Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Mavic mini

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

ozmo wrote: »
    Yes but just remember by default its working from the video feed the phone received - which can be as low as 720p and can contain glitches - not the full high resolution file thats on the sd card in the drone. It usually looks fine - but there is much higher quality video on the drone if you are uploading to youtube etc.
    There is an option to download HD images from drone - but it can take ages for longer flights.

any suggestion for a similar easy to use free software to use on laptop instead so?

fearruanua wrote: »
    All good. I changed the delivery address to a nearby shop that's a drop off point and it seemed to have kick started the delivery. So picked up the drone on Saturday evening. It was actually fairly windy so decided against going outside for its maiden flight, so myself and the brother in law were just flying around the kitchen with it when my wife arrives in and says "Oh are ye not going outside with it??" So out we went. :D:D:D

Battery wasn't full after all the flying around inside in the kitchen and we took off with the wind. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Flew down over my parents house which is about 300m away. Messing around there for a while. Battery was just below 30 when we decided it was best to come home. But the wind was fairly gusting at this stage so she was never getting home. To make matters worse a friend of mine called in the middle of trying to get it home so the screen went off. Panic!!!! When we managed to get phonecall cancelled the drone had done an emergency self landing job. GPS was a great job though. Found it way off down in a field below my parents house. Ah stop. Some craic.

Jesus make sure you buy the refresh package from DJI, Flying when below battery dear god :D you madman. Motors decrease in power to as you battery drains just something else to remember, makes it much harder to fly in wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Jesus make sure you buy the refresh package from DJI, Flying when below battery dear god :D you madman. Motors decrease in power to as you battery drains just something else to remember, makes it much harder to fly in wind.

Waiting for a dead calm evening but i venture out again!!!! I have the refresh package but i think thats no good if you lose your drone which i nearly managed to do.

Waiting for a dead calm evening but i venture out again!!!! I have the refresh package but i think thats no good if you lose your drone which i nearly managed to do.

yes once you can reclaim your drone your good, but if it goes for a swim in the Atlantic then bid farewell. Get an app that gives your current wind and gust speed, I use KittyHawk app

yes once you can reclaim your drone your good, but if it goes for a swim in the Atlantic then bid farewell. Get an app that gives your current wind and gust speed, I use KittyHawk app

Where would you draw the line with windspeed?

• Advertisement

Where would you draw the line with windspeed?

Anything up to 15mph you should be good but after that I would really consider the environment you are flying in, if its open (so you can fly at low altitude if you need to) and easily retrievable I wouldn't worry to much for anything between 15-20mph, Anything more then that I just wouldn't bother to be honest. As someone else here mentions if at all possible fly it against the wind on the outward journey so coming back it will be much easier

I am new to the drone couple of weeks so maybe others have more experience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Anything up to 15mph you should be good but after that I would really consider the environment you are flying in, if its open (so you can fly at low altitude if you need to) and easily retrievable I wouldn't worry to much for anything between 15-20mph, Anything more then that I just wouldn't bother to be honest. As someone else here mentions if at all possible fly it against the wind on the outward journey so coming back it will be much easier

I am new to the drone couple of weeks so maybe others have more experience with it.

I would suggest this App https://www.uavforecast.com/
    It is available for Android and IOS
    Set your highest windspeed at 28Kmh at 20m and it will then tell you whether or not it is good to fly . The Mini does not like high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

any suggestion for a similar easy to use free software to use on laptop instead so?

never found a good, easy to use, low cost one that can do 4K. Open to suggestions.

A few are mentioned like "davinci resolve" - but I found it tricky to learn and only found out when exporting the final file it was limited to 1080p - they hide that limitation well.

I use command line tools that edit the files lossless - simple joins and cuts only- but its almost instant editing on 4K files, rather than hours of rendering, which is great.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Hi all,

I've been looking into getting a decent drone for a while drawn to the mavic mini after reading reviews & watching numerous youtube videos on it.

As the weight is 249 grams it currently does not need to be registered.

However, with the new regulations due to come in July will this model need to be registered as it has a camera?

Also, if it needs to be registered, is the list of registered drones publicly available or is it a non-accessible list?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Also, if it needs to be registered, is the list of registered drones publicly available or is it a non-accessible list?
    The only list that is publicly available is the Drone Operators Contact List

That obviously doesn't include enthusiasts .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

paddymcg wrote: »
    Anyone getting the new dji Mavic mini. Under 250g so doesn't have to be registered.
    As the weight is 249 grams it currently does not need to be registered.
    Bit late with this but someone asked me about this very point yesterday and thought I should put it here too.

That line is completely incorrect!

From IAA
    Those of 1 kg or more and less than 25 kg, without fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft and including cargo at the start of its flight, must be registered through this website. Lighter drones flown at heights greater than 15m above the ground or water must also be registered
    Fly it over 15m, it needs to be registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Bit late with this but someone asked me about this very point yesterday and thought I should put it here too.

That line is completely incorrect!

From IAA
    Fly it over 15m, it needs to be registered.

