the story) was attacked until it turned out that the whistleblower was himself a Muslim former refugee.
    ISIS themselves have clearly stated that they are sending members to Europe through the asylum process.

She was entirely within her rights to say what she did.

Those who dismiss her might recall the lady involved with the ISIS cell which planned to attack Dublin
    She said "there were up to 150 Muslim extremists living in Ireland and that this country was viewed as a soft touch by the UK extremists"

"She said the Islamists "laugh" at Ireland because they see the country as being "backward and behind the times" in the authorities' assessment of the threat of radical Islam"

There's more of a chance of these mouth dribbler alt right types going on a knifing spree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I don’t think any of these people or any candidates should be deselected because of the opinions they hold now or previously.
    I’m all for the evidence of their opinions being spread far and wide across the media so that voters can see who they’re voting for but it’s ridiculous censoring of free speech in my opinion.
    I include MBailey in that.
    If people want to vote for her despite her clearly being a fraudster then let them.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t think any of these people or any candidates should be deselected because of the opinions they hold now or previously.
    I’m all for the evidence of their opinions being spread far and wide across the media so that voters can see who they’re voting for but it’s ridiculous censoring of free speech in my opinion.
    I include MBailey in that.
    If people want to vote for her despite her clearly being a fraudster then let them.

She should stand by her views so. Why cod the electorate? We want to know what we're getting.
    The idea is that a party has a stance on various issues and each member is on board. She should run as an indie if she disagrees with the party, unless FG are going back to their roots ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Murphy spent the last year on Eamonn Dunphys podcast lobbying about truckers and the transport industry. As her was her role so she should do just that and put forward their case.

Never once in that year did she talk about better pay and conditions to resolve driver recruitment and retention. Her main concern was drivers would leave the industry to labour on construction sites or do landscaping or such work. She owns a transport company and speaks for the industry but if there are not enough drivers its everybody's fault but their own.

Every podcast was the same speil

No friend of the worker at all but then she picked the right party for that

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

STB. wrote: »
    Wouldn't think so. Would say Lawlor will. And Brendan might not be too happy as he may not be ready to step down just yet.

Nah Malcolm Byrne will top the poll

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Verona Murphy is to be de-selected as a FG candidate.

Where do they get them...

Verona Murphy is to be de-selected as a FG candidate.

Where do they get them...

The best people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hopefully she will run as an independent and I'll have someone to vote for now that Mick Wallace has gone to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Hopefully she will run as an independent and I'll have someone to vote for now that Mick Wallace has gone to Europe.

Dunno how Mick Wallace hasn't gone bankrupt yet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

She was just on Alan Corcoran on South East Radio and explained everything very well.

The main points:
    - Through her role with the hauliers she has sat in meetings with Interpol regarding the immigration issue(s) and that's her reference point
    - She never meant to tar the whole immigrant community and used a poor choice of words which she apologised for
    - FG imposed a media ban on her which would not allow her to explain the above
    - FG have a rural disconnect that goes as far as not allowing the Taoiseach speak to local media outlets when he is 'down the country'.

Wouldn't comfirm if she'd stand as an Independent, I'd be shocked if she doesn't as all of the comments sent in were positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Prediction ---- Should she decide to run ---- She will top the poll .

Advertisement