Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,120 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The LGBTQWEYHJSHGKDKLMNIY+%@%#!^&$*÷^#?(×^÷* is a globalist agenda. I think Ireland would be even more progressive if we did our thing and rejected these agendas which strive to take away anything unique or induvidual plenty of countries haven't bowed down to this nonsense and you wouldn't call them backward.

george soros, amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

A whole month of cringe?

Nope.

Have you made your anti-Pride religious protest poster yet? Have you chosen the colours, remember to leave out the rainbow colour! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

george soros, amirite?

When did I mention George Soros? All I'm saying is gays should keep their sexuality to themselves not go around banging the LGBT drum you know just like straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

JupiterKid wrote: »
    to show solidarity with LGBT people in intolerant and oppressive regimes around the world.

This is a genuine question, and I hope I'm not derailing the thread. Someone asked similar earlier and it was just dismissed.

Why do the LGBTQ community regularly show such strong support for Islam and Muslim groups. Even though Islamic views on homosexuality range from "its sinful" on the moderate scale to "hang them from buildings" on the radical scale.

I genuinely don't understand it.

When did I mention George Soros? All I'm saying is gays should keep their sexuality to themselves not go around banging the LGBT drum you know just like straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.

Straight people don't get beaten up for being straight, they can hold hands walking down the street unlike gay people.

If a straight pride happened, it'll be filled with male "masculine offended" marchers which in irony would like a gay march :D (perhaps they finally show their sensitive side! :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

No I will be avoiding everything related to pride. I treat gays like every other person I meet. I will not put gays on a pedestal and treat them like they're different to straight people. I also don't support corps using gay people as a tool to make money. Shame on them.

If gay people are bullied, attacked etc, the law is there to protect them. We have voted for marriage equality. Ireland is a place where gays are widely accepted as equal and I think it's absolutely stupid that you'd need to have a parade for people to know gays are supported.

Racism exists in the gaa at underage levels...why aren't the GAA doing a black pride march for them?

Irish people were victims of racism in the UK and still are yet I don't see any Irish Pride marches there?

I know gay lads who are dead sound and are just like everyone else. Then I see a lot of gay lads acting like being gay is an identity....like Daffyd from Little Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

DrPhilG wrote: »
    This is a genuine question, and I hope I'm not derailing the thread. Someone asked similar earlier and it was just dismissed.

Why do the LGBTQ community regularly show such strong support for Islam and Muslim groups. Even though Islamic views on homosexuality range from "its sinful" on the moderate scale to "hang them from buildings" on the radical scale.

I genuinely don't understand it.

Me either

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-48580310

Cant the kids just learn about different relationships, obviously not if it is against the teachings of the once great muhammad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So this is just gonna turn into another Muslim thread I take it? Like the gay women on the bus one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

klaaaz wrote: »
    Have you made your anti-Pride religious protest poster yet? Have you chosen the colours, remember to leave out the rainbow colour! :rolleyes:

Do you go out of your way to look to be oppressed or something? :pac:

“Pride month” is nothing more than the promotion of a particular political viewpoint, fcukall to do with being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. As I’ve told you before, I used to be involved in organising Pride parades, but when I didn’t agree with their politics any more, I no longer wanted to be involved.

As it happens, I actually don’t know that many people who have any interest in political rallying masquerading as a Pride event these days, it’s just another tacky effort to sell tacky merch like flegs and feather boas to people who are into that sort of thing. I wouldn’t assume that people by virtue of their sex, sexual orientation or gender share a hive mind, any more than I would assume people who are religious are all bigots. As your post demonstrates there are many ways in which people are bigots.

Seven colours in the rainbow btw, which is why the rainbow was chosen as a symbol of the political movement - meant to imply acceptance of all people, not just those of a certain political bent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

klaaaz wrote: »
    Straight people don't get beaten up for being straight, they can hold hands walking down the street unlike gay people.

If a straight pride happened, it'll be filled with male "masculine offended" marchers which in irony would like a gay march :D (perhaps they finally show their sensitive side! :pac:)

And the vast majority that go around beating up gays are Muslims guess what the same people that support pride will support Muslim immigration into the west sort of ironic. All ii am saying is homosexuality should be accepted but not promoted or embraced. Some people don't agree with it and their perfectly entitled to that as long as they hurt anyone.

