Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

dedaw wrote: »
    Same with Bang. Ordered a redmi 9 from their Spanish outlet on the 17th. Last track was Carvin on the 23rd, nothing since. No pressie for her indoors in the morning!
    Gulp!!

Yikes! :eek:
    Best of luck, show her the tracking info :D
    GBX wrote: »
    There's been enough feedback on eglobal and there slowness to dispatch orders. It's how they operate: order placed them anything up to 4-6 weeks for dispatch and generally delivery then within a few days. If anyone wants something quickly it's the last place I'd order - I'd spend more elsewhere but if there's no time restriction and you want to save go ahead with them. They have some good deals at times. All depends on how bad something is required.

No, I'm aware and I only blame myself!
    I ordered something back in April, took 29 days to deliver too.
    I just can't say no to a good bargain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Will the Huawei P Smart above get Google Play updates?
    I would think so yes. It was mainly the US that weren't getting them, but that has since been reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cronley

Has anybody any views on these Redmi phone prices from the Xiaomi Dublin shop. https://www.xiaomi.ie/smart-phones/
    Is it quicker and less hassle than foreign warehouses.
    Is there custom tariff and VAT if buy from Hong Kong site - better colour choice from HK
    If buy from Bangood Spain - is there any risk the Global version will not work in Ireland.
    How easy is it for a novice like me to transfer my contacts, Apps, text messages etc from my Android Motorola Moto G 6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

cronley wrote: »
    Has anybody any views on these Redmi phone prices from the Xiaomi Dublin shop. https://www.xiaomi.ie/smart-phones/
    Is it quicker and less hassle than foreign warehouses.
    Is there custom tariff and VAT if buy from Hong Kong site - better colour choice from HK
    If buy from Bangood Spain - is there any risk the Global version will not work in Ireland.
    How easy is it for a novice like me to transfer my contacts, Apps, text messages etc from my Android Motorola Moto G 6 years old.

That's not an official Xiaomi shop. They just have the Xiaomi.ie web domain and the office address is listed as Dublin. It's possible they ship via HK/China. But you may not incur any other charges.
    If a phone is global, it would work without any issues. What phone are you looking at?
    With regard restoring your data, check your phone is backing up to Google.

contacts.google.com
    messages.google.com
    photos.google.com

All the recent stuff on your phone should be there if its working ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Think ive settled on the Redmi Note 8 pro but looking to get the 128gb version shipped from europe for under €200

any ideas?

Sorry for quoting my own post, but just looking for follow up on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why there are 2 versions of what looks like same phone for different prices on Banggood

https://www.banggood.com/search/redmi-note-8-pro128gb.html
    Different amounts of Ram and Storage
    4GB/64GB, 6GB/64GB, 6GB/128GB etc.

Suckit wrote: »
    Different amounts of Ram and Storage
    4GB/64GB, 6GB/64GB, 6GB/128GB etc.

Seems the 6GB/128GB model is €203 (including insurance and shipping), seems like a good deal.

3 options in terms of "shipped from"

HK, ES and CZ

Is CZ czech republic? What would be difference I wonder in choosing this in terms of price/delivery etc..

I've chosen Spain and it says delivery to Ireland in 3-5 business days. Is this reliable?

Yes, usually reliable enough assuming there aren't any further shipping restrictions or delays.
    Czech Republic is just another EU warehouse option that might suit some countries better than Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Can anyone tell me which Chinese phone has the best camera for portraits etc.? Although I adore the piece of kit that is the Realme X2 Pro, the camera when taking pictures can make people out orange-y or unnatural and doesn't show people in the best light/filter compared to say, an iPhone.

Has anyone experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭sioda

Can anyone tell me which Chinese phone has the best camera for portraits etc.? Although I adore the piece of kit that is the Realme X2 Pro, the camera when taking pictures can make people out orange-y or unnatural and doesn't show people in the best light/filter compared to say, an iPhone.

Has anyone experienced this?

Have you changed the camera software. Pics on my x2 are excellent tbh but I use gcam software rather than the stock one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

sioda wrote: »
    Have you changed the camera software. Pics on my x2 are excellent tbh but I use gcam software rather than the stock one
    Have been just using the stock. I'll look that up now. Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

The Redmi 9Pro. Aside from the IPS Screen, would this be worthwhile option, given it's half the price than the Poco F2 Pro
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...2BBX3zf_hjD9es

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

After much waiting I think I might have found the phone that could make me upgrade from my poco F1.

The Xiaomi 10T Pro looks like a decent upgrade.

At approx 600 is a bit steep but I'd get about 100 back off selling the F1

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

So the mi max 3 bit the dust today.

Looking for something smaller in the upper mid range 300 odd or so quid.

Whats good oh sage and knowledgeable folk of boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Lads, was going to get my young lad the Poco X3 for Christmas but am after thinking the phone is probably too big for his hands.. anything smaller with similar spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NOC3185

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a slightly smaller size phone around the €200 to €250 mark, in the region of 145mm to 155mm in height. Have looked at all the ones recommended over the past while, Redmi Note 8 and Note 9 series, Realme 6, Poco X3 etc. but all are quite large 'phaphlet' size phones over 160mm plus in height. Something around the Huawei P30 lite size would be perfect. Would that be a good option or is there anything with better specs available? Thanks.

keano25 wrote: »
    Lads, was going to get my young lad the Poco X3 for Christmas but am after thinking the phone is probably too big for his hands.. anything smaller with similar spec?
    NOC3185 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a slightly smaller size phone around the €200 to €250 mark, in the region of 145mm to 155mm in height. Have looked at all the ones recommended over the past while, Redmi Note 8 and Note 9 series, Realme 6, Poco X3 etc. but all are quite large 'phaphlet' size phones over 160mm plus in height. Something around the Huawei P30 lite size would be perfect. Would that be a good option or is there anything with better specs available? Thanks.

I think the Pixel 3A can still be bought for a decent price I haven't been following the thread though - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058028306
    https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/pixel%203A

Or maybe the Mi 9SE if you can find it, I haven't looked too hard. It is around €250 and both have a screen suitable for smaller hands.
    I would probably go for the Pixel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

My Redmi 9 just arrived - looks good. Any advice on best (easiest and safest... don't want anything to stop working!) way to remove all MIUI bloatware from somebody with experience? Thanks

Is it the 9S?
    I put mine on the xiaomi.eu rom as soon as I could!
    Once you register to allow yourself to unlock the bootloader, you've to wait 168 hours (1 week) for it to work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Is it the 9S?
    I put mine on the xiaomi.eu rom as soon as I could!
    Once you register to allow yourself to unlock the bootloader, you've to wait 168 hours (1 week) for it to work :D

No, it's the Redmi 9 Global version from banggood: https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-9-Global-Version-NFC-6_53-inch-Quad-Rear-Camera-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-5020mAh-Helio-G80-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1692835.html?rmmds=search&ID=6290310&cur_warehouse=ES

Was hoping I didn't need to change roms. Is there an easier way? Or are there other benefits to doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Have Redmi note 8 pro and been onto Vodafone to activate wi fi calling on this as doesn't show up as option when go into wi fi settings. After numerous calls and being sent around the houses by their technical support I was told that they only allow wi fi calling on recognised I phone samsung and some huawei devices. Anyone have experience of this of being unable to use wi fi calling on some of android phones mentioned on this thread.

wilsixon wrote: »
    No, it's the Redmi 9 Global version from banggood: https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-9-Global-Version-NFC-6_53-inch-Quad-Rear-Camera-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-5020mAh-Helio-G80-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1692835.html?rmmds=search&ID=6290310&cur_warehouse=ES

Was hoping I didn't need to change roms. Is there an easier way? Or are there other benefits to doing that?

You know, I'm not really sure if I'm honest.
    I found the ROM site and it listed all the improvements they make, along with the bloatware they remove and I was sold.
    I didn't really look much more into it than that :)

wilsixon wrote: »
    My Redmi 9 just arrived - looks good. Any advice on best (easiest and safest... don't want anything to stop working!) way to remove all MIUI bloatware from somebody with experience? Thanks
    There are a few ways. (I think there is an actual Mi bloatware remover tool too).

https://fossbytes.com/miui-hidden-settings-for-xiaomi-remove-bloatware/

https://selivan.github.io/2020/02/25/removing-bloatware-from-xiaomi-miui-android.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Anyone seen any cheap prices on a Mi Band 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is it only Huawei of the Chinese phone manufacturers who are banned from Play Services? It seems that there are workarounds you can do to get them on a Huawei phone, but Google and Huawei seem to patch these as they release updates, not sure I can live without Google Services, and not sure the hassle of trying to bypass the prevention techniques is worthwhile given they patch so regularly. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is it only Huawei of the Chinese phone manufacturers who are banned from Play Services? It seems that there are workarounds you can do to get them on a Huawei phone, but Google and Huawei seem to patch these as they release updates, not sure I can live without Google Services, and not sure the hassle of trying to bypass the prevention techniques is worthwhile given they patch so regularly. Thoughts?

Could you install Lineage OS on the phone instead?

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Auroraoss.com will help with most.

F-Droid / Fossdroid have some great alternative apps too, which are likely to be safer.

Advertisement