Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Chess Congress 2015 Cancelled

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Well obviously its because he is such a pleasant and unassuming person who spreads joy and sows harmony wherever he goes and everybody here is heartless and cruel.
    I hear that when he castles queenside, a heavenly chorus can be heard, and that he once promoted to a unicorn.
    Re Galway what I can't understand is why the organisers just dont go ahead and hold the tournament anyway. Does anybody really care if the ICU rate it or not?
    I do care, though it wouldn't have stopped me playing, especially under the circumstances. However, it may have affected the viability of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭RQ_ennis_chess

Well can only speak for myself but if it were FIDE rated it would be an inducement to play in it but with 3 rounds in a day it can't be. I couldn't care less whether the ICU rate it or not and wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the tournament in any way.
    I could understand how someone who had a really good result might be miffed at not getting any rating points but does it really matter that much that it is necessary to cancel the tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Well can only speak for myself but if it were FIDE rated it would be an inducement to play in it but with 3 rounds in a day it can't be. I couldn't care less whether the ICU rate it or not and wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the tournament in any way.
    I could understand how someone who had a really good result might be miffed at not getting any rating points but does it really matter that much that it is necessary to cancel the tournament?

If all players in a tournament are under 2200 rated . fide rated games can be as short as 90 minutes for each player ( no increments) time frame or 60 min+ 30 secs , so you can easily have 3 games in one day. Why don't you run galway congress as you are in locality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

sinbad68 wrote: »
    If all players in a tournament are under 2200 rated . fide rated games can be as short as 90 minutes for each player ( no increments) time frame or 60 min+ 30 secs , so you can easily have 3 games in one day. Why don't you run galway congress as you are in locality ?

Well, the ICU didn't allow the FIDE rapidplay to be rated despite FIDE and the ICU having previously announced that it would be, so I wouldn't be too hopeful about the ICU allowing the Congress to be FIDE-rated...

And besides, there wouldn't be enough players with a FIDE-rating to enable the tournament to be properly FIDE-rated, as you have to play against a certain number of FIDE-rated players to get a rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rob51

I feel like a broken record dragging up the NCC again, but that is the best example I can think of; "Cancelled" by the PRO with an unofficial and poorly written message on the ICU site because this individual wanted it rescheduled for Dublin so that his team could play
    The NCC is one of two competitions 'organised' directly by the ICU and they turned it into a farce with that cancellation attempt.
    I also note it has not been rated and there is no report on the ICU website(s). Apparently it just never happened. A genuine un-tournament. This use of the rating system as a plaything of the Executive is unprecented to my knowledge. Nobody has given the Executive the power to decide which tournaments will be rated. Games were played and results recorded this messing is an insult to the integrity of the rating system.
    P.S. As I didn't play in the NCC I don't have a personal stake in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

rob51 wrote: »
    The NCC is one of two competitions 'organised' directly by the ICU and they turned it into a farce with that cancellation attempt.
    I also note it has not been rated and there is no report on the ICU website(s). Apparently it just never happened. A genuine un-tournament. This use of the rating system as a plaything of the Executive is unprecented to my knowledge. Nobody has given the Executive the power to decide which tournaments will be rated. Games were played and results recorded this messing is an insult to the integrity of the rating system.

I'd a 2250 rating performance... stings :/ also, another player i drafted in for it (who was specifically there for FIDE rated games) would have gained 30-40 points. Our games were all played (legitimately) against different teams and opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

rob51 wrote: »

The ICU probably asked the Ennis club to pay €300 to the ICU to FIDE rate the event.

What's odd is that they have stated they would rate the Rapidplay AND the NCC. Nothing was stopping them from rating either event, except that they wanted to cancel the NCC so were probably looking for any excuse to invalidate it.

It was grossly negligent to not inform members that the rapidplay mightn't be rated or that a similar ultimatum was given to the Ennis Congress. As a result they permitted members to enter the Rapidplay with the ICU's blessing it would be rated to only revoke it a few days before the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Anyone notice the Calendar on the icu site hasn't been updated in what must be months... No info on Kilkenny, or Bunratty next year, or the Irish Championships and Galway hasn't been removed (they're only 4 of our most important events...). You'd think that they could have at least taken Galway off when they were busily writing up 500 word essays criticizing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Kilkenny's always announced fairly late anyway in fairness.

But Galway being there does indicate it's not being updated.

Advertisement