The whole straight pride idea was a piss take and a joke that some lefties took offence to.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    So this is just gonna turn into another Muslim thread I take it? Like the gay women on the bus one.

That's not my intention, I asked a simple question that should hopefully have a simple answer. There was no gay-bashing and no Muslim-bashing in the question and I wouldn't expect any in the reply.

And the vast majority that go around beating up gays are Muslims

Have you a source for that?

And the vast majority that go around beating up gays are Muslims

Well it wasn't my intention, but I may have opened the door for others...

Apologies. I was genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m waiting for the straight month to celebrate. Anyone know when that is??

You can have one of these if you like...

cuh_tweet_2.jpg?resize=430%2C361&ssl=1

you can pick any one of january, february, march, etc. Hell, pick them all.

Well normally the same posters that have issues with homosexuals, so maybe yes, like moths to a flame until the mods get tired dealing with the rereg/duplicate accounts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭This is it

Is this for a month, annually?

This is it wrote: »

would it bother you if it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Zaph wrote: »
    A Pride network for LGBTQ staff is being launched where I work this month. I'm not gay, but I'll go to the launch because I feel it's important that my colleagues who are know that they have the support of the non-LGBTQ majority in the company. I hope there's plenty of others who feel the same, although I know there are bound to be some who are not particularly comfortable with "the gays".

That's all well and good... But a fooking month of it??

A Saturday afternoon is more than adequate in this day and age IMHO.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    That's all well and good... But a fooking month of it??

A Saturday afternoon was more than adequate in this day and age IMHO.

you know you are not obliged to do anything, right? it could on for a year and it would make **** all difference to your life so why moan about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭This is it

would it bother you if it was?

Why would it bother me?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This is it wrote: »

Only since companies realised they could make some money from it

Most people only do something the weekend of the parade and most of those events are the Friday or Saturday

you know you are not obliged to do anything, right? it could on for a year and it would make **** all difference to your life so why moan about it?

Yeah, it's not like people are pressurised into attending events etc because of the need to be 'on message'.

Do you go out of your way to look to be oppressed or something? :pac:

“Pride month” is nothing more than the promotion of a particular political viewpoint, fcukall to do with being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. As I’ve told you before, I used to be involved in organising Pride parades, but when I didn’t agree with their politics any more, I no longer wanted to be involved.

As it happens, I actually don’t know that many people who have any interest in political rallying masquerading as a Pride event these days, it’s just another tacky effort to sell tacky merch like flegs and feather boas to people who are into that sort of thing. I wouldn’t assume that people by virtue of their sex, sexual orientation or gender share a hive mind, any more than I would assume people who are religious are all bigots. As your post demonstrates there are many ways in which people are bigots.

Seven colours in the rainbow btw, which is why the rainbow was chosen as a symbol of the political movement - meant to imply acceptance of all people, not just those of a certain political bent.

That's excellent news One Eyed Jack that you've turned a corner and won't be holding up your protest sign at the Pride, it makes me as a LGBT ally not to look out for you on the day! Strangely I have never met you in the organising sphere of Dublin Pride(assuming you are in the big schmoke :) )

Not sure what you on about on the political front but i'd agree that there is uneasy tension within the community about corporates taking over Pride full of non-LGBT marchers(while ignoring disabled access) plus the recently separate Trans Pride to get away from the corporate takeover.

Stark wrote: »
    I usually do the 5km run in the Phoenix Park, good fun.

Keep an eye out for Labour Party TDs after dark.

you need to come up with some newer material

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The auld Stagg in the park ya see.

you need to come up with some newer material

Keating/Kennedy?

• Advertisement

A day or a weekend, not my thing but meh, whatever. A whole month now? It’s a bit ridiculous. How can we normalise something generally when such a spectacle is made of it by *some* LGBTQ folks, their friends/families, activists and worst of all the corporate whores looking to capitalise on it?

I show my support to my gay friends and family by treating them just like my straight friends and family. And I don’t celebrate anyone’s sexuality or their right to love, marry or shag whoever they want. Not my business, either way. So no, I won’t be participating.

Advertisement