Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Developments 2016-2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

It is great to see investments promised like this (bar the daft ones like that unnecessary waste of money footbridge) but given the litany of failed promises and the councils history of incompetence it is hard to see these projects all coming to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ah, you're opposed to the removal of the parkway roundabout so?

Yeah I dont think traffic lights will make that junction any better to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah I dont think traffic lights will make that junction any better to be honest

Travel it every morning, one of the biggest helpers would be people who actually understand lane discipline and how to actually use a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

Just remember the shannon is one of the widest river crossings in the country, 16 million is a ludicrous amount to spend on it tho still!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

dave 27 wrote:
    Just remember the shannon is one of the widest river crossings in the country, 16 million is a ludicrous amount to spend on it tho still!

It's not even going to cross the Shannon. It'll cross the mouth of the Abbey River, about 100 yards from an existing bridge! The plan is so hare brained it's beyond belief. They're already spending a lot of money on the design though. It really is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »

cronin_j wrote: »
    Travel it every morning, one of the biggest helpers would be people who actually understand lane discipline and how to actually use a roundabout.

Wasn't that junction controlled by traffic lights before and replaced with a roundabout.

If they're installing lights there then they should make it a T junction, access to/from Rhebogue should be via Groody junction.

They should also try to allow traffic out of town (on Dublin Rd) to have a continuous flow and merge with traffic from Childers Rd on the dual carriageway. That might reduce some of the queueing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Vanquished

1huge1 wrote: »
    - €6m on transport link between the University of Limerick and Parkway

What on earth does that mean? They've upgraded that roundabout by Groody twice in the last 7 years.

€6million seems like a lot of money for it just to go to the Parkway.

I'm always in favour of Public Transport enhancements, any more info on this would be appreciated.

I believe the preferred option here is for a segregated transport route(with bus & cycle facilities) from the UL campus involving an upgrade of the private road leading to the sewerage treatment plant. A new link through undeveloped lands bypassing the Groody roundabout and connecting up with the old Dublin road by the Travelodge and running onwards to the Parkway roundabout.

There are obviously a number of constraints and challenges to be overcome though so the final design could be altered quite significantly.

Vanquished wrote: »
    I believe the preferred option here is for a segregated transport route(with bus & cycle facilities) from the UL campus involving an upgrade of the private road leading to the sewerage treatment plant. A new link through undeveloped lands bypassing the Groody roundabout and connecting up with the old Dublin road by the Travelodge and running onwards to the Parkway roundabout.

There are obviously a number of constraints and challenges to be overcome though so the final design could be altered quite significantly.

I didn't see that mentioned in Limerick City & County Council's monthly newsletter.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

zulutango wrote: »
    I didn't see that mentioned in Limerick City & County Council's monthly newsletter.

It is mentioned in various Limerick Smarter Travel plans, had forgotten it until the poster above mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I always thought that road offered a lot of potential to ease UL traffic, wasn't sure about land ownership, only ever noticing that some mornings they allowed it to be used as an entrance.

Would need a bit of a widening to accomodate buses :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So...were going to build a route...to bypass the new cycle routes that are not in long at groody....interesting..

Were gonna get that monorail yet lads....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Does anyone know any details of the Dock Road improvements, Childers Road improvements & O'Rourkes Cross (N20) improvements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I wonder would it make any sense to have the UL bus using ballysimon road for either its inward or outward part of its route?

This would give a bus for the retail parks while finding space ala ballysimon road for a bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mr.H wrote:
    I wonder would it make any sense to have the UL bus using ballysimon road for either its inward or outward part of its route?

would give a bus for the retail parks while finding space ala ballysimon road for a bus lane

The eurobus crowd do a route along that road. A good bit quicker to town than bus Eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The eurobus crowd do a route along that road. A good bit quicker to town than bus Eireann

Really I thought they went the Dublin road also............... I'll have to look into that. Always wondered why Bus Eireann ignored that route

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mr.H wrote: »
    Really I thought they went the Dublin road also............... I'll have to look into that. Always wondered why Bus Eireann ignored that route

They have 2 routes, one that goes out the Ballysimon Road, and to the UL North Campus. The other one goes out the Childers Road to UL, up by Castletroy College and back to town via Dublin Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Not sure if this is the right thread, but good to see something happening on this site.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/234-new-jobs-as-lit-gets-greenlight-on-development-1-7093176

vkid wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but good to see something happening on this site.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/234-new-jobs-as-lit-gets-greenlight-on-development-1-7093176

Great news. Would be fantastic to see some of the higher level education institutions commit to the the city centre though. One of the real weaknesses we have as a city is that, apart from LSAD, our big educational establishments are located well outside the city.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zulutango wrote: »
    Great news. Would be fantastic to see some of the higher level education institutions commit to the the city centre though. One of the real weaknesses we have as a city is that, apart from LSAD, our big educational establishments are located well outside the city.

Well if it ever gets built UL, LIT and Mary I have all committed to setting up in the Opera center site.

Well if it ever gets built UL, LIT and Mary I have all committed to setting up in the Opera center site.

It's all very tenuous unfortunately. It's 4 years since the site was purchased and nothing definite yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

vkid wrote: »

If this development does go ahead, I hope the powers that be can persuade Bus Éireann to reinstate a Coonagh bus service. They could reroute the current 302 to Coonagh or even introduce a new Ennis Road route serving areas currently not on a bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

I think in fairness to bus eireann in the last couple of years they have made using the bus in Limerick almost worth while! Almost! I think with the growth of places like UL and the Crescent and lit and thomond park they do tend to put more buses on those routes (and rightfully so) so I'd imagine they would extend the bus services out that way to cater for the volumes. I'd say tesco are rubbing their hands 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sportzstar

Anyone got any pictures of the Pedestrian Operated Tower Cranes in UL?

I've got some from every city in Ireland and need one for my collection.

Anyone who drives anywhere near the Groody roundabout will have seen in the last week how, if this route isn't put on stilts, is going to have challenges regarding flooding

I see the EU has given €4m for the upgrade of O'Connell St between Denmark St and Barrington St. The council are going to match this with work starting later this year.
    I can't find many details other than the widening of footpaths.

I see the EU has given €4m for the upgrade of O'Connell St between Denmark St and Barrington St. The council are going to match this with work starting later this year.
    I can't find many details other than the widening of footpaths.

Have you any source for this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Vanquished

"50% co-financed by the EU" so that means €8.2 million at least for the project which runs from the junction with Denmark Street to Barrington Street. A distance covering 786 metres apparently. This also incorporates the Crescent which the council had a separate plan for a couple of years ago. It's an area that deserves some attention in its own right. You could develop a plaza area around the monument and remove the car parking to widen the footpaths on either side. Perhaps a new water feature or fountain could be installed too.

I wonder what paving materials they will plump for here. The French limestone used on Bedford Row and Thomas Street is expensive but is aesthetically impressive and hard wearing. Hopefully they will continue with this while at the same time curtailing the amount of bollards, signs and general clutter that have undermined many street upgrade projects to date!

The image shows a bus driving down the pedestrianised street. That isn't really a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Do you have any idea where I could look at the plans for this. If I'm reading that right the "undeveloped land" is actually essential flood plain. Not much point in them spending millions on flood defenses that are rendered immediately useless because the amount of water in the river is vastly increased.

Advertisement