Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Businesses Opening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Berty wrote: »
    I have been realiably informed from inside m+s that a new store will open in Limerick.

Where, I don't know nor when but I trust this information to be true and honest.

I hope you're right about this but unfortunately I wont believe it til I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have been realiably informed from inside m+s that a new store will open in Limerick.

Where, I don't know nor when but I trust this information to be true and honest.

Oh that will be a major draw - if the dopes in city council dont pull this one into the city - we might as well forget out Limerick city ever being rejuvenated!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

I hope you're right about this but unfortunately I wont believe it til I see it!

I second this . Have'nt they been saying this for years and nothing ever comes of it. When I was working in the crescent ten years ago and they built the extension it was supposed to be going there.I wish they would open, It would be a fantastic boost to the city and I'm sure would be very successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I only got the small info from my friend. I will give you more details if I get them but no doubt the ida will jump all over it like it was sown to them they are coming.

I mentioned the ida, can of worms in here to be fair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Lol!!!, christ i remember hearing that rumour when speights was demolished and remember hearing it before then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

That M+S will open a store in Limerick is a certainty. Its been on the cards for years, so nothing new in the prediction.

Somebody will eventually get it right with M+S guesswork.

I was in the one in Dublin recently, wasn't overly excited, a bit like Ivans with a drapery section, expensive so not going to draw in mega crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

can we GIVE them the whole opera centre area and let them go mad building their store?
    Please?

Swear it will fall on someone someday

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

phill106 wrote: »
    can we GIVE them the whole opera centre area and let them go mad building their store?
    Please?

Swear it will fall on someone someday

Let them use an existing building like the old Dunnes by Sarsfield Bridge. They can build a multi storey car park to the back, and if it was done right, it could end up as a great looking store with one side facing the river.

Maybe have a few other units to let within the complex to create more of a buzz in the area.

Something like that could then bring other retailers back to the empty units near it, and would create a reason for people to come back into the city.

Failing that, they should scrap the talk of knocking Arthurs Quay that was floating about and let M&S in there. They could take the Tesco slot downstairs, along with the Tesco loading and storage area, as their supermarket section and also convert some of the upstairs units directly above that unit to be their homeware and clothing departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Wasn't there a post on here a few months ago. (can't find it maybe someone can) Where a exec/press release from M&S stated that a Limerick store wasn't on the cards for at least 5 years?

Open to correction on that, but these rumours start up every few months and we thought we'd gotten a definitive answer that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

foinse wrote: »
    Wasn't there a post on here a few months ago. (can't find it maybe someone can) Where a exec/press release from M&S stated that a Limerick store wasn't on the cards for at least 5 years?

Open to correction on that, but these rumours start up every few months and we thought we'd gotten a definitive answer that time.

There was a release on the M&S website about new store openings up until 2011/12 I think, and there was a list of what was clearly marked as the only Irish openings up until that date. Limerick was not one of them.

But who knows what their future plans may be.The right location at the right price may tempt them to change plans. But the way they were able to get their stores into Clonmel, Cork, Galway, and Kerry showed that they can set up fairly quickly, in relative terms, when they have a site they are interested in and when they deal with local authorities/councils who want to improve their own city/town.

I am convinced that if there had been a viable city centre alternative offered to them when the planning opermission was refused for the Crescent shopping centre, then they would be in the city now or at least in the process of setting up.

But what was presented to them was the option of setting up at locations that don't even exist and no lead times could be offered. So as with one of the companies that I used to work for, who also wanted to set up in Limerick city centre, I would imagine they just went where they could deal with people who actually knew what they were doing.

Pie in the sky promises just does not wash with big businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

The crescent is where they have the eye on, even the store location search on The M&S website has:
    Limerick

Address:Anchor Dooradoyle Precinct, Dooradoyle, LIMERICK,

But states that the store is closed for next seven weeks!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Edinburgh Woollen Mills official opening tomorrow, may have doors open this afternoon though depending on how the fit is going.

Remember when it looked like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Gaywear used to be in there!

Wasn't that in Todds, first on the corner of Thomas St and then to William Street? Or did it move to Bedford Row for a while?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I thought an old cinema used to be in the Bedford Row unit?

I thought an old cinema used to be in the Bedford Row unit?

Indeed, above that bingo place

Grand Central Cinema & Central Studio Cinema
    Grand Central, Later known as the Central Studios situated on Bedford Row, the building in which it stood was originally built as a Primitive Wesleyan Methodist preaching house in 1812.

This is the only cinema still in use, the Belltable Arts centre uses it for its film club.

concussion wrote: »
    Edinburgh Woollen Mills official opening tomorrow, may have doors open this afternoon though depending on how the fit is going.

Remember when it looked like this?

Yeah was very interesting when it was half knocked, glad they seemed to keep alot of the arches etc.

The entrance to the cinema was right beside the red cherry picker, while a pretty crappy shop occupied the rest. Ticket booth was immediately inside and the sweet shop was either the room beside the red basket, or the demolished one beside it (cant remember if it was directly in front or to the right when you got to the top of the steps). I suppose the projector was in the room above it, where the centre arch can be seen. Best thing about that cinema was the gigantic seats in the back row, with about 6 inches of boarding in between to stash all your junk food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

You bought food in the cinema shop you posh git?

Mullally's across the road FTW. :D:D:D

I don't recall where the shop was, as I got all my stuff in Mullallys :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

It was Mullanys :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

This was mentioned already a few pages back but I'm very impressed by that new place on Mallow Street - Caffe Waffe.

Great value, they do toasted sandwiches and soup for €3.50 I think. Hot chocolate is only €2 and its really nice. Always seems quiet in there so I hope they're not struggling. Theres a lot of offices and apartments around there, can't see how they won't get some good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

foinse wrote: »
    You bought food in the cinema shop you posh git?

Mullally's across the road FTW. :D:D:D

Mullanys you posh git, why did you just stop off on dunnes by the bridge. Supercan and bag of perri salt n vinegar supercrisps. Mullanys sometimes for the winegums.

I miss the Carlton can remember bringing in a dunnes bag full of popcorn for a cousins birthday and he upending it over the balcony half way through the flick :)

On topic though a few businesses are starting to open hopefully things are getting better. And this waffle place intrigues me used to get bacon in the middle of one in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

Kess73 wrote: »
    Let them use an existing building like the old Dunnes by Sarsfield Bridge. They can build a multi storey car park to the back, and if it was done right, it could end up as a great looking store with one side facing the river.

Maybe have a few other units to let within the complex to create more of a buzz in the area.

Something like that could then bring other retailers back to the empty units near it, and would create a reason for people to come back into the city.

Failing that, they should scrap the talk of knocking Arthurs Quay that was floating about and let M&S in there. They could take the Tesco slot downstairs, along with the Tesco loading and storage area, as their supermarket section and also convert some of the upstairs units directly above that unit to be their homeware and clothing departments.

If they could reclad Dunnes Stores like they did on the ILAC or Bank of Ireland on O Connell St I think it would improve the image.Utterly depressing to be walking passed an abandoned building.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Saw sumthing on facebook bout someone doing a car boot sale in town on Sat at the corner of Sarsfield St & Henry St at Raggle Taggle Studios, is that the place on Bedford Row? But mite be interesting to have a look at

Raggle taggle is the old benetton shop on the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭adaminho

It seems that it's a Paddy Macs burger that's opening in the old Kranks. It's a create your own burger place with chicken as well. By the looks of it should be open in the next day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nutri Eire

Best of luck to all the new and existing businesses !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Happy little feet i think it is called opening up in Grove Island shopping centre

Advertisement