Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Organised Raid by up to 100 Youths in Cork City Centr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000. We do NOT want to go down the route of the American criminal justice system. For some reason when people see the admittedly oft crappy way the Irish justice system seems to deal with criminality(and that's being kind), they then look to one of the crappier criminal justice systems in the world as an answer. I can understand some frustration, but jesus...

+1000 Part deux.

:D

But at some stage we have to take career criminals out of society for good.

As I said earlier , a number of chances to turn themselves around with proper help and then if they don’t improve we increase their time inside, we simply can’t have people with 100s of convictions allowed back into society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Oh that is a large part of it indeed, but it's not as if east Asians get a free ride either. In the US for an example Chinese "coolies" were treated little better than slaves when the "West was won" and after, never mind Hollywood's decades long portrayal of them as a group(inscrutable and double dealing Charlie Chans was the better of it), or how they were regarded after Pearl Harbor. Yet Asian Americans are more likely than any other group to be at the top of the education and economic leagues and at the bottom of the social problems and criminality leagues.

It all has to do with parenting and role models.
    Africans tend to have large families and as I know through going to youth football, not a lot of their parents go or bring their kids training ever . You watch any rap videos and it's all, drugs women , flash jewellery , wads of money , it looks glamorous to young lads and the easiest way to achieve it is by selling drugs . It happens everywhere now where people of African origin go. It's a culture thing. They all wanna be next Tupac or Snoop dog. The government are at fault in it too , allowing it to happen . Taking in people who came here just to ride the system . The more kids you have the more money you get, sure what could go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Yet Asian Americans are more likely than any other group to be at the top of the education and economic leagues and at the bottom of the social problems and criminality leagues.

Blows apart the "white privilege" nonsense that gets trotted out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Crazy how underreported this has been and unfortunately a good bit of it could be from fear of being considered racist.

Criminals are criminals imo regardless of the colour of their skin, religion or gender. We have plenty homegrown scum. Up

I wish they were baton charged but then every blessing heart would be giving out about the guards.

Fine Gael have really turned into a bunch of pansies when it comes to law and order. Once upon a time this was a party that gave us Richard Mulcahy, Eoin O'Duffy and Patrick Concrete Cooney. Those lads would not only order a crackdown they would probably pick up a rifle or baton themselves.

I'd settle with Malcolm McDowell back as minister for justice, wouldn't mind but I hated the man when I was younger. Perspectives change when your paying taxes and getting nothing in return.

🙈🙉🙊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

I'd settle with Malcolm McDowell back as minister for justice, wouldn't mind but I hated the man when I was younger. Perspectives change when your paying taxes and getting nothing in return.

He was a useless minster for justice he allowed illegal immigrants to come back to Ireland after they were deported.

We should have a zero tolerance approach to illegal immigration.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/deported-nigerian-student-arrives-back-in-dublin-1.1175535

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

strandroad wrote: »
    Why is everyone going on about black gangs? Pictures of the gathering were posted on social media by bystanders, they were white, or mostly white anyway.

Any link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I've never been in Cork but the darkest day in Ulster's history happened there in 1603, some of my relatives probably saw action in Kinsale given that I have 3 lines of O'neill ancestry, most likely more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Fairly unsettling how the story hasn't even been covered by RTE (NATIONAL BROADCASTER TM).
    I know the Dublin media don't really give a sh1te about Cork, but it's a very newsworthy story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I'd say our native drugs gangs would want to start conducting some SWOT analysis soon.
    Soak up that cultural enrichment...

I’m not sure if ultra-violence is the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It all has to do with parenting and role models.
    Africans tend to have large families and as I know through going to youth football, not a lot of their parents go or bring their kids training ever . You watch any rap videos and it's all, drugs women , flash jewellery , wads of money , it looks glamorous to young lads and the easiest way to achieve it is by selling drugs . It happens everywhere now where people of African origin go. It's a culture thing. They all wanna be next Tupac or Snoop dog. The government are at fault in it too , allowing it to happen . Taking in people who came here just to ride the system . The more kids you have the more money you get, sure what could go wrong.

It's all that rap music they listen to Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Giuliani style policing in city centers. New York was a serious kip in the early 1980’s. They basically put a cop on every block so if there was an incident then a cop was rarely more than a minute a way. It made New York safer and ultimately a place that people wanted to visit and live in.

I wouldn’t put an animal in Cork.

