Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deprogramming Verona Murphy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    The whole thread is a meaningless rabbit hole.

Okay Blanch ;)

rowley-birkin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Nope. Not offended myself. You should re-read my OP. You assume I am because you can then give out. I agree with you. You are basically re-posting the OP. I say she should pick a stance and stick with it so we know what we're getting.

Read your own op, you're only talking scutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Read like all asylum seekers needing vetting and deprogramming as they might be ISIS.
    Seems like a reasonable condition of granting asylum.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/dec/02/islamic-state-recruiters-targeting-refugees-in-europe-counter-terror-experts-warn

Be nice to be dodging bombs supplied by the west, getting shot at by both sides and making your way to Ireland to be deprogrammed as a member of one of the groups you left to get away from.

Tell us more about the wars in Albania, Georgia, etc. There's very little info on the Google, surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Maybe she believes in what she's saying and doesn't want to retract it, she's suiting Leo's PR to suit those who offend easily on behalf of others like yourself and the parrot

Isn't that pretty much what the whole point of the op is tbh?
    Leo spoke to her and all is well. He told her stories about his granny getting money from abroad or something. She's now completed her corrective education.
    If it's just a case of these people trying to get noticed that's shameful. If it's legitimate sentiment, rather than tow the party line, after being put back in their respective boxes, they should have the courage of their convictions to be open and honest with the electorate.

So you apparently read the OP, reworded it slightly while retaining the sentiments, and then accuse the op of scutter:confused:
    Read your own op, you're only talking scutter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My two cents-

Verona Murphy was out of her depth the minute she started commenting on non haulage industry issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

My two cents-

Verona Murphy was out of her depth the minute she started commenting on non haulage industry issues

And not like there is any connection between foreigners and hauliers.... oh wait.

Between that and the ridiculous statements on homeless and addictions and then drink driving, Verona has the trifecta up in the madness stakes. Then goes to an asylum centre and changes her mind.

A little out of her depth.

STB. wrote: »

My suspicion is she's using asylum seekers to raise her profile, what ever her genuine thoughts may be.

STB. wrote: »
    Did you read that article I linked. The lad in the WRC didn't seem happy with what went on.

I didn't know a lot about the woman until I started googling.

Having said all that, the quality of the candidates down this way are piss poor.

I did. It gives insight to the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I am sure Miss Murphy is a lovely lady. My view on migrants coming to our shores is that they are not the problem. The problem is the minimum wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She could have phrased it better but I don't see why it's a topic that shouldn't be discussed.

Migrants seem to be some kind of taboo subject in this country with everyone afraid to say some of them might be ISIS sympathisers.

She could have phrased it better but I don't see why it's a topic that shouldn't be discussed.

Migrants seem to be some kind of taboo subject in this country with everyone afraid to say some of them might be ISIS sympathisers.

For me it's that she seemed to have a strong concern about the ISIS element and then was willing to step back when Leo chimed in. Leo doesn't want to rock the boat I'd imagine.

For me it's that she seemed to have a strong concern about the ISIS element and then was willing to step back when Leo chimed in. Leo doesn't want to rock the boat I'd imagine.

I'd say she got a bollocking behind the scenes and was told to change her tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My suspicion is she's using asylum seekers to raise her profile
    mission accomplished

It's going to be discussed on The Tonight Show @11pm on TV3, will be interesting to see what they have to say about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Tonight show saying she did it for votes and that its going down well in Wexford.
    Jaysus this Healy Ray lad seems drunk.
    Will be interesting to see how she polls.
    There seems to be a big right wing vote out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I doubt many AS are linked to ISIS?

As most AS come are Asian men travelling from the UK, Albanians, Georgians, and other from "safe countries".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Isn't that pretty much what the whole point of the op is tbh?

So you apparently read the OP, reworded it slightly while retaining the sentiments, and then accuse the op of scutter:confused:

The op struggles to remain impartial although they pretend that it doesn't bother them, only a fool cant read between the lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wexford has a rather shameful history in this regard - remember Fethard On Sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

There is no need for any deprogramming, If an asylum seeker is proven to have any links to ISIS at all I would hope if not expect their application for asylum to fail and for them to exit the state asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Dr Umar Al Quadri has warned the Govt on numerous occasions that ISIS cells or individuals are coming in through the Refugee system. He also stated that they should be deported.
    A number of years ago a whistleblower in an asylum centre in Limerick warned that there were many Islamic militants living in the centre. He was accused of racism and the Limerick Leader (who ran the story) was attacked until it turned out that the whistleblower was himself a Muslim former refugee.
    ISIS themselves have clearly stated that they are sending members to Europe through the asylum process.

She was entirely within her rights to say what she did.

Those who dismiss her might recall the lady involved with the ISIS cell which planned to attack Dublin
    She said "there were up to 150 Muslim extremists living in Ireland and that this country was viewed as a soft touch by the UK extremists"

"She said the Islamists "laugh" at Ireland because they see the country as being "backward and behind the times" in the authorities' assessment of the threat of radical Islam"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭enricoh

Maybe that iman got brainwashed by gemma o doherty! What would he know, the big racist!

The media are really going to town on her.
    Saw miriam o callaghan interrogating bruton last night on prime time about dropping her.
    Are the permanently outraged telling us that if we take in 1000s of syrian refugees no isis supporters will slip in.
    Also iirc pakistan is one of the most represented countries seeking asylum in Ireland, none of these will be isis sympathisers either? Sure thing!

The op struggles to remain impartial although they pretend that it doesn't bother them, only a fool cant read between the lines

I'm not impartial. I think Fine Gael are despicable, based on their record and quality of membership. That said, what has you confused about the OP, that you seem to be in agreement with? She should stand by her beliefs or completely retract and leave it at that. Pretty simple. Impartiality not needed or relevant. She seems to be trying to stir for support by using asylum seekers, people who come here for refuge not to be pimped out politically for votes by small minded arsehole politicians.
    If she believes what she said stand by it and let the voters decide. She's trying to play both sides. FYI: that's all in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm not impartial. I think Fine Gael are despicable, based on their record and quality of membership. That said, what has you confused about the OP, that you seem to be in agreement with? Sh should stand by her beliefs or completely retract and leave it at that.Pretty simple. Impartiality not needed or relevant.

In your world, is she allowed modify her views into something in-between?

blanch152 wrote: »
    In your world, is she allowed modify her views into something in-between?

Still no opinion Blanch? Would you not just come out and give an opinion on it or move on? Discussions work better that way. As handsome as I am, not everything is about me, (except in your world it seems).

Still no opinion Blanch? Would you not just come out and give an opinion on it or move on?

I am asking a question of you, the OP, to help me clarify my view, and understand where you are coming from.

Right now, I have little idea what your opinion is, other than "FG are bad", on this issue.

You say "Sh should stand by her beliefs or completely retract and leave it at that.Pretty simple." Those are two completely different actions, and you haven't given an opinion on which she should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That's your assessment, through your (judging by your posts in the thread) less than impartial eyes.

In saying that, it didn't take away from the fact that you reiterated what their opinion was - but somehow theirs is scutter, but yours presumably holds more sway.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

It seems scaremongering and using asylum seekers/immigrants as a dog whistle is all the rage with these minor league politicians even if their party is one of the largest in the country.
    We'd Grealish the other week, but not to be out done, their kissing cousins over in Fine Gael had a go.

Not since FG'er Noel Coonan likening water metering protesters to ISIS have we had such nonsense.

Leo spoke to her and all is well. He told her stories about his granny getting money from abroad or something. She's now completed her corrective education.
    If it's just a case of these people trying to get noticed that's shameful. If it's legitimate sentiment, rather than tow the party line, after being put back in their respective boxes, they should have the courage of their convictions to be open and honest with the electorate.

It seems alot of these 'politicians' are taking their lead from Trump's brand of shock politics. Ultimately I have no issue with Ireland fulfilling its obligations to take in asylum seekers if they can be proved to be legitimate and the whole process be as quick and humane as possible.

It however must take into consideration the short, medium and potential long term considerations of not just the asylum seekers but also the community into which they will be integrated.

The problem is Ireland is that we do not have an asylum seeker processing system that is fit for purpose. Both the foreign nationals applying and the locals are treated with disdain and the result is fear and distrust at best and naked racism at worst. In that vacuum Grealish et al find a voice and a vote.

Leaderless govs, of which we have had a succession in this country are entirely to blame for the Dickensian approach to and fallout from Ireland's immigration policy.

Leo, a man who decided he didnt fancy getting his hands dirty and working on the front line of medicine thought he'd move up the pecking order and get into the world of politics. He's transitioned from being a failed doctor to a failed minister for transport , to a failed minister for health and now a failing Taoiseach who nobody voted for. I liken Leo to Bertie, both were Taoiseach during an economic boom , both love a photo op and both will be treated justifiably poorly by historians because both were useless.

That's your assessment, through your (judging by your posts in the thread) less than impartial eyes.

In saying that, it didn't take away from the fact that you reiterated what their opinion was - but somehow theirs is scutter, but yours presumably holds more sway.

Well, maybe you could explain the OP in simple plain English to the rest of us, I think a key point of this thread is that people are struggling to understand what Matt is actually trying to say (ignoring his little jibes at FG, as he hardly opened another thread just for that) on the subject of Verona Murphy.

It seems scaremongering and using asylum seekers/immigrants as a dog whistle is all the rage with these minor league politicians even if their party is one of the largest in the country.
    We'd Grealish the other week, but not to be out done, their kissing cousins over in Fine Gael had a go.

Not since FG'er Noel Coonan likening water metering protesters to ISIS have we had such nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

https://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/statistics

I think the link above puts some perspective on the broadly held view that we are getting ‘over run’ by asylum seekers.......in 2018, 70% of those who applied for refugee status were rejected......a total of 683 were granted asylum status in 2018....... majority of those granted Asylum were surprise surprise from Syria.....

Advertisement