Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

• 24-03-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Upcoming fights I'll be paying attention to:

March 30
    Golovkin vs Ishida
    Edwin Rodriguez vs Maderna
    Bellew vs Chilemba
    Rios vs Alvarado

April 6
    Roman Martinez vs Magdaleno

April 13
    Donaire vs Rigondeaux

April 20
    Terrazas vs Mijares
    Caballero vs Castellanos
    Nathan Cleverly vs Krasniqi
    Chisora vs Pala
    Fury vs Cunningham
    Trout vs Alvarez

April 27
    Abregu vs Decarie
    Martinez vs Murray
    Khan vs Julio Diaz
    Arreola vs Stiverne
    Garcia vs Judah
    Quillin vs Guererro
    Daniel Jacobs vs Billy Lyell

April 28
    Lucas Browne vs James Toney

May 4
    Klitschko vs Pianeta
    Mayweather vs Guerrero
    Ponce de Leon vs Mares

May 11
    Huck vs Olafabi

Not the best line up I've ever seen but not the worst line up either. April 13, 20, 27 and May 4 are looking excellent!

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

I don't care I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks. Starting with the Rios Alvarado fight.Their first fight upstaged Donaire Nishioka main event.

Here's a link to their first fight
    http://sosoboxing.com/boxing-video-watch-online/brandon-rios-vs-mike-alvarado/

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Yup. Really looking forward to Mayweather v Guerrero. I think Guerrero may have what it takes to trouble him. Also do people actually believe Mayweather can stay undefeated for the next 30 months as per the Showtime deal he signed to?

Haroon Khan's pro debut should be interesting. Hopefully Amir will beat Diaz to rematch with Garcia.

Now when it comes to Garcia v Judah, I honestly want Garcia to win but at the same time would like to see Zab claim victory just to hear some of Angel Garcia's "truth".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

clubwelly wrote: »
    I don't care I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks. Starting with the Rios Alvarado fight.Their first fight upstaged Donaire Nishioka main event.

Here's a link to their first fight
    http://sosoboxing.com/boxing-video-watch-online/brandon-rios-vs-mike-alvarado/

Yeah, that was great. Brutal war. Rios was in big trouble. If he keeps fighting the way he does his career won't last long.
    ozzz wrote: »
    Yup. Really looking forward to Mayweather v Guerrero. I think Guerrero may have what it takes to trouble him. Also do people actually believe Mayweather can stay undefeated for the next 30 months as per the Showtime deal he signed to?

Haroon Khan's pro debut should be interesting. Hopefully Amir will beat Diaz to rematch with Garcia.

Now when it comes to Garcia v Judah, I honestly want Garcia to win but at the same time would like to see Zab claim victory just to hear some of Angel Garcia's "truth".

Garcia should beat Judah who has been finished for years and was never really top level. That said, Garcia is limited and will be beaten soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Garcia 'should' but you never know, especially in a sport like boxing. Judah does pack a heavy left hand. Plus, Garcia is slow, flat- footed and tends to swing wildly at times.

Having said that, I'll still be going for Garcia just so Khan can get back in to the ring with him.

ozzz wrote: »
    Garcia 'should' but you never know, especially in a sport like boxing. Judah does pack a heavy left hand. Plus, Garcia is slow, flat- footed and tends to swing wildly at times.

Having said that, I'll still be going for Garcia just so Khan can get back in to the ring with him.

True. Though 5 years ago I would have given Judah a better shot. Judah has lost hand speed, footspeed, reflexes are diminished and as always he will probably fade down the stretch. Looking forward to it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Some really good fights there.

One week after all this is the one I'm probably most looking forward to - Matthysse v Peterson.

Harrison vs Wilder April 27

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

From now until the end of November:

Saturday, Nov 9th

Nonito Donaire vs Vic Darchinyan
    Mikey Garcia vs Rocky Martinez
    Vanes Martirosyan vs Demetrius Andrade

Saturday, Nov 16th

Andre Ward vs Edwin Rodriguez
    Tomasz Adamek vs Vyacheslav Glaskov

Saturday, Nov 23rd

Manny Pacquiao vs Brandon Rios (PPV)
    Evgeny Gradovich vs Billy Dib
    Carl Froch vs George Groves
    Yoan Pablo Hernandez vs Alexander Alekseev

Saturday, Nov 30th

Adonis Stevenson vs Tony Bellew
    Sergey Kovalev vs Ismayl Sillakh

Thanks Henno. A few others I'll be watching in November and Dec:

November 16:
    Tua vs Ustinov

November 23
    Boytsov vs Leapai

November 30
    Cleverly vs Ammann

December 3
    Roy Jones vs Bobby Gunn

December 7
    Barker vs Sturm
    Rigondeaux vs Agbeko
    Kirkland vs Tapia
    Macklin vs Nelson
    Judah vs Malignaggi
    Alexander vs Porter
    Lara vs Trout

December 14
    Maidana vs Broner
    Thurman vs Karass

December 7 is stacked. Boxing is dead, folks.

Forgot one myself.

Sunday, Nov 10th

Ali Raymi (19-0, 19 KOs) vs Akram Jafwi (15-0)

Any streams or live updates would be much appreciated. Stream links by pm only.