Cork is not perfect i admit.But unlike Dublin, it doesn't have a serious gangland crime problem.Unlike in Dublin, there thankfully isn't daily gangland shootings etc.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Melbourne seems to be having similar issues.There has been a massive spike in car jackings, and violent home invasions over there.Smash and grab raids on stores, similar to what nearly happened in Cork, are also pretty frequent.The vast majority of these crimes, seem to have been committed by people of a certain demographic and background.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Are there any photos of them? Everyone on the thread is saying they're black but I haven't seen photos. Btw I'm not denying that they might be but I haven't seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Funny how it is always black African gangs causing chaos in groups of 40-100, never, say, Chinese or polish gangs.

It's almost as it people in groups behave differently depending on whether they descended from the 3rd world or not. Of course I would never dare to say that. We must believe in the utopian vision that we will one day be like a Benetton advert.

It will be, eventually.
    There was a time male and females didn't mix on equal levels.
    There was a time when homosexuals couldn't express themselves in the same way heterosexuals could.
    There was time when black and white people didn't mix on equal levels.
    Integration will continue as the world continues to see the overall benefits of it.
    Yourself and a few more will continue to claim it will never work. Your number will get smaller and eventually it will be as it was with the above groups.
    It might not happen in your life time, or in mine, but it will eventually, and what are our lifetimes really only a flash on the overall timeline of the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Listen lads, the Irish have emigrated all round the world in their droves over the centuries and committed crime where ever they went, its only fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

A bit odd that RTÉ haven't reported it. I wonder if this was done to try to limit a repeat of this from happening again. Which sadly isn't going to work, as we live in the internet age. Things like FB, Twitter, etc can and do spread news faster than the more traditional news media.

Glad nothing serious happened and no one was hurt. Hopefully it will make those with authority reassess how crime prevention is approached. Personally, I'd rather crime be stopped before it happens and not afterwards. It is a complex beasts, that isn't as easy as some on here are saying, nor is it linked to ethnicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Clearly we don't. We have a seriously uneducated population problem which is probably reliant on the drive to get everyone to third-level academic education, when we should be applying more of the German model and applying focus to those who are not showing academic aptitude, transitioning them into skills-based training.

I trained as a lawyer in Ireland, I worked as a barrister in Ireland, I'm currently in Ireland (well not RIGHT now this minute, but I'm heading back Monday from the UK) - our laws are inadequate and, agreed, unenforced.

YUP! Unpopular opinion alert: we need to build a new, state-of-the-art and massive prison somewhere and turn Mountjoy into a museum or something.

But there's a systemic reason for it is what I'm saying. You can't just make this claim and then say "but we don't know why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " - clearly it's a combination of a lot of factors. I just don't think jailing every young offender is the solution and I can see sorta first-hand how it isn't working.

We do not have a seriously uneducated population. That is hyperbole. Plus we have schools where there is plenty of skills based training. All my children went on to University but also all of them, girl included, did wood working and metal working to Leaving Cert level. Those classes and teachers were particularly good and the projects they produced out of them were fantastic. Skills bases training and apprenticeship is there for anyone who wants it.

I have a masters in Law. We have adequate laws - if enforced. The laws we have now function to keep most people on the straight and narrow and punish where appropriate - if enforced. More legislation or statute tweaking is a lazy fallback. That wont change anything.

We agree on lack of enforcenent.

You seem on the one hand to argue against US style lock em up policies - which I agree are terrible - and on the other to argue for a state of the art "massive" prison. This seems inconsistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Fairly unsettling how the story hasn't even been covered by RTE (NATIONAL BROADCASTER TM).
    I know the Dublin media don't really give a sh1te about Cork, but it's a very newsworthy story.
    RTE has shown repeatedly its bias on stories like this and the non-reporting of this event is just another example. They completely lack integrity, and that's why many, including myself, do not watch their news or current affairs programs anymore. TV3 (Virgin Media) carried it the following day on their news programs.
    A bit odd that RTÉ haven't reported it. I wonder if this was done to try to limit a repeat of this from happening again.
    I can assure you that this is not the reason why RTE have not reported why armed Gardai and the riot squad were on the streets of Cork where a gang of over 100 had gathered to rob and steal from shops in the city centre. As you imagine, this gang of over 100 caused a lot of distress to the people who were in the area at the time and as reported on this thread, families were intimidated by the gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Mules wrote: »
    Are there any photos of them? Everyone on the thread is saying they're black but I haven't seen photos. Btw I'm not denying that they might be but I haven't seen them.
    It was only a matter of time before posters came on here claiming that white participants were cropped out. There were undoubtedly white gansta wannabees on the street on Friday night, but this was a predominately black gang.
    This "cropping" conspiracy by some on here was to be expected.

