Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Post Mobile do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

GoMo is owned by Eir, so I wonder would it be worthwhile getting a free Eir sim and checking how they fare? (In terms of coverage I mean...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

What, if any, are the downsides to 48? Can you skip a month or is it a contract that you commit to and, if so, how long?

48 is PAYG only.

48 forum with common FAQs etc...
    https://community.48.ie/

Having the same coverage as 3 means possible congestion at peak times due to 3's unlimited data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks. I will most likely get family Spotify eventually as I would miss it.
    Just looked at 48 there. The 20gb membership would do me. I gather then that you just buy call minutes as an add on?
    What's the coverage like?

I'm on the 40gb plan for 15 euro. Signal is solid 4g for me ( South Meath at home and South Dublin for work) It's great the way you can stack memberships too. On next due date I'll. Top up by 30 and not worry about it for 2 months. Streaming the United match at the moment via mobile hot-spot too :D Really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Thanks. I will most likely get family Spotify eventually as I would miss it.
    Just looked at 48 there. The 20gb membership would do me. I gather then that you just buy call minutes as an add on?
    What's the coverage like?

With the 9.99 plan you get 20GB data, 300 call minutes to ROI landline & mobiles and 300 texts. Coverage is same as 3, as its their network 48 are on. If you need more than 300 mins a month, then you can buy a call add on if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

Sorry for coming late to the thread but why are people jumping ship from this deal are Vodafone not giving the unlimited data anymore as I was going to take deal up shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭theintern

Spotify and the Sky Sports options are going away. That's why people are leaving.

Vodafone have also mentioned that the unlimited data is limited to a speed of 10Mbps. However, this doesn't seem to be actually happening, so I'm staying put.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

theintern wrote: »
    Spotify and the Sky Sports options are going away. That's why people are leaving.

Vodafone have also mentioned that the unlimited data is limited to a speed of 10Mbps. However, this doesn't seem to be actually happening, so I'm staying put.

I switched few days ago to vodafone x from smart extra plan and no restrictions on speeds so, constantly getting 80 + download, had gomo for few months and their speeds were ridiculously slow, same area, ie lucky to get 2mb downloads with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Snotty wrote: »
    Got the text and would consider moving but I do think Vodafones coverage is worth a premium. My in laws have a holiday home in the arse hole of nowhere and no one (gomo, eir business, 3, tesco) has coverage there by me, and I have 4 bars on 4G.

Also, I was on 48 network for about 5 years before Vodafone, brilliant service and value

VF is the business for coverage but this throttling back speeds leaves a sour taste in my mouth

Snotty wrote: »
    Got the text and would consider moving but I do think Vodafones coverage is worth a premium. My in laws have a holiday home in the arse hole of nowhere and no one (gomo, eir business, 3, tesco) has coverage there by me, and I have 4 bars on 4G.

Also, I was on 48 network for about 5 years before Vodafone, brilliant service and value

VF is the business for coverage but this throttling back speeds leaves a sour taste in my mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Switched from Vodafone to 48. Speeds of 240Mb today. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

Are Vodafone taking Spotify away across the board on all offers? I wonder can we pay the standard Spotify price from Vodafone credit in the same way you can pay for services such as YouTube Premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

Can anyone who has ported over to Vodafone tell me how long it took please?

I'm due to give 3 €20 on monday for another month but I was wondering could I port over between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

draoicht wrote: »

I'm due to give 3 €20 on monday for another month but I was wondering could I port over between now and then.
    if your on payg you can move to any provider at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

You'll need Vodafone sim, to port, quickest way would probably be to go to one of their stores,

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

shanec1928 wrote: »
    if your on payg you can move to any provider at any time.
    You'll need Vodafone sim, to port, quickest way would probably be to go to one of their stores,

Thanks all, yeah I'll take a trip into Henry St. tomorrow and port over in the shop.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thanks all, yeah I'll take a trip into Henry St. tomorrow and port over in the shop.
    Be warned that if you're on the older 3 AYCE plan (where you keep all your top-up credit), you won't be able to port back to it again so be very sure about leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Anyone using this in a sim free router any problems ? Thinking about replacing my three sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Nolars wrote: »
    Anyone using this in a sim free router any problems ? Thinking about replacing my three sim.