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to seeing SOG next weekend. Will probably watch the two heavyweight fights as well even though neither are riveting prospects. Love heavyweight boxing

Here are the lists amalgamated:

November 14
    Prizefighter

November 16
    Tua vs Ustinov
    Andre Ward vs Edwin Rodriguez
    Tomasz Adamek vs Vyacheslav Glaskov

November 23
    Biytsov vs Leapai
    Manny Pacquiao vs Brandon Rios (PPV)
    Evgeny Gradovich vs Billy Dib
    Carl Froch vs George Groves
    Yoan Pablo Hernandez vs Alexander Alekseev

November 30
    Celeverly vs Ammann
    Adonis Stevenson vs Tony Bellew
    Sergey Kovalev vs Ismayl Sillakh

December 3
    Roy Jones vs Bobby Gunn

December 7
    Barker vs Sturm
    Rigondeaux vs Agbeko
    Kirkland vs Tapia
    Macklin vs Nelson
    Judah vs Malignaggi
    Alexander vs Porter
    Lara vs Trout

December 14
    Maidana vs Broner
    Thurman vs Karass

Thanks GT. I love it when a list comes together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Looking forward to seeing Andre Ward back in action. Tough fight to come back from a long break

Just hope he's fully healed. 14 months is a ridiculously long time to be out of action in his position. He needs to be in the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Henno30 wrote: »
    Just hope he's fully healed. 14 months is a ridiculously long time to be out of action in his position. He needs to be in the public eye.

It's just over 10 months since the surgery so should be ok, but I guess we will find out.

Ward makes weight for tomorrow night. Rodriguez two pounds over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Anyone watching the Ward fight? Round 3 atm. Ward starting to figure out Rodriguez. Very scrappy though.

Rodriguez could easily get DQ'd here.

Easy UD win for Ward. Never even close to being tested. Rodriguez didn't throw a great punch all night. Ward still looks as good as ever.

• Advertisement

SOG is comfortably the 2nd best fighter in the world today.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,547 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pac_man wrote: »
    Ward is hard to watch sometimes, he's a dirty but clever fighter. I think he's a bit untouchable at the moment and that includes Golovkin.

I think he's very effective, but yes, difficult to watch at times. Bit too scrappy!

I'm a big fan of Ward but that was one seriously ugly fight last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

The fight was ugly, but Rodriguez came to make it nothing other than a mess. Ward is very impressive. The speed, pop & timing of his combinations is top notch. Super jab as well.

Did anybody notice that Ward almost single handedly won the fight with his left?

Ward is very comfortably the 2nd best boxer in the world today. There are only 3 boxers right now who have pre-eminent technical skills and ring IQ and Ward is one of them. But unlike the other two Ward is comfortable fighting in a phone booth, headbutting, elbowing, roughing it up, bullying opponents in the pocket. Ward will hurt you from outside, from mind-range and in close. Particularly at mid-range he is devastating. He is the most complete fighter in the world today.

His jab is behind only WK in boxing right now. The difference is Wlad usually has a reach advantage, whereas Ward has a reach disadvantage. That's why it's amazing that he outjabs opponents. He bends to his right and whips it in, very unorthodox and with power, using his back, not from the shoulder. He puts it on your nose, sternum and stomach. Excellent punch, so much pop and so much timing. His left hand is a very well developed weapon all round, with a leaping hook from outside and a lovely hook to the liver inside. Beautiful to watch. He can beat you leading, countering or in a brawl. Excellent fighter, has it all except one shot KO power really.

He's a real nice guy and doesn't go around making statements and calling people out so never really will be a cash cow. If he was from Mexico or something it would be different, but if you're from the US and not P4P #1 and not a brash trash talker, you won't make waves or have a huge fan base. The purists will love him though. He fights so ugly and yet it's so technical. Love watching him.

Ward for me is an ATG. As gene mentions, he is complete. He doesn't look all that pretty, but you don't win gold in the Olympics unless you can box. He can box with the best of them and slug and stink with the best of them. And he's damn slippy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Anyone think there is a case for him as P4P #1?

Johner wrote: »
    Anyone think there is a case for him as P4P #1?

Of course. He should be number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Did anybody notice that Ward almost single handedly won the fight with his left?

Ward is very comfortably the 2nd best boxer in the world today. There are only 3 boxers right now who have pre-eminent technical skills and ring IQ and Ward is one of them. But unlike the other two Ward is comfortable fighting in a phone booth, headbutting, elbowing, roughing it up, bullying opponents in the pocket. Ward will hurt you from outside, from mind-range and in close. Particularly at mid-range he is devastating. He is the most complete fighter in the world today.

His jab is behind only WK in boxing right now. The difference is Wlad usually has a reach advantage, whereas Ward has a reach disadvantage. That's why it's amazing that he outjabs opponents. He bends to his right and whips it in, very unorthodox and with power, using his back, not from the shoulder. He puts it on your nose, sternum and stomach. Excellent punch, so much pop and so much timing. His left hand is a very well developed weapon all round, with a leaping hook from outside and a lovely hook to the liver inside. Beautiful to watch. He can beat you leading, countering or in a brawl. Excellent fighter, has it all except one shot KO power really.

He's a real nice guy and doesn't go around making statements and calling people out so never really will be a cash cow. If he was from Mexico or something it would be different, but if you're from the US and not P4P #1 and not a brash trash talker, you won't make waves or have a huge fan base. The purists will love him though. He fights so ugly and yet it's so technical. Love watching him.

A positive post from Gene!!!!

You see, it's not actually that hard to do :)

• Advertisement

Ward's best shots at boosting his name are Chavez Jr and Golovkin. It's possible that the winner of Kovalev/Stevenson will be a big name by the time that fight happens as well.

He needs to beat guys with big followings to have any chance of getting near that PPV level. I don't think Jr will be let near him to be honest, so realistically his best chance is GGG, provided GGG continues to impress next year.

Golovkin's not now nor ever likely to have the sort of following Chavez Jr has, but he's doing 1.5m on HBO after just 12 months on US television. If he continues to draw viewers at that rate, by late 2014 or early 2015 Golovkin vs Ward will be a PPV level fight.

There doesn't seem to be many other options for Ward to move to the next level in terms of his profile. He's the only American star in the neighbourhood. Unless you count B-Hop, but I don't see that happening.

Advertisement