Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

• 31-05-2014 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Not sure if this will be a goer, but personally I like the idea of having a place to pose some random questions about running related stuff that don’t justify a thread of their own. I’ll kick it off.

- What is the best time of the day to drink your beetjuice?
    - Why do cyclists take precedence over runners in the phoenix park and have a lane of their own? I see as many runners as cyclists there if not more?
    - Does wearing high heels 7 days a week (when you're not running;)) have a bad impact on your running style?
    - Why do some people log out of boards while they’re reading so their green light is not on? We all know they're reading as they answer stuff straight away but they log out immediately they post and thank stuff.
    - Along with being naturally faster, do men have another distinct advantage in running over women in that they have no boobs?
    - Does anyone else feel that the majority of people posting in this forum are middle-class? Is running more of a middle-class activity?
    - Is this a stupid idea for a thread :confused:

So if you can answer one of these things for me, fire ahead and if you can answer all of them then woo hoo:D

So what would you like to ask?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ososlo wrote: »
    - Why do some people log out of boards while they’re reading so their green light is not on? We all know they're reading as they answer stuff straight away but they log out immediately they post and thank stuff.

They don't log out. They just set their profile to 'invisible'. You can do this through they Control Panel http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions. It's a feature for people like me so we can be on boards all day but don't want everyone to know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Not sure if this will be a goer, but personally I like the idea of having a place to pose some random questions about running related stuff that don’t justify a thread of their own. I’ll kick it off.

- What is the best time of the day to drink your beetjuice? No idea, don't drink it
    - Why do cyclists take precedence over runners in the phoenix park and have a lane of their own? I see as many runners as cyclists there if not more? I agree and don't know why they're treated so well, especially as the paths are often flooded when it's raining.
    - Does wearing high heels 7 days a week (when you're not running;)) have a bad impact on your running style? Again, no idea.
    - Why do some people log out of boards while they’re reading so their green light is not on? We all know they're reading as they answer stuff straight away but they log out immediately they post and thank stuff. I often check it on the mobile. Not sure if that shows me logged in or not?
    - Along with being naturally faster, do men have another distinct advantage in running over women in that they have no boobs? Some men do have boobs :rolleyes:
    - Does anyone else feel that the majority of people posting in this forum are middle-class? Is running more of a middle-class activity? Definitely not. I'm not middle class and Tallaght has an Athletics Club :pac:

So if you can answer one of these things for me, fire ahead and if you can answer all of them then woo hoo:D

Probably not very helpful....

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

- What is the best time of the day to drink your beetjuice?
    - Why do cyclists take precedence over runners in the phoenix park and have a lane of their own? I see as many runners as cyclists there if not more?
    - Does wearing high heels 7 days a week (when you're not running;)) have a bad impact on your running style?
    - Along with being naturally faster, do men have another distinct advantage in running over women in that they have no boobs?
    - Does anyone else feel that the majority of people posting in this forum are middle-class? Is running more of a middle-class activity?

I think it's a great thread.

Wouldn't most elite women have very little breast tissue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

menoscemo wrote: »
    They don't log out. They just set their profile to 'invisible'. You can do this through they Control Panel http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions. It's a feature for people like me so we can be on boards all day but don't want everyone to know :pac:
    Well you learn something new every day! Thanks menoscemo!

walshb wrote: »
    I think it's a great thread.

Wouldn't most elite women have very little breast tissue?

I suppose I'm talking more your average committed fun runner rather than elite who are obviously a different species!

• Advertisement

Actually I have another one that's been bugging me for years. Who exactly was tergat? Was that his real name? Was he a runner or a coach or both? Where is he now? Is he Irish?

Actually I have another one that's been bugging me for years. Who exactly was tergat? Was that his real name? Was he a runner or a coach or both? Where is he now? Is he Irish?

Is that Paul Tergat? Great runner. Think Geb broke his heart in an Olympic final?

I suppose I'm talking more your average committed fun runner rather than elite who are obviously a different species!

Thought so. I would say it has a negative impact for women. And, the bustier the more negatively impacting!

Is that Paul Tergat? Great runner. Think Geb broke his heart in an Olympic final?

The only tergat I could find by research was the one you mentioned above but there was a poster called tergat who posted here a lot a few years ago (before my time but I regularly bookmark his posts) but it was hardly the same guy? Or was it?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65029011
    brilliant information in his posts

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

All that and more. A knowledgeable coach who wrote good stuff on this forum but silent since early 2013.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=92527

• Advertisement

Burgman wrote: »
    All that and more. A knowledgeable coach who wrote good stuff on this forum but silent since early 2013.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=92527

So it was the same guy then? Wow!

So it was the same guy then? Wow!

I am pretty sure Tergat the poster is not actually Paul Tergat. I am sure someone on here knows him. I heard he was a coach down in cork.

I am pretty sure Tergat the poster is not actually Paul Tergat. I am sure someone on here knows him. I heard he was a coach down in cork.

