Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soccer training for 5 year old

• 07-11-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi living in outskirts of city. My son starred school this year and I'm trying to get him into soccer . What age do kids start training from. And what time of year. The likes of granville a nd Geraldines are near but I'm originally from the country so don't know much about the soccer scene in the city. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Does he want to play? Is he interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I'm not from limerick, but clubs round our area are open during the school year and start with 5/6 year olds.

my 13 year old started when he was 8, he didn't want to start, but now he's as enthusiastic as hell about it. Some kids need the push to try something before realising they like it. My other son was again signed up but never got into the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Some clubs have started as young at 3-4 years of age. Limerick FC have baby blues, I think a few junior soccer clubs have started doing similar. The best people to contact would be the Limerick District Schoolboy League. They should be able to tell you what clubs have the right underage teams for your son. Also keep an eye out in the Limerick Chronicle.

The clubs with the best facilities would now be Aisling Annacotty, Regional United, Fairview Rangers, Janesboro, Pike Rovers and Summerville Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wildrover444

Jofspring wrote: »
    Some clubs have started as young at 3-4 years of age. Limerick FC have baby blues, I think a few junior soccer clubs have started doing similar. The best people to contact would be the Limerick District Schoolboy League. They should be able to tell you what clubs have the right underage teams for your son. Also keep an eye out in the Limerick Chronicle.

The clubs with the best facilities would now be Aisling Annacotty, Regional United, Fairview Rangers, Janesboro, Pike Rovers and Summerville Rovers.

Thanks for all the info guys. Il contact them and see what they say. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Hi living in outskirts of city. My son starred school this year and I'm trying to get him into soccer . What age do kids start training from. And what time of year. The likes of granville a nd Geraldines are near but I'm originally from the country so don't know much about the soccer scene in the city. Any advice would be appreciated.

Baby and mini blues are very good, no need to get involved with a club at that age, see how he enjoys it and give it a few years
    http://www.limerickfc.ie/academy/baby-and-mini-blues
    Parchment wrote: »
    Does he want to play? Is he interested?

Ya, because we all know the dangers of pushing kids towards sports:confused:

• Advertisement

Baby and mini blues are very good, no need to get involved with a club at that age, see how he enjoys it and give it a few years
    http://www.limerickfc.ie/academy/baby-and-mini-blues

Ya, because we all know the dangers of pushing kids towards sports:confused:

Thanks for that. Do you know if you can join at any time. I see from your link that they starting straining in September. I suppose I can give them a ring. Cheers.

No problem showing up any Saturday morning, two of my girls went along for a few months last year, they've moved onto basketball and prefer that but that's no reflection on the coaches or set up with the blues, it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

A guy from Granville dropped a flyer to my parents house last week about looking for kids starting soccer around age 5. Think the "training" is every Saturday in Delta Sports Dome.

Thanks for info. I will give ring about mini blues tomorrow. Found a number for granville during week but it was out of service so will have a look again. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Only thing about training with Limerick f.c. is the price,membership for underage is e250,not sure how much for baby blues.

• Advertisement

That is pretty pricey. Will check the prices before I do anything

That is pretty pricey. Will check the prices before I do anything

As far I know it's €250 but includes and open season ticket for Limerick FC matches, and all the kit. That's for the older kids though, not sure about the baby blues.

has anyone by chance got a number for granville rangers,tried to ring the 087 number i found online but its out of service and there facebook page hasnt been updated in over 2 years.

has anyone by chance got a number for granville rangers,tried to ring the 087 number i found online but its out of service and there facebook page hasnt been updated in over 2 years.

If you can't get the number it would be worth calling down on a Saturday as that's when underage is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Jofspring wrote: »
    As far I know it's €250 but includes and open season ticket for Limerick FC matches, and all the kit. That's for the older kids though, not sure about the baby blues.

my kids are in the Academy, as far as I know hte 250 does NOT include any kit at all, the kit is extra and is expensive!

That it pretty pricy. Especially if my youngfella doesn't like it.

That is probably for older kids?
    My two who went were never asked for any more than a small weekly sub and they went for over 10 weeks.

Ya I'd imagine it's for the older kids. Only way to find out is to give them a buzz I suppose. Willie John Boland is taking over the running of the academy now which is great to see. Have heard he is a top guy, was an excellent player and will give a lot of the younger players valuable advise.

Just to let ye know I went with granville rangers for a finish. Eventually emailed the people who run Limerick underage soccer and they got me a contact number for granville. They were starting there smurf soccer last Saturday in delta for 8 weeks. Only 20 for it and he enjoyed it. Tried to get in contact with Limerick mini blues but when I rang landline your one didn't know much about the mini blues training and told me to ring someone else but when I rang him it kept going straight to voicemail so left that for a finish. Cheers again for info.

Advertisement