Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers Offering 'Advice'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Hi Humbert

In the 1999 EU commission document "cycling the way ahead for towns and cities" there is a diagram pointing out why this type of design can be dangerous.

Do you have any pictures of the junction layouts? Are there gaps in the parking either side of the junctions so cyclists and motorists can see each other?

From memory the parking needs to stop 30m back from the junction (it could be more)

Have there been other incidents of harrassment or threatening behaviour towards cyclists using the normal road?

I don't have other pictures (I just happened to take that one because of the laughable mess of tracks painted on the road) at the moment but next time I'm in I'll take a few and stick them up.

I'm not sure where the parking officially ends but I'm almost certain there are cars parked within 30m of the junction. I don't think the parking has changed from this other than to be moved out but as I say I'll take pictures.

That's the only incident of aggression that I'm aware of. Very few people cycle in Dundalk and many that do would still see the car as having the right of way and stay in or use the footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Completely forgot about this but for anyone who's interested here are some photos. Definitely not 30m.
    221830.jpg

221828.jpg

221829.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That second picture looks fun. Can't beat those ridged slabs they've put in the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

To be fair to whatever planner came up with this, on paper it makes absolute sense.

It gives cyclists a seperate lane, thereby removing them from the direct danger of the other vehicles.

Motorists are still able to drive and park their vehicles, so everyone is a winner.

Sounds great, on paper! Major problem with people opening and closing doors not expecting a cyclist on the inside.
    2nd problem, is that the drivers exiting the side road seem to believe that the red lane doesn't represent a lane and as such they are free to enter it without being able to enter the roadway.

To the planner, this is really just a problem with education and not something inherently worng with the design.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

humbert wrote: »
    PS. The photo was taken a while ago, the roadworks are finished. Perhaps there has already been mention of these cycle lanes, if there hasn't I'm surprised.

What the bloody hell are they? :eek:

I had something similar happen to me a couple of months ago. The lane goes in beyond the footpath then onto the footpath (via a lip) theres a bus shelter that is always surrounded with people waiting for the bus smack bang in the middle of the cycle lane then it continues on to rejoin the road via another lip :mad: On the road there are a few sorta islands jutting out designed to stop speeding. A bike navigates this section of road much quicker than cars but one car took exception to me being there and sped up as I got to the islands to try and bully me off the road, beeping and gesturing.

Sadly I saw red.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ballyfermot+Road,+Dublin,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.343275,-6.366062&spn=0.030746,0.055189&sll=36.031332,-108.808594&sspn=42.156578,56.513672&oq=ballyfermot+road+d&hq=Ballyfermot+Road,&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=m&fll=53.342507,-6.36632&fspn=0.030746,0.055189&z=14&layer=c&cbll=53.343233,-6.365717&panoid=9JB_NTMc1B3ls-4PHrTGMg&cbp=12,88.56,,0,0.63

I turn right out of Blackditch drive, if you continue on down you'll see the islands. Best part is cycle lane at this stage is actual a broken white line, continuous white line further back. Next time I won't see red and I'll say that to him with a smile :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

@humbert similar experience happened me cycling through dundalk last week, the "cycle lane" on jocylen st became a glorfied car partk.

last week i was cycling into town on the carrick road when a "young whipper snapper" of a driver decided it would be a sensible move to overtake me, i was cycling pratically on the yellow line on the road, while another car was heading in the oposite direction on the oposite side of the raod. the guy that overtook me shouted some random obsenity at my while driving....and talking on his mobile phone.......what a git

Advertisement