Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So what Tattoos do you really hate????And what type are you most in to???

Options
  • 17-06-2003 7:50pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For me its these "Patriotism" Tattoos
    Irish flags and the likes.Also those love hearts with all your familys names in them.You know the ones.Also the ones you got when you were younger like Tazmanian devils,Football club symbols,and those stupid "cute" ones.

The ones I really like are the Tribal,American Indian,Polynesian etc.They seem to have a certain style about them and look different than the usual crappy ones you see in most places.I also like the futuristic,dark,necromancer type ones.
    Some of the chinese ones are amazing aswell like the ones you see hanging in your local chinese takeaway.Ive seen a full back design done in chinese style and that looked really well.
    Richie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Really dislike the big tribal blocky ones, way too poular with stupid teenage girls who get them on the base of their backs.

Really like delicate, unusual and intricate celtic ones with non-celtic elements included.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Celtic crosses, dolphins and ....fighting Irish tatts.

Mostly because jesus, use your imagination, why would people want tattoo's that stacks of other people have? And fighting irish...you might as well have "scumbag" tattooed on your forehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Fetch

I dont know... i mean i have my own personal preferences but i dont want to come off elitist by saying what people should or shouldnt get put on their skin, I mean people with piercings and tattoos get a hard enough time off employers etc. without bitching about each other...

Having said that i begin my list...

Chinese symbols (especially when they dont know what they mean)

Baby portraits

certain tribal work (you know the people that "want something tribal" on their arm but dont know what)

football crests

Black american gang tattoos on white irish kids (Thugin' etc.)

flags

portraits of native americans

chinese dragons

and generally people who get tattoos that mean absolutely nothing to them... they just get them because they look "cool"

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Spur of the Moment tattoos
    and Names places/people/teams/bands and so on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Those god damn Ying Yangs, and Barbed Wire...
    Basically any kind of retard things like those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I hate Names, anything at the base of the spine, anything with roses on the arm, "gangsta" stuff, football teams..

I love tattoos that have been designed by the person who had them done. I have an infinity of ideas, but I'm too poor to get them done =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Nyx

i don't like tattoos that are visible when wearing "normal weekday" clothes. ie. anything on the arms. i'm trying to dissuade my brother from getting one right now, because its been my experience that guys with arm tattoos are generally looked upon as "dodgy" by bouncers etc. couple that with an english accent = you ain't gettin in pal. not that i think its right, i've just seen it happen a lot. i think that mostly applies to the obnoxious "popeye" tattoos.
    i saw a girl the other day with the liverpool crest and name tattoo'd on the base of her spine, i mean wtf?
    i agree with the chinese symbols. unless you actually speak the language, give it up. they could be marking you with "i swallow" for all you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Im not mad about tattoos that are all in the same stlye. some can look nice though. i like a mix or blend of a couple of different stlyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

anything cartoony or obnoxious patriotism all the usual really i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 meesha_beesha

Those red devil women. Kanji. Barcodes. Looney Tunes characters (Tweety Bird, etc). Movie characters (ie: Darth Vader).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

I don't particularly like dolphins and cartoony characters, grim reapers are so common they've become a bit boring, names, flags etc. are all ones I'd avoid as well.

I like some Celtic designs, some tribal too, anything unusual and intricate really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

I'd like to get a big one done, from my upper arm over my shoulder and, on the opposite side, somewhere around my hip. The two would almost link along my back. I have a design idea but nothing on paper. Its a big one so I dont think ill be able to afford it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Anything that doesn't mean something to the tattooee.
    I remember watching one of those 'uncovered' shows where some kid went into a studio to get a tatt just for the sake of getting one (and maybe a bit of angsty parental rebellion or whatever). He didn't know what he wanted when he went in, so he had a look through the example books and eventually decided on a Yosamite Sam tattoo somewhere on his back. I sat there thinking to myself 'what a fu<king spa' - it was fairly obvious that he'd regret it a few months down the line.
    It's also a bit sad to see these girls going round with some crap on the base of their spine or a dolphin somewhere, or lads with a celtic band on the arm - pure originality tbh.

I think the oldskool jailhouse type tatts look manky (the ones that turn into a sort of faded blue, but then again I'd imagine Mountjoy probably doesn't have the most modern facilities (compass and biro ink?).

I'm not in much of a position to moan about silly cartoony tattoos myself (smiley face on my arm :) ) but at least mine means something to me (and it's reasonably original).

Useless fact #1346: A pic of my smiley tattoo was supposed to be projected on the ha'penny bridge as part of a conceptual art project Net House was involved in a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hate sailor tattoos, patriotic tattoos, anything other than black tattoos really.

Would like to see a few of these "neuromancer type" tattoos. Haven't seen them.

Thinking of getting one with a variation of the drama style happy face/sad face logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

hate obnoxious patriotism.... met this wacked out scotsman once who had a photorealistic tatto of william wallace on his arm thast made him extremely proud to be scottish, despite the fact that the actual tattoo was basically mel gibson with facepaint and all... heheheh and he was a scary basterd for more reasons than that....

looooove anything aztech/celtic or, best of all aztech AND celtic
    and "thug life" gang tattoos ROCK MY WORLD

football tats - ****e, why? why do you want to have a crest from some foreign sprots club on your body... why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

A mate got a tattoo of the binary equivalent of the date his father passed away. That to me is very impressive. I myself don't have a tattoo, but if I was to get one, it would have to represent something important such as the one above. I'm not one for admiring a tattoo because it looks good, but rather what it means to the bearer.