Yip being doing this for last 6 months. Works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Networks-Genuine-Warranty-Network/dp/B08235ZNPV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Despite the message that i now was limited to 10Mbps, I got 178Mbps download, 64Mbps upload this afternoon. Mast was on the next hill maybe 2 or 3 km away. Logo showed as 4G+

• Advertisement

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Despite the message that i now was limited to 10Mbps, I got 178Mbps download, 64Mbps upload this afternoon. Mast was on the next hill maybe 2 or 3 km away. Logo showed as 4G+

Don't worry it'll go down mine was absolutely pathetic today,now ok again, but they're obviously throttling back when they want

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Don't worry it'll go down mine was absolutely pathetic today,now OK again, but they're obviously throttling back when they want

Just because yours was bad today doesn't mean it has anything to do with being throttled .. You must remember your not the only one connecting to mast which your on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Having been on the old data user plan with Vodafone for some time ( 20€ per 28 days for all calls, texts, 15gb data and 100 international mins), I got a call with offer to switch to bill pay On a 12mth contract (does not have to be direct debit but suits me) offering smart extra plan I think it was called.... 25gb, all calls texts and 50 international for 25€ per mth with first month free. So 11 payments x €25 as opposed 13 x €20. Purely for the convenience and extra data, I took a chance. Speed test in 4G area shows approx 100/50 dl & ul speeds. Let’s see how it goes.

robbiep958 wrote: »
    Just because yours was bad today doesn't mean it has anything to do with being throttled .. You must remember your not the only one connecting to mast which your on!

I understand that, as I'm also with VF Siro for years, but VF on lots of forums have been accused of same, and I fully believe it, I've sometimes v early starts, live in a 4G area - speed test daily and can categorically state in my opinion VF do throttle back speeds,
    my reference to early starts kills your point about possibly lots of others sharing local masts surely? As most people don't start work at 5/6 in the morning or would be surfing the net at those times

What apn do I use in modem I used live.vodaphone.com & left password & username blank it don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭theintern

dodzy wrote: »
    Having been on the old data user plan with Vodafone for some time ( 20€ per 28 days for all calls, texts, 15gb data and 100 international mins), I got a call with offer to switch to bill pay On a 12mth contract (does not have to be direct debit but suits me) offering smart extra plan I think it was called.... 25gb, all calls texts and 50 international for 25€ per mth with first month free. So 11 payments x €25 as opposed 13 x €20. Purely for the convenience and extra data, I took a chance. Speed test in 4G area shows approx 100/50 dl & ul speeds. Let’s see how it goes.

Are you sure that's what you got? The Smart Extra plan is 20GB, with free **VF** calls. Not all calls.

And it's top up every 4 weeks, so 28 days just like this plan. I'd check what you've signed up for.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans.html

What apn do I use in modem I used live.vodaphone.com & left password & username blank it don't work.

Is that a typo or exactly as entered in the router?

It should be...

live.vodafone.com

Does it work in a phone? And does it allow tethering from the phone?

Does it show signal level and an IP address in the router?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is that a typo or exactly as entered in the router?

It should be...

live.vodafone.com

Does it work in a phone? And does it allow tethering from the phone?

Does it show signal level and an IP address in the router?

Sorry your right i got it going with right spelling in modem it worked straight away in phone with the hs. apn but i used the live.vodafone.com in modem

Sorry your right i got it going with right spelling in modem it worked straight away in phone with the hs. apn but i used the live.vodafone.com in modem

The HS APN is chargeable so delete that from any device with a Vodafone phone plan SIM. If you had credit then check if any got consumed using HS APN. Live APN is the one to use with any phone data plans on VF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

theintern wrote: »
    Are you sure that's what you got? The Smart Extra plan is 20GB, with free **VF** calls. Not all calls.

And it's top up every 4 weeks, so 28 days just like this plan. I'd check what you've signed up for.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans.html

Must be wrong about the name, but I’m 100% on the detail. And it’s 25€ per month, not every 28days. I opted for direct debit as the DIY Topup was inconvenient.

Advertisement