It'd be nice to find out for sure.
    My light's off now just like yours;)

It'd be nice to find out for sure.
    My light's off now just like yours;)

I'm heading out in 30 minutes, I swear!!

I'm heading out in 30 minutes, I swear!!

Me too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Where is this light you speak of? Edit to add I see the light, I never noticed it before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

This is an interesting idea for a thread.

I can't help with any of it to be honest because I'm pretty clueless about running other than sticking one foot in front of the other. I can tell you that I'm definitely working class, as are all my buddies that run. I'm not entirely sure what makes someone middle class but I don't think I know any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Here's an interesting one regarding footwear...

Are racing flats meant to be malleable and bendable or should they have a stronger more solid sole?
    Am thinking flexible minimalist type shoe vs track spike which has a sturdier sole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

- What is the best time of the day to drink your beetjuice?An expensive fad. Don't get caught up in it.
    - Why do cyclists take precedence over runners in the phoenix park and have a lane of their own? I see as many runners as cyclists there if not more?Can't answer, no longer train there.
    - Does wearing high heels 7 days a week (when you're not running;)) have a bad impact on your running style?Yes. Dont wear them 7 days a week.
    - Why do some people log out of boards while they’re reading so their green light is not on? We all know they're reading as they answer stuff straight away but they log out immediately they post and thank stuff. Maybe they flick between forums. Also, whats the refresh rate. Happens on facebook, looks like someone is still logged in about 10 mins after they logged out.
    - Along with being naturally faster, do men have another distinct advantage in running over women in that they have no boobs? Yes. But it depends on how big the boobs are!!
    - Does anyone else feel that the majority of people posting in this forum are middle-class? Is running more of a middle-class activity?No. Look at the amount of posters who are members of Tallaght AC.:pac:
    - Is this a stupid idea for a thread :confused:No, Could be fun.
    BOOM:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

- What is the best time of the day to drink your beetjuice?1-2 hrs before your event
    - Why do cyclists take precedence over runners in the phoenix park and have a lane of their own? I see as many runners as cyclists there if not more?Because in runner v cyclist, the runner loses.
    - Does wearing high heels 7 days a week (when you're not running;)) have a bad impact on your running style?No
    - Why do some people log out of boards while they’re reading so their green light is not on? We all know they're reading as they answer stuff straight away but they log out immediately they post and thank stuff. Answered
    - Along with being naturally faster, do men have another distinct advantage in running over women in that they have no boobs? Yes
    - Does anyone else feel that the majority of people posting in this forum are middle-class? Is running more of a middle-class activity?Yes, No - but jogging is a middle-class activity
    - Is this a stupid idea for a thread :confused:No

• Advertisement

gerard_65 wrote: »
    What is the best time of the day to drink your beetjuice?An expensive fad. Don't get caught up in it.
    BOOM:pac:

well whether that's true or not, simple fact is that it's one of your five a day so I'm not losing out either way!

dna_leri wrote: »
    - What is the best time of the day to drink your beetjuice?1-2 hrs before your event
    So if you have it everyday (not just race days), you should have it 1-2 hours before your run for max benefit yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

So if you have it everyday (not just race days), you should have it 1-2 hours before your run for max benefit yes?
    Tried drinking beetroot juice before..its a bit vinigriee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Im a believer in the beetroot juice thing and Im very suspious of diet fads. Beetroot juice definitely makes me stronger in long races of marathon or over. I juice my own rather than buy commercial ready made product. /what I have noticed with the stuff I juice myself my pee turns purple, this does not happen with the shop bought product which leads me to believe the home made stuff is more potent. I only drikn it in the 3 wees leading up to big races.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

ultrapercy wrote: »
    my pee turns purple

I noticed this too when eating actual beetroot.
    ultrapercy wrote: »
    I only drikn it in the 3 wees leading up to big races

So you go a little bit further in the name of improvement and drink your own urine??? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Pray tell, where would one purchase this magic beetjuice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

donglen wrote: »
    Holland and Barrett. But bring loads on money. for the amount your meant to drink you'll be skint. Be cheaper doing your own as ultrapercy, but be warned, the stuff stains and turns your pee pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

donglen wrote: »

Supervalu have it too never bought it tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Rather than buying beet juice just eat beetroot/celery/spinach/lettuce/cress - but make sure you're not eating organic stuff - it's the nitrates you're after.

The body converts nitrates to nitrite, which is then converted to nitrite oxide. Nitrite oxide is what you want:

Nitrite oxide is a signalling molecule and helps with vasodilation. Vasodilation/widening of blood vessels is important because it promotes/modulates blood flow to muscles, and assists/is important in cellular respiration and muscular contractions.

I've found beet juice to be efficacious in aiding recovery after hard sessions - this is probably due to vasodilation.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sports-nutrition-is-dietary-nitrate-the-key-to-enhanced-endurance-performance-41930

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Its best drank cold. Its fine to get used to when cold. Warm its hard to take.

Advertisement