Something that I saw few years back comes to mind, which was a bald guy with a barcode on the back of his head. I thought it looked well kewl, and for me raised some interesting philisophical questions. On the otherhand I've seen people with barcodes many times since, but it didn't look as kewl as the bald guy's one. So I suppose the fact that it's common kinda puts me off it.

I can never see myself getting one because I don't think I could find something that I'd be happy with. But time may change that.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think as a country we have very poor taste in tattoos. I was at the national tattoo fair a couple of years ago getting one done, and most of the artists were foreigners. So there was a lot of people with really cool tattoos giving awful designs to locals. There was this one army sergant from Dublin getting some nondescript celtic crap on his achilles, mainly to fill the space.

At the other end of the scale, there was one Spanish girl who could have been a poster girl for body art. She had shocking red hair, lots of piercings without having a face full of metal, and a small amount of large, colourful tattoos. The only one I can remember was a great chinese dragon winding around her upper arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gringo

yeha tribal and chinese witing look stupid cause everyone has me and you never know what they mean not to mention football teams and flags all look stupid to me.

supose as well depends on the person that has it.

should be getting my first tatt soon but probably gonna get it first as a non permanent to be sure i like it, know a few pwople in college and work that got em done thought they liked em but after a month weren't to pleased. figure its a good way to be sure

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Hate sailor tattoos, patriotic tattoos, anything other than black tattoos really.

Would like to see a few of these "neuromancer type" tattoos. Haven't seen them.

Thinking of getting one with a variation of the drama style happy face/sad face logo.

Here a link for you

http://www.jaystrange.com/darin/dsgallery2.html

I suppose when I said neuromancer type I meant those dark neo-industrial tattoos which are basically futristic updates of ones you see around.They do look unusual though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

im getting 'love willl conquer all' written on my hip/back. i know its sounds corny and cheesy but an anniversary of a not so good time is cumming up, and it perfectly commemorates it. i also think it sounds and will look beautiful.

m
    x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

all the usual, common every-day bs ones that have already been mentioned. ohh and "renegade" D4 slappers who get a stupid looking design above thier fat pampered holes.

What I would love and what I would definatly get done if i ever found/concieved is a design that kind of represented atheism.
    something like the mathematical symbol that they use for the Grand Unifying Theory if its ever discovered, which is incredibly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I want to get a tatoo of myself......Only bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Im getting my 3/4 sleeve started in a few weeks here a VERY rough idea of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

that whole base of spine that women are doing is pissing me off will you ever grow up and be original FFS bunch of sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stretch

I just have the happy sad faces on my left shoulder, been there 10 years now. It's a pretty conventional image but everytime I question it get the same answer back which basically tells me I was right to do in the first place.

I now want a second one, have done for a couple of years actually, and have my own design in mind. If the tats are for you and not for public review then it doesn't matter really what you get done so long as there is some significance there that you're happy to live with, but I guess no-one wants something that looks crap or says dumbass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Catsmokinpot
    that whole base of spine that women are doing is pissing me off will you ever grow up and be original FFS bunch of sheep

Like men getting them on the shoulder? Tbh, I think men like to get them on the shoulder to show off their muscles, so when women get them at the base of the spine it's probably the sexiest part of their body they can display without offending.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Unoriginality more or less. Football crests, fighting Irish etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stretch

You may have a point about shoulders and musclesfor men, but biceps and forearms are more prominent muscular places. I think shoulder is a reasonable display area for the times when you're happy to show it while being quite discreet for when you don't.

I'm proud and pleased with mine and want another but I wouldn't be happy with them on my chest, legs or arms. That's just me and hold nothing against people who are more into it.

I really don't like ladies with tatoos at all, anywhere. base of the spine tats are sexy but cheap too and heavilly suggestive which would be difficult for me to live with. I don'y even like quaint chick tats as they just seem frivolous. Call me chauvanistic but tats are better worn by men, it's just the nature of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You may have a point about shoulders and musclesfor men, but biceps and forearms are more prominent muscular places.

Yeah but that's just a little too obvious. Plus the muscle round the shoulder usually remains fairly intact in my experience when the muscle around the biceps etc. reduces in mass/goes all flabby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭razorfeather

VICI HATES :
      tattoos of big lotus flowers chinese symbols (simply because they're too popular and like..what the hell do they mean...someone could have " im a gaylord" tattooed on them and not know... the "everybody has one" lower back tattoos ( you know the type, that like point down to ur ass crack...way too many people have them....) "cute" tattoos, as mentioned before by someone...like tweety birds n **** like that... hearts with scrolls across the middle with some name slapped in irish flags / "eire" / leprachaun tattoos... horses. why the FRIP WOULD U WANT A HORSE ON UR SKIN FOREVER????????..but i suppose, different strokes for different folks... (hehe) i hate most colour tattoos in general, unless its used with black...like black and red looks cool together for example... mostly because colour tattoos look nasty when faded / and i think they can look very tacky and just..ugh... black all the way babeh!

VICI LOVES :
      stylish-ly done fairies tribal tattoos moons / suns "wings" , (full back pieces) gothicy style skulls n **** look good when well done...they look vile if the shading is messed up though. dragons

Advertisement