Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aberdeen

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Perfect thanks, i will bring my car over as there is a VRT rebate on it which makes it more cost effective than selling it and buying again when i arrive.

Due to the early/late starts + standby shifts i would like to be 15 minutes tops from the airport to cut down on commuting times.

Great advice about Torry/Altens, knowing my luck i would have ended up living there:pac:

With a car, pretty much anywhere in the city centre, Tillydrone or Bridge of Don will be fine. It's not a pretty city though, be warned! Most places look a bit slummy, including where I live.

I would suggest Rosemount as a pleasant city centre area, and you'd drive to the airport from there in 20 minutes, off-peak. When you're not working you'd have a pleasant locale and walking distance to town.

Use google maps to check the distance from any flats advertised to the airport but remember that the further south you live, the worse the traffic is getting there. Centre/centre-north of the city is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

With a car, pretty much anywhere in the city centre, Tillydrone or Bridge of Don will be fine. It's not a pretty city though, be warned! Most places look a bit slummy, including where I live.

I would suggest Rosemount as a pleasant city centre area, and you'd drive to the airport from there in 20 minutes, off-peak. When you're not working you'd have a pleasant locale and walking distance to town.

Use google maps to check the distance from any flats advertised to the airport but remember that the further south you live, the worse the traffic is getting there. Centre/centre-north of the city is the way to go.

thanks for the reply once again. i think ill book into a airbnb for a couple of weeks to get the feel of the place while looking for an apartment. I was thinking of trying to organise one before arriving but with airnbnb being such good value it is probably best not to. Rosemount was recommended to me by a friend of a friend also so ill make that top of the search list.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Dupont

What's the keenest way price wise to fly to Aberdeen. Go from Dublin or Belfast and fly into Aberdeen or somewhere close by and train over or something? Or are there cheap places to hire cars

Living here I obviously fly home multiple times a year. The cheapest simplest way is to fly direct Dublin to Aberdeen booked well in advance. Cost is around £80.

Otherwise it's v cheap to fly Ryanair to Glasgow or Edinburgh but then you have the bother and cost of a 3 hour journey to Aberdeen by bus, train or car, the cost of which can vary a lot.

Booking well in advance, for any form of transport, is how to get it cheapest here.

Skyscanner.com is good for flight cost comparison, thetrainline.com is good for train bookings and you can hire cars cheaply via your airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Hi Op,

In your opinion, would Aberdeen be worth a visit for a short break (2-3 nights)?

And if so, would you recommend any places of interest in general for a visitor to Aberdeen.

• Advertisement

chinwag wrote: »
    Hi Op,

In your opinion, would Aberdeen be worth a visit for a short break (2-3 nights)?

And if so, would you recommend any places of interest in general for a visitor to Aberdeen.

For a holiday? In my opinion, a resounding no. It is expensive, dark and totally lacking in museums, theatres, restaurants and sites of interest.

You will have a fantastic weekend in Inverness, Edinburgh or Glasgow, or even Dundee.

If you are determined to come, I have stayed in one hotel here and it was good - the Bauhaus. A great pub is Six Degrees North. Fish and chips in Stonehaven is good and Dunottar Castle is the most beautiful castle I've ever visited. That's about all I can recommend here!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Mystery Egg,
    Thanks for that helpful information, I might have a look at those alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Been living in the Aberdeen area for a year now (13 miles out from city center)
    Talk of "bleakness" is nonsense in my experience. While temperatures may be on average 5-8 degrees C less than what you'd be used to in Ireland, I find it is much drier and brighter overall. The city's architecture and history is really good. There are loads of beautiful parks too. Unlike the likes of Belfast and Dublin it's not a dirt hole with a huge quota  of decrepit people.
    The surrounding countryside is fabulous; rivers, hills, forests, valleys, rolling countryside. It's a wonderful gateway to the Highlands. If you like the outdoors - cycling, walking, flying, fishing etc.  it's a bit of a paradise.
    The locals are definitely not as out-of-the-way friendly as Irish people, but at the same time they are very docile and lacking aggression. I've never seen anyone lose the head, even when driving. A huge proportion of people there are blow-ins. I would say they are practical people (probably due to so many engineers about)
    What Aberdeen does lack is arts and culture. There is some, but it's extremely limited.  Like mentioned above, the buzz you get in the likes of Edinburgh and Glasgow is entirely absent in Aberdeen. People seem more interested in the latest model of RS Audi than entertainment culture.
    House prices are laughable. I'd say on average they are 40% dearer size-for-size with houses in Ireland. Plus, most of recent constructions (10+ years or so) are papier-mâché timber-framed crap that was flung up over a long weekend.  
    The other glaring thing is the lack of really good looking women. In a year I've never seen a total hottie. It's the  definition of average. Go to Belfast or Dublin, it's sch-wing everywhere. Aberdeen - might as well be wearing burkas as you'd never recall a face.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've only been to Aberdeen in autumn or winter, and I've got to say that it seemed pretty hard going in terms of dark and cold compared to either Edinburgh or Glasgow. That's probably compounded by the granite that's so common in the city, which looks lovely in daylight and fairly grim in the dark.

Probably doesn't help at all that the cost of living is bananas due to the bubble around rig workers' high salaries when they are ashore....

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

el tel wrote: »
    Been living in the Aberdeen area for a year now (13 miles out from city center)
    Talk of "bleakness" is nonsense in my experience. While temperatures may be on average 5-8 degrees C less than what you'd be used to in Ireland, I find it is much drier and brighter overall. The city's architecture and history is really good. There are loads of beautiful parks too. Unlike the likes of Belfast and Dublin it's not a dirt hole with a huge quota of decrepit people.
    The surrounding countryside is fabulous; rivers, hills, forests, valleys, rolling countryside. It's a wonderful gateway to the Highlands. If you like the outdoors - cycling, walking, flying, fishing etc. it's a bit of a paradise.
    The locals are definitely not as out-of-the-way friendly as Irish people, but at the same time they are very docile and lacking aggression. I've never seen anyone lose the head, even when driving. A huge proportion of people there are blow-ins. I would say they are practical people (probably due to so many engineers about)
    What Aberdeen does lack is arts and culture. There is some, but it's extremely limited. Like mentioned above, the buzz you get in the likes of Edinburgh and Glasgow is entirely absent in Aberdeen. People seem more interested in the latest model of RS Audi than entertainment culture.
    House prices are laughable. I'd say on average they are 40% dearer size-for-size with houses in Ireland. Plus, most of recent constructions (10+ years or so) are papier-mâché timber-framed crap that was flung up over a long weekend.
    The other glaring thing is the lack of really good looking women. In a year I've never seen a total hottie. It's the definition of average. Go to Belfast or Dublin, it's sch-wing everywhere. Aberdeen - might as well be wearing burkas as you'd never recall a face.

True, it's not a terrible city but it's definitely the least liveable in Scotland. Even outside of Glasgow or Edinburgh both Inverness, Dundee and the 'cities' of Stirling or Perth are better places to live than Aberdeen.

Also if it's the outdoors you're after you're not really much closer in Aberdeen than any of the others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement