Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative remedies / treatments you use that other people ridicule

• 26-02-2014 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

There are countless discussions on Boards completely ridiculing (rightly or wrongly) alternative treatments, alternative medicines, unconventional solutions to physical/mental ailments.

Among all of that ridicule, it can be very hard to actually admit that you engage in any of it yourself, for fear of being ganged-up on and ridiculed.

Enter.... this thread. Are there any alternative remedies of any kind that your GP (and the Boards masses) would ridicule, but, for whatever personal reason, you actually swear by? e.g. homeopathy, etc...

Preferably give your reasons for doing so.

I will happily pander to the "you first" brigade, when that starts. But for the moment I can't be arsed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Flat 7up cures everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Bonjela cures cancer and aids.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I cures head-colds with a gallon of porter and about a pound of beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Bonjela cures cancer and aids.

Bonjela doesn't even help mouth ulcers. I have no idea how that product is still on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

mauzo! wrote: »
    Flat 7up cures everything.

Homeopathy is bullsh*t, but this is the truth :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

rubbing raw bacon on a wart and burying it in the garden on a full moon cures it apparently... Guessing some kind of placebo affect though tbh. You know 2 sugar pills are better than 1 and 1 sugar injection is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I've tried a few alternative treatments from "Rescue Remedy" to acupuncture, Chinese herbs etc. and approached them with an open mind. For the most part, I've found that they are absolutely ineffective. Reiki massage probably ranks as the #1 most useless treatment, though in fairness I fell asleep during the massage so I did benefit from 30 minutes of a snooze during the day.

I do enjoy things like Yoga and massage as a way of enhancing my general well-being, but a long walk can be just as beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

You know 2 sugar pills are better than 1 and 1 sugar injection is even better.

Mary Poppins, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I realise this isn't in the spirit of the thread (nor would it be considered an "alternative" treatment) but I reckon a lot of the benefits people get from antidepressants are merely a placebo effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I realise this isn't in the spirit of the thread (nor would it be considered an "alternative" treatment) but I reckon a lot of the benefits people get from antidepressants are merely a placebo effect.

Anti-depressants are an example of the total opposite to what this thread is about.

But anyway we've no way of proving that one way or the other right now.

But what I will say is that if you've ever experienced the side-effects of trying to come off said anti-depressants, you'll know that they are most definitely having an effect on your body.

But anyway, back on topic...

(Ugh I've just contributed to de-railing my own thread. Here comes the train crash!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

whirlpool wrote: »
    But what I will say is that if you've ever experienced the side-effects of trying to come off said anti-depressants, you'll know that they are most definitely having an effect on your body.

Oh, I know that they have an effect on your body. That's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

mod

Medical advice be it western, eastern, made up, science based or whatever is not allowed on boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement