Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 boobazingaboo

I am looking for 15 inch display and atleast 6 GB RAM.
    Could anyone please recommend me a laptop?

My original post:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058091206/1/#post113875288

Thank you

What are you planning on using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am looking for recommendations for a laptop that would meet a teachers need, especially given the fact teaching will be done remotely in the coming months. Be able to use video conferencing software smoothly.
    What are you planning on using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 boobazingaboo

I am looking for recommendations for a laptop that would meet a teachers need, especially given the fact teaching will be done remotely in the coming months. Be able to use video conferencing software smoothly.

Alright, have you got a budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

Looking for a 16 gb ram,SSD,needed for light gaming,Netflix and photos,around 700 euro mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yes, 700 is my budget.

Thank you
    Alright, have you got a budget in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

Xiaomi Redmibook 14 Ryzen Edition 14 Inch FHD Screen AMD Ryzen7 3700U Quad Core 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD Windows 10.0 Home how is this laptop
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmibook-14-Ryzen-Edition-16GB-512GB-Windows-10-0-Silver-422351.html

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ebeanz

Looking for a new laptop that can be used for occasional gaming with a budget of between €600 - €1,000

The sort of spec games would be

Minimum:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor: Core i3-2100 3.10 GHz
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: Geforce GTX 650 Ti
    Storage: 25 GB available space
    Sound Card: Onboard

Recommended:
    Processor: AMD FX-8320 8-Core
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: Radeon R7 370

I've been told to get i5 or AMD Ryzen 7, dedicated graphics card with 4gb ram and 16gb ram (this pushes the price up so wondering if I'd get away with 8gb?)

Really appreciate some help as I've no idea what to look for.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

What's your experience been like with delivery from UPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

ebeanz wrote: »
    Looking for a new laptop that can be used for occasional gaming with a budget of between €600 - €1,000

Minimum:

Recommended:

I've been told to get i5 or AMD Ryzen 7, dedicated graphics card with 4gb ram and 16gb ram (this pushes the price up so wondering if I'd get away with 8gb?)

Thanks

Avoid a laptop if you want a gaming machine, it reduces the lifespan of the laptop and removes the ability to upgrade components in the future. For that budget you can get a pretty decent desktop and peripherals. The members over on this board are extremely knowledgeable and helpful:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

To the above post regarding UPS delivery, I've personally found them to be the worst available.

Doff wrote: »
    Avoid a laptop if you want a gaming machine, it reduces the lifespan of the laptop and removes the ability to upgrade components in the future. For that budget you can get a pretty decent desktop and peripherals. The members over on this board are extremely knowledgeable and helpful:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

If they want to use it for occasional gaming, then they probably need a new laptop but would like the added benefit of being able to play a game every now and then. :)

• Advertisement

ebeanz wrote: »

Minimum:

Recommended:

Thanks

decent option for 700 £. easy to add ram later and more storage if required.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Wide-View-GeForce-Graphics-Windows/dp/B085P2921Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

or if you want to get a more powerful gpu (more future proofed in terms of playing future games for longer) and probably better all around unit for £ 900 (use parcel motel, addresspal etc). sterling low at the moment so not a bad time to buy

https://www.box.co.uk/NH.Q7PEK.001-Acer-Nitro-5_2934862.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Ordered one of these two weeks ago. Delivery is now estimated to be the end of July. So about 6 weeks vs the 2 to 3 weeks suggested when ordering - probably due to covid 19.
    Just something to factor in if you are in a rush.

I was supposed to have it delivered Thursday via UPS, it says out for delivery, then it said Friday, then Monday, now it says in transit.
    Desperate service and the online reviews for them are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

shardylan wrote: »
    Well wasn’t working for me will try on another tablet
    How did you get on?

I logged in with the Rewards section but it will not let me apply the 10% discount code from the Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

How did you get on?

I logged in with the Rewards section but it will not let me apply the 10% discount code from the Newsletter

Took me about 7/8 times but eventually got it .No idea why took that much

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Did you get 20% off in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Doff wrote: »
    To the above post regarding UPS delivery, I've personally found them to be the worst available.
    UPS are pretty bad - Fastway are worse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭chrisd2019

tphase wrote: »
    UPS are pretty bad - Fastway are worse.....