Registration of small drones is an easy process anyway. It's not like you have to do courses and exams like you have to do for the big commercial drones. You just fill in the form @ https://www.asset-international.com and pay €5/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Pretty new to my Mavic Mini but happy out with the performance so far. One question though for you experts out there......... Do you turn off your sim or enable do not disturb when flying to prevent the issue below with incoming calls?

I'm assuming airplane mode would interfere with connection to the drone.
    All good. I changed the delivery address to a nearby shop that's a drop off point and it seemed to have kick started the delivery. So picked up the drone on Saturday evening. It was actually fairly windy so decided against going outside for its maiden flight, so myself and the brother in law were just flying around the kitchen with it when my wife arrives in and says "Oh are ye not going outside with it??" So out we went. :D:D:D

Battery wasn't full after all the flying around inside in the kitchen and we took off with the wind. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Flew down over my parents house which is about 300m away. Messing around there for a while. Battery was just below 30 when we decided it was best to come home. But the wind was fairly gusting at this stage so she was never getting home. To make matters worse a friend of mine called in the middle of trying to get it home so the screen went off. Panic!!!! When we managed to get phonecall cancelled the drone had done an emergency self landing job. GPS was a great job though. Found it way off down in a field below my parents house. Ah stop. Some craic.

Pretty new to my Mavic Mini but happy out with the performance so far. One question though for you experts out there......... Do you turn off your sim or enable do not disturb when flying to prevent the issue below with incoming calls?

I'm assuming airplane mode would interfere with connection to the drone.

I see you read what happened me. Never actually thought of putting it in airplane mode tbh. makes sense really doesn't it. don't see why it shouldn't work fine in airplane mode.

I see you read what happened me. Never actually thought of putting it in airplane mode tbh. makes sense really doesn't it. don't see why it shouldn't work fine in airplane mode.

Does it not require the phones WiFi connection for the drone, or is the remote providing the pictures to the phone?

Does it not require the phones WiFi connection for the drone, or is the remote providing the pictures to the phone?

The controller connects to the drone over a private Wi-Fi connection. The Wi-Fi on the phone can be switched off. It's even recommended to switch off Wi-Fi to avoid interfering with the drone <> controller signal. You should leave 3G/4G enabled so things like map overlays in the DJI Fly app work.

Yeah - airplane mode will stop the maps - and likely the controller too - I have an old android phone and old ipad mini I use for my drones.

I see there is a Mavic Mini 2 out now too - similar but much more stable connection (not wifi anymore - now same as other dji drones) and better in wind apparently.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/4/21550181/dji-mavic-mini-2-drone-4k-price-release-date-battery-life

“Roll it back”

Yeah - airplane mode will stop the maps - and likely the controller too - I have an old android phone and old ipad mini I use for my drones.

I see there is a Mavic Mini 2 out now too - similar but much more stable connection (not wifi anymore - now same as other dji drones) and better in wind apparently.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/4/21550181/dji-mavic-mini-2-drone-4k-price-release-date-battery-life

Yup. The Mini 2 launched today. The new one is €64 dearer than the outgoing model, and the fly more bundle is €100 dearer. I'd expect some serious discounts on the outgoing model on black Friday though.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    The controller connects to the drone over a private Wi-Fi connection. The Wi-Fi on the phone can be switched off. It's even recommended to switch off Wi-Fi to avoid interfering with the drone <> controller signal. You should leave 3G/4G enabled so things like map overlays in the DJI Fly app work.

Thanks for the info everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

What do you mean by airplane mode 'stops' the controller too?

• Advertisement

theothernt wrote: »
    What do you mean by airplane mode 'stops' the controller too?

Oh - There was some issues reported with Airplane Mode / BT off - if I remember right - details here->

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=211888

But then... some people who dont experience this issue say the signal strength is better with Airplane mode on... so dunno.... try it an see whats best for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lsiUgYOcvw&ab_channel=TheDisneyFive

I fly with Airplane mode off - but using old phones no-one will call me on.

“Roll it back”

Oh - There was some issues reported with Airplane Mode / BT off - if I remember right - details here->

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=211888

But then... some people who dont experience this issue say the signal strength is better with Airplane mode on... so dunno.... try it an see whats best for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lsiUgYOcvw&ab_channel=TheDisneyFive

I fly with Airplane mode off - but using old phones no-one will call me on.
    I *want* the maps though. They're very useful if the drone goes down and you need to go looking for it, and it's useful for navigation when you don't have line of sight (not that I'd ever suggest flying a drone without LOS ;)).

Hi guys. Need to send my mavic mini drone back to DJI due to a gimbal issue. Luckily enough I'm covered under the refresh policy. UPS coming on monday to pick it up. Any recommendations on how to pack it??

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Hi guys. Need to send my mavic mini drone back to DJI due to a gimbal issue. Luckily enough I'm covered under the refresh policy. UPS coming on monday to pick it up. Any recommendations on how to pack it??

I'd use loads of bubble wrap and decent box to avoid any in-transit damage, when shipping anything which is valuable I'm using 2inch rule: 2inch padding from every side :)

Could that not be sorted for free, under warranty - and save your refresh (dont you have a max refresh and have to pay when you use it?? not sure dont have refresh myself)

Anyway - original box if you have it - make sure to remove any memory card that's yours - as you wont be getting back the exact same drone.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement