Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garlic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I absolutely detest garlic!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

Garlic is great !

Though the wife insists I only eat it if she is eating it too or no smoochies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Garlic is lovely, medicinal too. Lazy copy and paste:
    Garlic has many healing properties, but the most research has been done on its potential to help reduce heart disease. Garlic has been intensively studied, and numerous large studies have shown that taking supplements that mimic fresh garlic can significantly lower LDL cholesterol levels without hurting beneficial HDL cholesterol levels. Garlic appears to act by blocking the liver from making too much LDL cholesterol.

There is also some evidence that garlic supplements can mildly lower blood pressure by dilating or expanding blood vessels. And garlic helps prevent blood clots -- and therefore reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke -- by decreasing the stickiness of platelets, which are tiny disk-shaped bodies in the blood that are necessary for blood clotting. When platelets are too sticky, they form clumps that can adhere to artery walls and contribute to clogged arteries.

Garlic has also been shown to reduce pain and other symptoms in people with rheumatoid arthritis. And it reduces the size of some cancerous tumors and helps prevent some cancers, particularly those in the intestines. However, the research on this is not nearly as far advanced as that for garlic and heart disease, so do not use garlic supplements without consulting with a natural health care professional.

One of the oldest uses of garlic, however, is as an antibiotic. Garlic kills a range of microbes, including viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites, and can be effective against such conditions as athlete's foot, thrush (a fungal infection of the mouth), viral diarrhea, and the ulcer-causing bacteria Helicobacter pylori. Only fresh garlic or supplements that mimic it have these effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

I love garlic and usually double up any quantities needed in recipes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I'd put garlic in almost every recipe - sure, I stink afterwards but you just can't beat the flavour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Garlic lightly toasted in olive oil and then poured over spaghetti. Yum yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Anyone know where you can buy good garlic - that stuff from China that's in the supermarkets is crap? I love garlic and put it in most things I cook but I'd like to be able to buy good strong garlic.
    I tried growing it once. My brother-in-law, who's green fingered said it was difficult - he was right. They didn't grow at all, maybe I'll try again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

e_e wrote: »
    Garlic lightly toasted in olive oil and then poured over spaghetti. Yum yum yum.

Try that with a couple of chopped up chilli's and you're in for a real treat! Leave the seeds in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Hahahaha! You're on the ball there boyo! Tax dodging stinks!

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-given-six-year-sentence-for-garlic-tax-scam-379395-Mar2012/

Not the smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

A Garlic Cheese Chips be nice now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

kneemos wrote: »
    People pretend to like it because it sounds sophisticated,when actually it's a manky horrible smelling substance.
    Not suitable for Iris.

Totally Agree:

Some people who say "I love Garlic" about their meals with Garlic in it, are the very same people that say "You can't even Taste the Garlic in it" with a happy voice.

If you love it so much and don't want to taste it why put it in???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Garlic is great it can elevate a simple bit of crusty bread to a delicious level. Great if you and all who you come in contact with have consumed it too - otherwise the most detesable reek to get off someone, especially firsr thing.

Garlic doesn't smell as tasty once its been consumed I guess.

Advertisement