Fastway not improved then since my disaster with them 2 years ago.
    3 weeks and 20 phonecalls to get a box sent from Cork to Dublin.

In the end the staff in customer service (all 3 of them), knew my voice after just saying hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    Fastway not improved then since my disaster with them 2 years ago.
    3 weeks and 20 phonecalls to get a box sent from Cork to Dublin.

In the end the staff in customer service (all 3 of them), knew my voice after just saying hello.

They are even worse now. It is not possible to contact them by phone, they only use email and it takes them 5 days to reply to a mail. I have refused to complete some purchases because the suppliers have said they use fastway.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭McSim

shardylan wrote: »
    Took me about 7/8 times but eventually got it .No idea why took that much
    I was not able to combine the discounts, tried many times, different laptop configs, different browsers.
    It is either code from email or rewards code from page 2 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

UPS status updated to delivered but no sign of the delivery :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

McSim wrote: »
    I was not able to combine the discounts, tried many times, different laptop configs, different browsers.
    It is either code from email or rewards code from page 2 for me.

Same reported on HUKD. Apparently the double discount is gone.

all good things must come to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Anyone looking for one: 14", Intel i5 model cheaper at the moment than AMD 4500.

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series-1/IdeaPad-5-14IIL05/p/88IPS501390

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭chrisd2019

bergipau wrote: »
    They are even worse now. It is not possible to contact them by phone, they only use email and it takes them 5 days to reply to a mail. I have refused to complete some purchases because the suppliers have said they use fastway.

They have a "secret" customer service number for commercial business customers, that was the number I used, as the company I work for at the time was a customer, I could not understand why our customers were not ringing us about the bad experiences.
    At the time that number was buried deep in their website.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    UPS status updated to delivered but no sign of the delivery :(

They had delivered it to the wrong address yesterday.They said they got a signature and everything.

When I called the guy on the phone was pretty poor, saying I'd have to go to Lenovo to get them to raise an investigation request. I did this and they said the investigation would take 8 days.

I called UPS again later on and got someone much more helpful and called the Dublin depot, someone had called saying they got a package not intended for them so UPS finally delivered it to me today.

So a day late, not too bad though since the original timeframe said 2-3 weeks and was ordered on June 20th and was quoted 2-3 weeks before it ships.

Machine itself looks good, all-metal body, not too much in the way of bloatware to be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 inyourp

adrian522 wrote: »
    They had delivered it to the wrong address yesterday.They said they got a signature and everything.

When I called the guy on the phone was pretty poor, saying I'd have to go to Lenovo to get them to raise an investigation request. I did this and they said the investigation would take 8 days.

I called UPS again later on and got someone much more helpful and called the Dublin depot, someone had called saying they got a package not intended for them so UPS finally delivered it to me today.

So a day late, not too bad though since the original timeframe said 2-3 weeks and was ordered on June 20th and was quoted 2-3 weeks before it ships.

Machine itself looks good, all-metal body, not too much in the way of bloatware to be removed.

Well strange you got yours so quick and I ordered on 11th June and have September delivery - I decided to buy HP x360 4700U laptop, and will ask for 30% discount when Lenovo one comes, if they refuse I will just return it. But thats mine 700 euro they are keeping from June - September, interest free. I wanted extra protection with paypal but it did backfire as paypal charge is taken straight away, direct with credit card isn't.

I ordered the 12th and received it earlier this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Abiya041

Do Lenovo.ie have promo codes /deals often. A good few days ago I used a code on a desktop and tower and it decreased the price by 200 but now its back to normal price. First times on the site. Want to know if they do regular promotions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Abiya041 wrote: »
    Do Lenovo.ie have promo codes /deals often. A good few days ago I used a code on a desktop and tower and it decreased the price by 200 but now its back to normal price. First times on the site. Want to know if they do regular promotions

Yup, always doing something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement