Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School conversion

Options
  • 05-07-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi everyone,

Would someone be able to advise me on the advantages or indeed pitfalls of converting a commercial property into a residential one. Particularly a rural school that has been closed for 5 years.
    I’ve been given first refusal on the property and as a first time buyer I am interested as the building is in good condition having been renovated approx 10 years ago and is being offered at just below €100K.
    My concern lies with the planning permission side of things and where I would stand with getting services set up again for the property.
    Also where would I stand regarding a mortgage? Would it be a case of getting approval subject to planning as if it were a site? And if this is the case would the “ house” then be considered a new build?
    A lot of questions but any advice would be much appreciated.

Please feel free to move as appropriate. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Local planning agent.
    Pre planning meeting.

Planners love recycled buildings so I don’t think planning will be a problem.
    Cost wise, bringing it up to NZEB standards will be a job but if you can utilise as much of the existing structure as possible it will reduce that cost side of things.

Cleaner architectural design required.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bull McCabe.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Local planning agent.
    Pre planning meeting.

Planners love recycled buildings so I don’t think planning will be a problem.
    Cost wise, bringing it up to NZEB standards will be a job but if you can utilise as much of the existing structure as possible it will reduce that cost side of things.

Cleaner architectural design required.

Thanks Gumbo.

I would anticipate that most of the work needed is interior. The main structure including roof and flat roof extension are sound. They were added during the renovation 10 years ago so I would be hoping to use the main structure as is and just reconfiguring the internal walls to accommodate bedrooms etc.
    when you refer to NZEB requirements what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

NZEB is the new Part L building regs which will apply as its a major reno

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

So I’m probably looking at external wall insulation all round, spray foam in the attic space and swapping out the existing double glazing for triple glazed? What would be the best option for heating?

So I’m probably looking at external wall insulation all round, spray foam in the attic space and swapping out the existing double glazing for triple glazed? What would be the best option for heating?

Preliminary BER required. That will tell you what’s required.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info.
    Would anybody know,
    If I were to get change of use planning permission granted, would it then be classed as a new build seeing as nobody has ever lived there or renovation of an old building.
    In each scenario, which one would be of more benefit to me in the way of SEAI grants etc.

Thanks for all the info.
    Would anybody know,
    If I were to get change of use planning permission granted, would it then be classed as a new build seeing as nobody has ever lived there or renovation of an old building.
    In each scenario, which one would be of more benefit to me in the way of SEAI grants etc.

Its not a new build.
    Its a change of use and material alteration.

You may actually be able to apply to your local Building control Office for some exemptions on some regs that may be deemed to hard to meet.

Also, have a look at this Bringing back homes Document.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/bringing_back_homes_final.pdf

Advertisement