Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Edinburgh chat thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It's ridiculous isn't it!! Wife was saying Morningside was snowing all day just so bizarre. Looks like tomorrow shouldn't be too bad. We better be due a dam good summer after this!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

The only thing worse than the weather is the state of the roads lately. they seem to be made of biscuits with the amount of potholes that have appeared lately

Yeah they rally have fallen apart some Jon trying to dodge them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Those potholes are absolutely lethal.
    By the way if someone gets injured driving, cycling, walking over one, the council can't be blamed if they haven't been told about it beforehand!

I've moved office so I'm at the opposite end of town now.
    Tried a new barber today ... what an experience!

Hot face towel, head, neck and shoulder massage, I was NOT expecting that!

Barbarossa on Morrison Street if anyone is looking for a barber down that end of town.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So who's planning an impromptu barbecue if Thursday's weather turns out to be as nice as promised? I'm seriously tempted, but also can't be arsed with the hassle...however, refreshing alcoholic ginger beer type beverages in the sun will most likely happen :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Taps aff lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Holy crap it's lovely out there. Just spent my lunch hour sitting in the Botanics (just round the corner from my office--what a luxury). Bliss.

Vue cinema in Livingston is £8 for a VIP seat ticket. Not bad at all.
    Generally quieter too, came in handy for Avengers today.

Finally got around to using the ODEON Lux in Wester Hailes. What a spot.
    Plush surroundings, all recliner seats. Pizza and chicken strips available, full bar and coffee shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Saw Baby Driver in the Dominion a few months back, never been to a cinema like it before. Table service, recliner seats, alcohol! If you haven't been I would advise treating yourself

Yeah, they pop up on Groupon every now and then too, which makes it even sweeter.

Complete opposite end of town for me now though, but I used to visit a lot.
    Only other caveat is that I probably wouldn't see a "traditional" blockbuster there.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

used to live next to fountainbridge and had the unlimited card in cineworld. Was great, any excuse to go there - too hot/cold outside, hungover, any reason at all. Now i'm beside a odeon and the choice of film is terrible - got their version of the unlimited card without realising how bad their choice is and have only been about 5 times this year

We have unlimited cards too have had them for years saved a fortune as we go a lot. One of the few companies where their membership system applies to Ireland too which was handy as we were back and forth a lot. When ODEON launched limitless we signed up them realised how crap their selection was too and were quick enough to be able to cancel it!

I didn't actually realise there would be a distance that vast between Odeon and the others.
    I used to be Unlimited with Cineworld too but with Vue Livingston and now this Odeon almost equidistance for me I'll just pick and choose as I go I think.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-to-rent/spacious-one-bedroom-flat-tollcross/1311179624

£920 per MONTH for a bedroom in a 2 bed flat. That's surely not the norm is it?
    That's pretty much my mortgage!

razorblunt wrote: »
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-to-rent/spacious-one-bedroom-flat-tollcross/1311179624

£920 per MONTH for a bedroom in a 2 bed flat. That's surely not the norm is it?
    That's pretty much my mortgage!

Uh....that ad reads as being for a 1-bed flat in Tollcross for 1 or 2 people. Maybe it's been changed?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still spendy for a 1-bed but Tollcross is pretty central so demand will be there. Plus this time of year people always chance their arm and ask for higher rent because so much accommodation has been taken over by Fringe stuff.

Fringe is well over by the time it's available though. They probably have it rented out at some bonkers rate for the summer too! I like how it says no students like there would be a huge amount of them at that price!

I haven't looked at rent prices in years but didn't think they'd be up at these sort of levels. For a one bed in Edinburgh you'd expecting a stunning finish but it looks pretty standard.

Ah, when I read it, it was marked as "double bed to rent in Tollcross" rather than a 1 bed!
    Makes a bit more sense. The landlord must have so many properties he's losing the run of himself!

... or herself!

jimmii wrote: »
    Fringe is well over by the time it's available though. They probably have it rented out at some bonkers rate for the summer too! I like how it says no students like there would be a huge amount of them at that price!

I haven't looked at rent prices in years but didn't think they'd be up at these sort of levels. For a one bed in Edinburgh you'd expecting a stunning finish but it looks pretty standard.

Yes, but if you've given notice (or been given notice) at the start of August you don't have a lot of choice in the matter and will be hunting while demand is bananas and availability is dreadful due to short term lets. Believe me, I know - I didn't do enough research when we move up here and was one of the suckers trying to find a place in that sort of situation a few years back :)

Based on what I saw the last time we moved flat, that price isn't particularly outrageous. I mean, if you're a normal human who has lived anywhere else (or even just seen rental prices for other similarly sized cities) it's ridiculous, but it's par for the course in Edinburgh as far as I can tell (I recall seeing a small 1-bed place about 10 mins from Haymarket that was going for more than what we're currently paying for a nice spacious 2-bed about 10 mins from the West End, for example - and that had no shortage of prospective tenants...).

• Advertisement

Decorations are up on The Dome!

They were putting them up outside our house yesterday I was like wtf lads!

They cut down all the trees in Princes Street Gardens where the Markets will be.
    Awful shame, apparently getting replaced in the Spring (2019 vs 2021 on differing accounts).

Xmas Markets are open.

Went on Sunday it was manic won't be going on a weekend day again! Same stalls as always but the foods good!

If you like getting the little mugs the only one that seemed to be doing the was the one by the door to the both bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

What is the average monthly rent around the city?

Varies hugely like most cities. In old Edinburgh it's pretty expensive but in the suburbs you can get a place in a reasonable area for not too much.

Realistically to rent a 1bed in a decent area or studio in a slightly nicer area you're looking at ~£600/month entry level and if you're looking for a nice place to live as a couple then probably ~£800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

jimmii wrote: »
    Varies hugely like most cities. In old Edinburgh it's pretty expensive but in the suburbs you can get a place in a reasonable area for not too much.

Realistically to rent a 1bed in a decent area or studio in a slightly nicer area you're looking at ~£600/month entry level and if you're looking for a nice place to live as a couple then probably ~£800.
    It’s a bit calmer than Dublin and Cork then (the rental market)?

KevinCavan wrote: »
    It’s a bit calmer than Dublin and Cork then (the rental market)?

Haven't rented in a few years so not sure how competitive it is but in Edinburgh property moves very quick on average it takes 19 days to sell a house. Prices in Edinburgh and the lothians are increasing much higher than the UK average so no doubt rent follows the same pattern. Dont forget your council tax that adds a decent chunk to your outgoings!

• Advertisement

If you want a decent 2 bed (with en suite) in a new build, within 3 miles of the city, you're looking at ~£850/£900.

East Pilton is always my benchmark for rent.
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/49738277?search_identifier=e6232d00f48b22b7fe1c9231ec3d255b

Advertisement