Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Just watched the trailer. That's it! Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Movie from I think late 60s set in the American deep south.A black man goes to kill a racist elderly white man who mistreated him when he was young.The black man has a gun in a shoebox that he carries around with him.At the end of the movie he catches up with the white man who is working on his farm with a combine harvester or some kind of machine like that.The black man confronts him and is going to shoot him but then pushes him into the machine and hes killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mstq

Hi guys

When I went to deadpool premiere in VUE in liffey, I saw a trailer for a movie - it was about a fat kid who was sent to live with like a foster family, but they were ***** so he run away. i think his foster father found him in the forest and then him and his foster father decided to run away from police [they were being chased for some reason]. it could have been an aussie/nz movie.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭evilcloud

mstq wrote: »
    Hi guys

When I went to deadpool premiere in VUE in liffey, I saw a trailer for a movie - it was about a fat kid who was sent to live with like a foster family, but they were ***** so he run away. i think his foster father found him in the forest and then him and his foster father decided to run away from police [they were being chased for some reason]. it could have been an aussie/nz movie.

Any ideas?

Hunt for the wilderpeople

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Brothers looking for a film here but there's very little to go on, most likely a 90s American film, about 2 young boys who build a plane and fly it but rolling it down the hill or something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Got it Radio Flyer 1992. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

evilcloud wrote: »
    Hunt for the wilderpeople

Which is a great NZ filmy by the way. Went to see it at the weekend. Fairly standard kiwi-esque flick in the background but it's very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Movie released in 2015-ish - sort of a biography - about a woman who came from a UK stately home - and went to work as a secret agent during WWII - came back to stately home after the war, and the movie was about her life (and was ostracised or something????? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

aonb wrote: »
    Movie released in 2015-ish - sort of a biography - about a woman who came from a UK stately home - and went to work as a secret agent during WWII - came back to stately home after the war, and the movie was about her life (and was ostracised or something????? )
    Sounds like TVNZ docu-drama Nancy Wake: The White Mouse

tricky D wrote: »
    Sounds like TVNZ docu-drama Nancy Wake: The White Mouse

Thank you very much, but no, not this one 8-( Its driving me mad, it was set in UK, centred around the fact that this secret agent woman was one of an aristocratic English Family, with lots of emphasis on the family mansion etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Looks like you might have to go through something like this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Female_wartime_spies Happy hunting.

yes, will have a trawl through Wikipedia (again!) - saw a TRAILER for this movie in the cinema last year, maybe someone will remember it yet . Thank you for the suggestion

aonb wrote: »
    Any chance it is: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441953/

Thanks Wextext but no - that one looks good, have added to my "To Watch" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Ok here's a strange one for ya, I saw it about 6-7 yrs back but I am pretty sure it was a late 60s early 70s film. Watched it late one friday night on RTE

Details, A British movie, all I can remember was a few scenes, the general theme was there was some kind of swimming contest down in Devon or Cornwall area where the competitors had to swim out to sea to a boat or something, anyway there were some football hooligans from London who were causing all sorts of chaos including destroying a model railway which was in the middle of the resort. There was lots of fighting and jealous boyfriends and so on, it was actually pretty crap but for some reason I would love to watch it again! (work that one out) !

I would be shocked if anyone gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

A friend seen a film and its bothering him he cant remember the name.. At the start a family are having breakfast, they notice their neighbours are going off in their cars so they jump into their car and speed off. They get stuck in a traffic jam and see an airforce bombing the town. The son and daughter hide in the woods and meet a guy in a cabin, the daughter and the man in the cabin kiss.. lol this is what he remembers, anyone any idea what the name is

They were white americans, the girl late teens looking after her younger brother, when they leave in the car after breakfast, they get stuck in a traffic jam with all the people trying to escape, airplanes start bombing the town, the boy and girl go hide, cant remember where the parents go.. There is a boy who is late teens, he lives in a cabin. He meets and looks after them, then they are all being searched for. He thinks there was a virus and it was an outbreak and they were trying to contain it to the town. He fell asleep so doesnt know anything more about it, it was on show box or another movie app he seen it..

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Late 60s early 70s British Sci-Fi movie.Something to do with UFOs or Aliens,there was a scene of a jet fighter being sucked up into a UFO by a beam.Don't remember too much else except the main male actor had a moustache and there was a sexy female scientist.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Sounds similar to "This Island Earth (1955)", although that was an american movie

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

misty76 wrote: »
    A friend seen a film and its bothering him he cant remember the name.. At the start a family are having breakfast, they notice their neighbours are going off in their cars so they jump into their car and speed off. They get stuck in a traffic jam and see an airforce bombing the town. The son and daughter hide in the woods and meet a guy in a cabin, the daughter and the man in the cabin kiss.. lol this is what he remembers, anyone any idea what the name is

They were white americans, the girl late teens looking after her younger brother, when they leave in the car after breakfast, they get stuck in a traffic jam with all the people trying to escape, airplanes start bombing the town, the boy and girl go hide, cant remember where the parents go.. There is a boy who is late teens, he lives in a cabin. He meets and looks after them, then they are all being searched for. He thinks there was a virus and it was an outbreak and they were trying to contain it to the town. He fell asleep so doesnt know anything more about it, it was on show box or another movie app he seen it..

Anyone any ideas? another part of the film, the girl and the guy are talking outside on a bench in front of the cabin and then they kiss.. cannot find anything for this movie and it wasnt a dream im told : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

I'm hoping someone can help with this.
    It's I think a British movie, could be a made-for-TV thing.
    It's similar to This is Spinal Tap in that it's a comedy about an inept (rock?) band. Can't remember if it's a comedy or a mockumentary.
    Would have been released late 80s or early 90s.
    The only scene that I remember clearly is when the band area walking past a cardboard cutout of Barry Manilow, and one of them punches it and says "I hate Barry Manilow".
    Would love it if someone could identify it! I saw it when I was in school and haven't been able to find it since. Google hasn't helped me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

fjon wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone can help with this.
    It's I think a British movie, could be a made-for-TV thing.
    It's similar to This is Spinal Tap in that it's a comedy about an inept (rock?) band. Can't remember if it's a comedy or a mockumentary.
    Would have been released late 80s or early 90s.
    The only scene that I remember clearly is when the band area walking past a cardboard cutout of Barry Manilow, and one of them punches it and says "I hate Barry Manilow".
    Would love it if someone could identify it! I saw it when I was in school and haven't been able to find it since. Google hasn't helped me.

Can't remember the Barry Manilow part but it sounds like The Comic Strip presents The Bad News Tour. On the phone duo can't figure how to link it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Can't remember the Barry Manilow part but it sounds like The Comic Strip presents The Bad News Tour. On the phone duo can't figure how to link it.

That's it! Thank you so much! And I also managed to find a link to it online. I bet it's nowhere near as good as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

fjon wrote: »
    That's it! Thank you so much! And I also managed to find a link to it online. I bet it's nowhere near as good as I remember.

You should watch their version of the Famous Five. Quality stuff.

You should watch their version of the Famous Five. Quality stuff.

That's "Five go mad in Dorset". Loved that.

Here a list of TV episodes and movies:
    http://epguides.com/ComicStripPresents/guide.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

misty76 wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas? another part of the film, the girl and the guy are talking outside on a bench in front of the cabin and then they kiss.. cannot find anything for this movie and it wasnt a dream im told : )

sounds like How I live now with Saoirse Ronan

drake70 wrote: »
    Sounds similar to "This Island Earth (1955)", although that was an american movie

No,it was certainly a British based film and no earlier than late 60s.The plane might have been disintegrating or disappearing mid air but there was something about it being caught in a beam.

No,it was certainly a British based film and no earlier than late 60s.The plane might have been disintegrating or disappearing mid air but there was something about it being caught in a beam.

Could possibly be a Quatermass film, I know John Mills played Quatermass in the 70's but I think that was a miniseries. A beam of white light did appear a lot in this.

Found link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078129/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Quatermass and McCorkindale have moustaches, and a space shuttle is destroyed by a beam of light in part III.

See wiki for plot details. Some bits up on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ben_Nevis

How's about this one:

I remember as a kid a movie I watched, might have seen it once or twice, for the life of me cannot remember what it was called.

It was about a kid and I think he jumped into a cartoon world - it isn't the one with Macauley Culkin but similar. All I remember was at the end seeing those red and white swirls that you see at barber shops, and when he came back to his 3D regular world, although he had been gone for hours, he had in fact only been gone a very short time.

Any help?!

• Advertisement

drake70 wrote: »
    Could possibly be a Quatermass film, I know John Mills played Quatermass in the 70's but I think that was a miniseries. A beam of white light did appear a lot in this.

Found link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078129/
    Quatermass and McCorkindale have moustaches, and a space shuttle is destroyed by a beam of light in part III.

See wiki for plot details. Some bits up on youtube.

Thanks,but having looked up the details I'm pretty sure it wasn't any of the Quartermass films,TV series.I actually remember it being kind of dull and eventless and not much happening in it,harldly any special effects apart from the beam and I don't remember seeing any aliens in it.

Advertisement