Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

skangers and pedestrian crossings

2»

Comments

loobylou wrote: »
    That's a zebra crossing. A pelican crossing is the one where you press the button if you wish to cross. Name comes from PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled.

There ya are now, I always thought pelican crossings had orange flashy lights, and zebra crossings didn't!

You learn something new!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There ya are now, I always thought pelican crossings had orange flashy lights, and zebra crossings didn't!

You learn something new!

How often?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i have seen this happen at dame street before with a dublin bus, also people drive way to fast in the city, its 30 kph not 80:mad:

the main problem junctions should have cameras to catch light skippers. In the USA most have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

i have seen this happen at dame street before with a dublin bus, also people drive way to fast in the city, its 30 kph not 80:mad:

Happens right out the front of my office too - the crossing from the Brewdock over to the IFSC - people are driving through that on a green man regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

jester77 wrote: »
    Ah, I see the little pervy green guys are back in Ireland!

Maybe the skangers are colour blind and can't distinguish between green and red, this could also explain their fashion sense.
    That could explain the orange fake tan and foundation too then:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Vomit wrote: »
    Sounds plausible..but once I was asked from a distance, from behind a big gate... maybe they just always have somewhere to be.

Making sure they are not late for the Jeremy Kyle show with all it's lifestyle tips

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Pedestrian crossings are a funny thing. The tourists seem to abide by the traffic signals even if the crossing is clear, while all the Irish seem to scatter like wannabe Manhattanites, myself included. However I have seen the phenomenon of peopling walking across the road when a car is fast approaching, putting their fate into the hands of an automobile, risky business or a death wish.
    Jaywalking is a misdemeanour in some parts of the USA, particularly in Manhattan: you're likely to get pulled up and ticketed if you're caught. I did it a couple of times there before I remembered (oops), but I found that the lights were more pedestrian-friendly, so you don't wait as long.

My impression from watching skangers do it here is that they have a deluded sense of superiority. "I don't have to wait, cars are the enemy, i'm more important, cars can stop for me." In their self-centred worldview, they don't get that it's more efficient overall to obey the lights (assuming the system is intelligently-designed). I don't own the city centre, I share it with cars too, and they are not the enemy. (Well, they're not usually the enemy.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Guessing you haven't been near Dublin 1 lately.

Depends whether yore ma was a drug addict before or after you were born.

Yeah, a social welfare card.

Not restricted to D1 by any stretch, the fcukers are all over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Interestingly, the rules of the road state that pedestrians have priority over all other traffic once a pedestrian walks out onto the road. You have a legal obligation to stop. Not many other countries have that law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

EyeSight wrote: »
    at the extremely busy pedestrian crossings at the junction of Dame st and Georges street, it's the other way around. I walk there twice a day and 90% of the time cars(and buses) will drive through a red light when the pedestrian light is green.

Cyclists are 10 times worse at that junction

*sound of can of worms being opened*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

Some skanger jokes here:

- What do you call a skanger in a box?
    - Innit

- What do you call a skanger in a suit?
    - The accused

- What do you call a skanger in space?
    - Well out

- What do you call a skanger in a box with a lock on it?
    - Safe

- What do you call a skanger in a filing cabinet?
    - Sorted

- What do you call a skanger in a bee-hive?
    - Buzzin'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RahenyD5 wrote: »
    Some skanger jokes here:

- What do you call a skanger in a box?
    - Innit

- What do you call a skanger in a suit?
    - The accused

- What do you call a skanger in space?
    - Well out

- What do you call a skanger in a box with a lock on it?
    - Safe

- What do you call a skanger in a filing cabinet?
    - Sorted

- What do you call a skanger in a bee-hive?
    - Buzzin'

If you don't have a day job seek one immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

bnt wrote: »
    Jaywalking is a misdemeanour in some parts of the USA, particularly in Manhattan: you're likely to get pulled up and ticketed if you're caught. I did it a couple of times there before I remembered (oops), but I found that the lights were more pedestrian-friendly, so you don't wait as long.

My impression from watching skangers do it here is that they have a deluded sense of superiority. "I don't have to wait, cars are the enemy, i'm more important, cars can stop for me." In their self-centred worldview, they don't get that it's more efficient overall to obey the lights (assuming the system is intelligently-designed). I don't own the city centre, I share it with cars too, and they are not the enemy. (Well, they're not usually the enemy.)

IME I did it loads in Manhattan and had no problems. Did it when there were cops at the same crossing before and they didn't pull me up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Interestingly, the rules of the road state that pedestrians have priority over all other traffic once a pedestrian walks out onto the road. You have a legal obligation to stop. Not many other countries have that law.

So if I'm doing 80 and a pedestrian steps out on to the road I'm supposed to come to a grinding halt? Nonsense. That pedestrian better have the common sense to **** off the road quickly in that case.

Advertisement