Regarding impartiality in reporting, since the topic did come up; I wonder did the Irish Independent crop out the whites when they showed the picture of one of the African rapists who were convicted during the week of raping a young female student in Donegal?

Here is the picture that RTE had on their report of that incident:

000cb7e0-800.jpg

And here is the picture that the Independent used for that same incident:

BOAKYE%20OSEI%203%202.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Saw Brendan Howlin on the news last night at the Labour Party conference, saying we should learn from the mistakes of other nations on the immigration issue.

Unfortunately, he then went on to say that the appearance of toxic hate speech within Irish politics was the mistake we should not import.

Clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Gardaí were definitely more noticeable on the streets of Cork yesterday afternoon which wouldn't be difficult as I rarely see any at all.
    No doubt normal levels will resume in a day or two. I did see one Garda in the middle of load of tweens queueing for hot chocolate in a cafe on French Church Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I thought diversity was supposed to be good? That it is our strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

According to the leftie, pc brigade who live on a different planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It can be if immigration is handled competently.

🙈🙉🙊

I see a well respected Disabilty Activist was subject to racist abuse by a youth trying to rob around him in the city.

But she is White so does not really matter....

Mules wrote: »

There is a few in no way throwing them up here. PM if want. None show the whole 100 just 10-15 in 2 separate Photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Del.Monte wrote: »
    According to the leftie, pc brigade who live on a different planet.

What is the name of this planet? I was under the impression that we all live on Earth. Clearly I was wrong, and I've been living on a different planet my whole life.

Diversity is a great thing, monocultures don't occur in nature. Heck, humanity has always been culturally diverse, because people are natural explorers and traders, which brings diverse people together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

What is the name of this planet? I was under the impression that we all live on Earth. Clearly I was wrong, and I've been living on a different planet my whole life.

Diversity is a great thing, monocultures don't occur in nature. Heck, humanity has always been culturally diverse, because people are natural explorers and traders, which brings diverse people together.

Can you expand on this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It can be if immigration is handled competently.
    Ah yes, IF. It never has been, or if it has, then it has failed.
    It will be, eventually.
    There was a time male and females didn't mix on equal levels.
    There was a time when homosexuals couldn't express themselves in the same way heterosexuals could.
    There was time when black and white people didn't mix on equal levels.
    Integration will continue as the world continues to see the overall benefits of it.
    Yourself and a few more will continue to claim it will never work. Your number will get smaller and eventually it will be as it was with the above groups.
    It might not happen in your life time, or in mine, but it will eventually, and what are our lifetimes really only a flash on the overall timeline of the human race.
    Nope. Now it's an all too common belief, but you seem to believe in an inevitable progressive trajectory in human culture, but that's not how it works(you're also being eurocentric about it).

If you look at that list of "there was a time", with the general exception of men and women mixing as equals(though some tribal societies did and do) the rest have happened before and in a few places and guess what? It didn't last for very long. The "overall timeline of the human race" has consistently shown that multiculturalism in the current modern western sense didn't work and cultural differences have been and continue to be one of the main causes of human conflict.

Where multicultural societies did exist and work, they were always under extremely strong and more, self confident, even "right wing" cultural regimes. EG ancient Rome, China and the first few centuries of the Caliphate. Cultures that were open to new ideas and people, but in a limited and reactionary way if those ideas and people in any way threatened the main culture's ideology or power base. Modern European culture is anything but self confident. It's a near constant questioning of European values among many and most in power. Even typing "European values" as something to be valued, or god forbid worse, to be proud of and want to defend will get enough people twitching.

History has also shown time and time again that the culture that is most self confident and nearly always the more overtly militant is the culture that "wins" in the end. It's not the "ah we're not so sure" pacifist cultures holding hands singing Kumbaya.
    Heck, humanity has always been culturally diverse, because people are natural explorers and traders, which brings diverse people together.
    Actually not so much. "Diversity" was more driven by conflict, war and colonisation, trade and exploration came along on the back of that. Even so, if you look at the genetics of the Old World, the vast majority of people's genes can be placed geographically "local" and where later genes are found it's nearly always down to a replacement of the original peoples.

Put it another even more obvious way, if humanity were so into "diversity" and mixing through the ages how come today at least 80,000 years after modern humans left East Africa as a fairly homogeneous group do we have such diverse phenotypes and genotypes in humans today? Surely we'd all look much more similar, especially in such a short space of time in evolutionary terms?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement