Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick FC 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I've been looking forward to the season starting, and even i didn't fully realise that it was starting back on Friday. I knew it was either this week or next week, but there's been very little hype about it.

And if I didn't know, people with a very casual interest are hardly going to.

It would hardly cost too much to put up a few posters around town, get some mention on the front of local papers + maybe a radio ad. Possibly offer a discount to local clubs in the area if they bring a few underage teams or something..... there was a big crowd for the first day last year, and I know it was the first year back in the top flight, but there was a lot more buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

All they would have to do with regard posters is get them made up me and a few lads used to put them up all over the place for them before when they got them made up would be very easy to do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Preview by backpagefootball of the season ahead today. What is the latest on Dave O Leary?

http://backpagefootball.com/league-of-ireland-preview-limerick-fc/71063/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Aidric wrote: »
    Preview by backpagefootball of the season ahead today. What is the latest on Dave O Leary?

http://backpagefootball.com/league-of-ireland-preview-limerick-fc/71063/

Expected to be announced tomorrow by Cork but there has been a lot of delays with the move it seems. He is playing friendlies for them.

O'Leary will be the biggest loss of all... is it just a case of being outbid? We should get compensation in that case?

Anyone know why Coughlan hasn't been given a squad number, he was announced as signed? Think it'd be a mistake to let him go again, think he'd be more suited to Premier Division football than Sheedy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    O'Leary will be the biggest loss of all... is it just a case of being outbid? We should get compensation in that case?

Anyone know why Coughlan hasn't been given a squad number, he was announced as signed? Think it'd be a mistake to let him go again, think he'd be more suited to Premier Division football than Sheedy.

Don't think Dave will be all that big of a loss...Gamble is a much bigger loss

I think Duggan is an excellent replacement for O'Leary and he is actually a better player. Gamble hasn't been replaced but I think Nzuzi will do a fine job in a similar roll to Gamble. He can read the game well, has the legs to get around the middle and he is comfortable on the ball. We still need another midfielder and striker though.

If Prince Agyemang arrives then that should hopefully bolster the midfield. We will be relying a lot on midfield for goals I would imagine.

Fully fit XI:

Ryan

Kelly
    Oji
    Leahy/Folan
    Williams

Nzuzi
    Duggan
    Hughes

Tracy
    Gaffney
    Curran

Subs:
    Cusack
    Leahy/Folan
    Costello
    Murphy
    Rainsford
    Coughlan
    Sheedy

Saw Barry Ryan today, don't know if his match fit, his certainly not the most approachable Limerick player I've come across...But i assume that his out of hospital that's a good sign

Saw Barry Ryan today, don't know if his match fit, his certainly not the most approachable Limerick player I've come across...But i assume that his out of hospital that's a good sign

Ya he is just back training since yesterday. He was in Hospital with Viral Meningitis so he will be out for another bit yet. Great to hear he's back training though.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya he is just back training since yesterday. He was in Hospital with Viral Meningitis so he will be out for another bit yet. Great to hear he's back training though.

Jaysus that's pretty serious, he'll be a massive loss

• Advertisement

I hate to say it about the lad but if Murray is in goal I can see him costing us the game.

Taylor said we wont be signing Ebanks the striker that was on trial so hopefully he is still looking at other options to add another striker.

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    I hate to say it about the lad but if Murray is in goal I can see him costing us the game.

Taylor said we wont be signing Ebanks the striker that was on trial so hopefully he is still looking at other options to add another striker.

We just need to hope we are solid enough at the back that he hasn't got much to do. He is really been thrown in at the deep end.

We just need to hope we are solid enough at the back that he hasn't got much to do. He is really been thrown in at the deep end.

Surely Cusack will start if Barry is unavailable?

Surely Cusack will start if Barry is unavailable?

Cusack is injured.

Injury list:

Barry Ryan
    Shane Cusack
    Sam Oji
    Mick Leahy
    Robbie Williams
    Danny Galbraith

Hopefully a few recover for Friday.

Cusack is injured.

Injury list:

Barry Ryan
    Shane Cusack
    Sam Oji
    Mick Leahy
    Robbie Williams
    Danny Galbraith

Hopefully a few recover for Friday.

Ah feck...Would love to know whats up with Danny, his been the gym quiet a lot during this injury and looks fine on the treadmill and bike and seems to be as agile as a ballerina(which i'm jealous of, of course)

Ah feck...Would love to know whats up with Danny, his been the gym quiet a lot during this injury and looks fine on the treadmill and bike and seems to be as agile as a ballerina(which i'm jealous of, of course)

Torn Hamstring.

Don't think Dave will be all that big of a loss...Gamble is a much bigger loss

Well, I think losing the both together will be a big blow. I really expected Dave to step up this season, and I think he would have complimented Duggan nicely.

Gamble was our only midfielder who would consistently put in a tackle, but he had the tendency to have really poor games where he looked disinterested. I like Nzuzi as a midfielder, but I wouldn't really see him as the same type... I'd see him more as a box-to-box, covering a lot of ground, rather than a ball-winner. And you do need to have someone who can win the ball back.

Would have been great to sign Lynch... pity.

I think Duggan is an excellent replacement for O'Leary and he is actually a better player. Gamble hasn't been replaced but I think Nzuzi will do a fine job in a similar roll to Gamble. He can read the game well, has the legs to get around the middle and he is comfortable on the ball. We still need another midfielder and striker though.

If Prince Agyemang arrives then that should hopefully bolster the midfield. We will be relying a lot on midfield for goals I would imagine.

Fully fit XI:

Ryan

Kelly
    Oji
    Leahy/Folan
    Williams

Nzuzi
    Duggan
    Hughes

Tracy
    Gaffney
    Curran

Subs:
    Cusack
    Leahy/Folan
    Costello
    Murphy
    Rainsford
    Coughlan
    Sheedy

Do we know for sure that Agyemang is coming? And if he does, do we know what position he plays? Attacking-minded or defensive?

You've left Galbraith out of your fully fit XI.

Mine would be:

Ryan; Kelly, Tracy, Oji, Folan; Nzuzi, Duggan, Galbraith; Curran, Rainsford, Gaffney

I know that is very unlikely to happen though, you can presumably include Williams at left-back, Hughes in midfield and Tracy further forward?

To be honest I totally forgot about Galbraith.

Prince is an attacking midfielder as far as I know or at least he likes to play the ball forward. The club still seem to be adamant that prince and Abass are coming and that they just have to leave Ghana now because all the paper work is sorted.

To be honest I totally forgot about Galbraith.

Prince is an attacking midfielder as far as I know or at least he likes to play the ball forward. The club still seem to be adamant that prince and Abass are coming and that they just have to leave Ghana now because all the paper work is sorted.

It'll be good to have the numbers, I guess, but as far as I can see it's a defensive midfielder that we're missing. Someone gritty, who can step in, make a tackle, cover lots of ground, then put their foot on the ball and play a simple pass. Or even a big, strong physical presence... lots of light, tidy players... too many that do the same thing.

Maybe Duggan could perform that role but you don't want to limit his attacking capabilities, which are probably better than the rest aswell.

I just want Barry Ryan back..... won us so many points single-handedly last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Confirmed on RTE website that O'Leary has signed for Cork

• Advertisement

Leahy has the ball skills to play in the defensive midfield role I think.

Maybe his being thinking that, might explain why whitehead has been playing a bit and talked up a bit

Does he have the mobility and intelligence though?

I don't know a huge amount about Leahy, just seen him in games against Limerick really. Looked decent but hard to judge really... I'd say it'll be close between him and Folan when everyone's fit, so if he could play midfield, it'd be a big asset.

Nzuzi was a defensive midfielder in his time with Newcastle. Prince is a defensive midfielder but i'll believe he is coming when he is here. What does that even mean just waiting to leave Ghana? Just get them a flight then surely.

We were outmuscled in games last season and that is gonna happen again with the options we have in midfield.

Prince Agyemang and Ali Abass on the way from Ghana tomorrow.

Prince Agyemang and Ali Abass on the way from Ghana tomorrow.

For sure?

That's a boost... if they are any good. I mean we're getting low on keepers already... Abass might have to feature in the opening weeks (presumably he won't make the Bray game). We mightn't need to use Agyemang right at the start- as we do have Hughes, Nzuzi and Duggan... and Tracy, I suppose. But if he's good, he could feature plenty of times.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    For sure?

That's a boost... if they are any good. I mean we're getting low on keepers already... Abass might have to feature in the opening weeks (presumably he won't make the Bray game). We mightn't need to use Agyemang right at the start- as we do have Hughes, Nzuzi and Duggan... and Tracy, I suppose. But if he's good, he could feature plenty of times.

Wont be available to play Bray game as they will have just arrived that day but they are being presented to the crowd i believe.

Heard some very very good things about both.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 E.Scifo

Cant wait for Friday :). 3 wishes to kick on from last season.

Improve the disciplinary record starting with the sideline. We have a group of youngsters on the bench who saw at least 4 trips to the stands for the management team last season. If you cant handle yourself then how can you get this across to the players? Far to many times we had pointless red cards on the field which leads to pointless games.

Totally agree with Fireball07's need for defensive midfielder. With our lack of experience we really really need a 30ish Dub with 10 years premier experience.

Goal poacher required. Currens work rate is fantastic and in Gafney, Rainsford and Sheedy we have players who can all score but we could do with someone who is just going to stay inside the box looking for scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

E.Scifo wrote: »
    Totally agree with Fireball07's need for defensive midfielder. With our lack of experience we really really need a 30ish Dub with 10 years premier experience.

Why does he have to be a Dub? :confused: That aside Joe Gamble met your criteria fairly well. :D

• Advertisement

E.Scifo wrote: »
    Cant wait for Friday :). 3 wishes to kick on from last season.

Improve the disciplinary record starting with the sideline. We have a group of youngsters on the bench who saw at least 4 trips to the stands for the management team last season. If you cant handle yourself then how can you get this across to the players? Far to many times we had pointless red cards on the field which leads to pointless games.

Goal poacher required. Currens work rate is fantastic and in Gafney, Rainsford and Sheedy we have players who can all score but we could do with someone who is just going to stay inside the box looking for scraps.
    Taylor has already been sent off in the Munster cup

Advertisement