Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many of you actively gig/sing in public?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

^^Good job! :)

I've done a couple of weddings recently as well. Only as part of a group though, not solo.

My a-capella group are also appearing at a major international festival in July and I've a solo in one song of our set, it's going to be brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Good work. I'd love to do weddings when I have a bit more training behind me, I think I'd have to start off doing family/friend ones for experience first though...
    Is that how everyone starts doing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

bluewolf wrote: »
    Good work. I'd love to do weddings when I have a bit more training behind me, I think I'd have to start off doing family/friend ones for experience first though...
    Is that how everyone starts doing them?

That's hardly fair on your family and friends. If you're going to ruin a wedding, better it be that of strangers, rather than the nuptials of friends or family members. I don't think you're being very considerate!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

9959 wrote: »
    That's hardly fair on your family and friends. If you're going to ruin a wedding, better it be that of strangers, rather than the nuptials of friends or family members. I don't think you're being very considerate!

Are you... joking?
    Ruin a wedding? jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I think it's a very reasonable comment to make. Nobody wants someone who's just figuring out how to sing to perform at what a lot of women call the most special day of their lives.
    If you are indeed getting trained as you suggested above, your coach should be talking you out of such an idea.

Go to open mic, join a choir/musical society, start busking, etc.
    Get your chops in front of a less discerning and volatile clientele. Then go for weddings.

• Advertisement

I think it's an incredibly rude comment to make, I don't even know where to start on why.
    "Just figuring out how to sing"?? Or that I'd force myself on people who haven't heard me perform before??
    I asked where people start on weddings because I imagined I would do the first ones free, not because I listened to the bloody xfactor one night and decided I'm a singer
    Forget I asked!

wet-paint wrote: »
    I think it's a very reasonable comment to make. Nobody wants someone who's just figuring out how to sing to perform at what a lot of women call the most special day of their lives.
    If you are indeed getting trained as you suggested above, your coach should be talking you out of such an idea.

Go to open mic, join a choir/musical society, start busking, etc.
    Get your chops in front of a less discerning and volatile clientele. Then go for weddings.

Hear, hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Keep it civil or bans will be handed out. This is a friendly forum. If you can''t understand that concept, then its best that you find another forum to post in.

Wurly

Mod hat removed: I just want to add that LOADS of people ask friends/family to sing at weddings because it makes the occasion more special. I mean, Bluewolf's comment hardly said that she was going to just gatecrash the wedding and start singing. I think she meant, start out where she's comfortable, having obviously been asked in the first place. The posters that mentioned 'ruining weddings' and the like are insinuating that the girl is a bad singer. How can we make that judgement? It's possible to be a great singer without a lot of training. Some people just have it and need very little work. Others have great voices also but don't think that they do because their confidence is low. So they down play their abilities to others. Comments like the ones made above don't help matters, tbh.

I take it all back, go for it Bluewolf and howl your heart out, for most people the wedding is already ruined by the time they get to the poorly delivered best-man's speech and the ill-conceived sticky toffee pudding, you belting out 'I Will Survive' to an ageing relative attempting the Watusi will most likely be ignored by the majority of the blind-drunk revellers, so no harm done. Good luck to you, and here's hoping that you do indeed 'survive' your first wedding 'engagement', just remember the first names of the bride and groom (usually Sean and Una) and you won't go far wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

To answer bluewolf's original question, it was people I was connected to whose weddings I have sung at so far.

In other news, I'll be performing at the Salzburg Festival ina few weeks. Can't say how much I'm looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement