Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Promotion Code - Irish Ferries / Stena Line

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Would be most grateful for any promo codes for Irish Ferries/Stena over to UK for travel at the end of the month/start of July if any knocking about?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭wait4me

I would be grateful if anybody could share a valid code that might work for an October 2020 booking, (COVID will hopefully have passed....by then, I hope!).

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

Hello . Just wondering if any updated stena codes are around? Thanks

daesal wrote: »

Not sure about Stena but 20ISAG still working this afternoon on Irish Ferries Dub- Holyhead rtn the week before Christmas

• Advertisement

Limbo123 wrote: »
    Not sure about Stena but 20ISAG still working this afternoon on Irish Ferries Dub- Holyhead rtn the week before Christmas
    Great. Thanks for quick reply.
    I find Irish Ferries very very difficult to deal with since March,and very tricky to get a refund on cancellations due to covid.
    If possible I would prefer to use Stena. It's a shame, I have used IF for years but their customer service is terrible these days...and it used to be great!

daesal wrote: »
    Great. Thanks for quick reply.
    I find Irish Ferries very very difficult to deal with since March,and very tricky to get a refund on cancellations due to covid.
    If possible I would prefer to use Stena. It's a shame, I have used IF for years but their customer service is terrible these days...and it used to be great!

Just off Facebook chat with Stena. No discounts/offers. You would think being a far larger company and with the current pandemic, they would offer some sort of incentive to poach customers from IF.
    The price difference would more than cover my fuel costs from Ireland to East London and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just off Facebook chat with Stena. No discounts/offers. You would think being a far larger company and with the current pandemic, they would offer some sort of incentive to poach customers from IF.
    The price difference would more than cover my fuel costs from Ireland to East London and back.

There are no customers to poach. I travel every couple of months from Rosslare and 20 cars would be a busy overnight crossing returning during the daytime not seen more that 40 in recent months. At the beginning of the pandemic halve or even quarter those numbers.

The money has to be in the freight which seems to have increased over the years at least on the Rosslare crossing where the car deck is now normally half full of lorries.

Wake me up when it's all over.

There are no customers to poach. I travel every couple of months from Rosslare and 20 cars would be a busy overnight crossing returning during the daytime not seen more that 40 in recent months. At the beginning of the pandemic halve or even quarter those numbers.

The money has to be in the freight which seems to have increased over the years at least on the Rosslare crossing where the car deck is now normally half full of lorries.

There are Irish Ferries customers to poach. Both Irish Ferry and Stena ferries tend to leave 5 or 10 mins apart from Dublin and Holyhead. Stena is the much larger of the two companies yet Irish Ferries have an active promotional code and the fares are slightly cheaper too (even without the promo code) on the dates I have looked at.
    The crossings I have made during the pandemic were busy enough. I can imagine it will be even busier in the run up to Christmas as people will probably feel safer having a bit of space on a ferry than being cooped up on a plane.

There are Irish Ferries customers to poach. Both Irish Ferry and Stena ferries tend to leave 5 or 10 mins apart from Dublin and Holyhead. Stena is the much larger of the two companies yet Irish Ferries have an active promotional code and the fares are slightly cheaper too (even without the promo code) on the dates I have looked at.
    The crossings I have made during the pandemic were busy enough. I can imagine it will be even busier in the run up to Christmas as people will probably feel safer having a bit of space on a ferry than being cooped up on a plane.
    I dont think Stena need to do any poaching...Some Irish Ferries staff and the IF "grab as much money as you can and make refunds impossible" policy is doing a great job getting rid of their customers all by themselves :):)

From my experience of Irish Ferries this year I dont mind paying a bit more and going with Stena. At least I know my "flexible" booking will be honoured and they wont keep my money if I do want to change anything in these unforeseeable times.

I travel for work and have used Irish Ferries as my No.1 for at least 10 years but their new policy and rudeness from some of the staff in Dublin Port and online has made me change my preference completely. I have had the misfortune to have an Irish Ferries booking this year, and the joy to have made 4 Stena crossings! I have to travel in the next couple of days again,and even though the Irish Ferries sailing times suit me better I will still get Stena. .... I never thought I would say that! :)

• Advertisement

Dont get me wrong, not everyone in IF is bad or rude. Just to address the balance . I came across 3 helpful people...in 4 months. But they were courteous and tried to be helpful but IF policy said their hands were tied.

With Irish Ferries if you don't pay the extra €16 each way then you are screwed if you want to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Huza91

Has anyone come across any discount codes by any chance?

Nah noting I've seen and I tend to keep an eye out.

I've found with the prices going up and Irish Ferries being so keen to keep your money that I now just book on the day of travel.

Last week came over to the UK 7 cars on the ferry. More uniform staff in the passenger areas of the ship than actual passengers.

For my next "trick" I'll try and get back to Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Huza91

Nah noting I've seen and I tend to keep an eye out.

I've found with the prices going up and Irish Ferries being so keen to keep your money that I now just book on the day of travel.

Last week came over to the UK 7 cars on the ferry. More uniform staff in the passenger areas of the ship than actual passengers.

For my next "trick" I'll try and get back to Ireland :(

Yeah I'm thinking of sticking with Stena as they're cheaper, I prefer the lounge and it gets to Holyhead first at the time I want.

Can I ask, did you get stopped in Holyhead and if so, what happened?

Pembroke Dock for me, nothing but the normal police stop nationality question and request for reason for travel mine was well documented and within the rules so no problem. Also got a fairly scripted question about having money over £1000 and offensive weapons but nothing I hadn't heard before.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭feargantae

Edit: Posted in the wrong forum, no idea how i managed that but somehow i did! Sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Since covid I don't book in advance anymore but the problem is you loose out on that early booking discount (if it still exists). I won't pay the extra to allow for cancellation etc and instead book on the day just before travelling.

The problem with that is I'm paying more than double what I used to. Two years ago I could get over an back for €170 booking in advance when there was a discount offer. Same trips (same days and sailings) cost €400 booked on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

We're looking at travelling to the UK in August. In past years IF / Stena have had sales discounting fares by up to 30% from January

With such a short lead in time to this summer, I can't believe the boats are anywhere near full, yet there are no sales or coupon codes to be found anywhere.

At some point, one of them will buckle and discount their fares to fill their ships - but how far into August is this going to be?

We're looking at €550 return for a car +3 at the moment. I've never paid anything like that before.

• Advertisement

There have been no codes since Covid started not seem one in 18 months. I'm signed up for both companies to get any codes but all I get is advertising.

I'd guess prices have gone up by at least 25 %.

Cheapest fares tend to be the overnight ones on Tuesday and Wednesdays.

What route you sailing on?

It didn't surprise me that there were no discounts to be had during Covid - they didn't want to be seen to encourage travel against government advice not to do so.

We're travelling Dublin to Holyhead. Out and back at family friendly (daytime) sailings at weekends. Travelling overnight midweek is not an option.

Flying is still reasonably priced, but car rentals aren't great if you need one.

If IF's Swift does restart as scheduled in early August, this should add significant capacity and increase the likelihood of a sale in the next few days.

Ferries a couple of weeks earlier on the same days / at the same times as the ones we are looking at are only about another €20 more whereas a 20%-30% potential sale reduction would cut the price substantially. The upside risk of not booking until closer and being able to take advantage of a sale, is, I think much better than the downside risk of there being no sale and having to pay slightly more. The passing of time also allows other options to come to light (eg flying / car rental) that you can't take advantage of if you book too soon.

I don't know what its like on that route but Rosslare Pembroke has been almost empty in 5 trips during covid haven't seen more than 24 cars on the ferry. Last trip was a getting near a month back and I noticed something like 16 going to the UK and nearly 200 cars for the other ferry going to France.

I think if there is to be a ferry sale, it will happen in the next couple of days, ie by cob Friday.

This will be just in time for the Bank Holiday weekend and stimulate demand for the last full month of the summer for those who haven't already made plans.

At the end of the day, it's about the ferry companies maximising revenue over the last few weeks of the high season, and whether that's having fewer passengers paying more or more passengers paying less and using both recent and historical booking data, they'll have a pretty good idea which is likely to work out best for them.

Post edited by Rock Steady Edy on

I doubt there will be any discounts this year. With the general covid hassles over travel only people that need to travel will be going to the UK on the ferries. The ferries to France are a different matter, that is nearly all tourist holiday money so maybe something to fight over but even then I doubt it.

I called the Irish Ferries office earlier today as I was trying to do a mock booking to see the final price of a return trip, but I was getting stuck when trying to enter the car make and model. I was waiting on the phone for about 15-20 mins. Not as bad as Eir last year, but not great.

I was told that the car issue had existed "for weeks" and to enter "TBA" in both to progress to the next screen (and to phone them up and advise at a later stage). This worked.

I asked what the level of bookings were like and was told that were quite a few bookings but also quite a lot of cancellations too.

IF, you might want to fix the car issue to reduce call waiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I had a look the other day and it looks like they are cancelling the fast ferry and Epsilon and running just Ulysses some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

No current offers on foot passengers it seems. €40 each way from IF/SL, more expensive than flying I think 😑

Just returned from a car trip to the UK. Travelled on daytime weekend sailings and loadings were light, maybe 25-30% capacity, and this was described as busier than most sailings by duty free shop staff. Virtually no HGVs on the ferry - not sure if this was because it was the weekend or Brexit related.

Expensive trip and administratively cumbersome to return with all the Passenger Locator forms and PCR tests to complete for unvaccinated passengers, so can't see a return trip on the cards until both of these issues are ironed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fernagx

Hi,

I was supposed to travel to the UK with Irish Ferries in 2020 but my plans got disrupted due to Covid. Irish Ferries did not give me a refund but gave me a credit voucher instead. However, they said that the voucher has to be used by 31 Dec 2021.

I'm not planning to travel to the Uk this year. Therefore, would anyone be willing to purchase the voucher from me? The credit is €470.

Advertisement